+ Reply to Thread

Default can anyone help me out

I am a 27 year old male... who has noticed his hairline is starting to recede. This is driving me insane because i just got done looking at high school pictures and i had a crazy low hairline. I also went to the store and saw people who still had their juvenile hairlines and they were in their 30s!!! I always hear people talk about "adult" hairlines vs "juvenile" hairlines. Can you guys give me insight on that? Do i just have an "adult hairline?" I have a widows peak by the way. I for some reason can't buy the whole "adult" hairline stuff because i have seen so many people in their 30s with really low juvenile hairlines.

Hey guys im 27 years old. I started to notice my hairline gradually receding from my early 20s. I have long hair so it covers up alot of the early receding. I have a few question for the experts on here if you don't mind me asking.

1. I was wondering what i am on the norwood scale?
    2. Should i start propecia?
    3. If worst comes to worst how many graft hair transplant do i need?
    4. I heard some people say it is not good to get a hair transplant when you just start to lose hair.. why is that? I am a noob so excuse my dumb questions.
    5. Does propecia help with the frontal or does it only thicken up the vertex?
    6. I used to cut my hair short all the time now im afraid if i cut it bald people see how badly i am receding. Any advice is appreciated fellas.
    7. If i just let my hair stay relaxed when it is long or even pony tail it when it is long it is not that noticeable. The only time it is noticeable is when i pull it back and take a picture like i did below.

Here are some of my photos... if you guys need clearer shots let me know or if any experts want to see me via skype let me know as well through pm i wil shoot you my skype. (no homo)

here is the direct link guys. if you feel the pics are not clear enough or want me to take them from different angles just let me know via pm or the forum. Thanks!
    pics: 1, 2, 6, 7, 9 13 at when the hairline is at its worst.... imo the rest of the pics don't look too bad..
    http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/...rtingToRecede/
    http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/...731-165856.jpg (just in case that link does not work i started it from the picture)

Your links aren't working. You seem to have pasted the URLs in truncated form, so you'll need to go back and copy the full URL and then paste it here.

Men of all ages (including much older men) can have juvenile hairlines, but some develop an "adult" or "mature" hairline which basically means slight recession which then doesn't progress any further (or at least not for a while). This can occur at quite a young age. It's all part of human variation.

The only question I can really address without seeing the photos is the one about Propecia. It can work at the hairline, but is less successful there than it is further back on the scalp. Like all aspects of hairloss, treatment success varies from person to person so it's impossible to tell you how you'll respond.

Remember that Propecia can thicken hair or regrow it, but part of what it can achieve is simply maintaining hair and slowing the hairloss process down.
    When we start taking Propecia we all hope that we'll be the best responder ever and that we'll see our hairloss totally reversed, but maintenance is more likely and it's a very worthwhile result.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi

I could't access your links so can't see the pictures sorry.
    But I'll do my best to help with your queries

Should i start propecia?......

I would see a doctor in IAHRS to get an assessment. You may just have a maturing hairline, if so then you are one of the lucky ones. If not, then the doc will discuss a prescription.

If you have relatively minimal loss, then you should not be thinking about surgery straight off the bat. You have a finite amount of donor hair and you want to use this wisely. A good doctor will advise on this. Your main goal should be to try and prevent further loss and then see how effective this proves to be. You may even get a little regrowth but that should be seen as a bonus. Surgery is always there and should be a later consideration.

I would certainly consider a shorter cut. It makes the hair look thicker and there are numerous cuts that can soften then appearance of a receding hairline. Long hair and recession is a big no no in my opinion. Opt for a medium length if you feel more comftable.

There are differing opinions on propecia effectiveness on the frontal scalp. My feeling is don't expect regrowth (but not impossible). A more realistic goal would be to hope it slows it down / stops the recession. This is quite likely.

In general it sounds like you are in the early stages. That is good news! you have a good chance of tackling the problem early on.

Best of luck you!

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Your links aren't working. You seem to have pasted the URLs in truncated form, so you'll need to go back and copy the full URL and then paste it here.

Men of all ages (including much older men) can have juvenile hairlines, but some develop an "adult" or "mature" hairline which basically means slight recession which then doesn't progress any further (or at least not for a while). This can occur at quite a young age. It's all part of human variation.

The only question I can really address without seeing the photos is the one about Propecia. It can work at the hairline, but is less successful there than it is further back on the scalp. Like all aspects of hairloss, treatment success varies from person to person so it's impossible to tell you how you'll respond.

Remember that Propecia can thicken hair or regrow it, but part of what it can achieve is simply maintaining hair and slowing the hairloss process down.
    When we start taking Propecia we all hope that we'll be the best responder ever and that we'll see our hairloss totally reversed, but maintenance is more likely and it's a very worthwhile result.
    i posted the full url but it keeps putting .... for some reason

bahhh just put your emails below if that link does not work and i will email my photos to you manually.. :::frustrated:::

The last link worked.

You still have a great hairline. I can't speak for all transplant surgeons (and even in the case of the one I work for, I can't always predict his decisions) but I suspect most would say that you shouldn't go ahead with surgery as you haven't lost enough hair.

I would say that you're about a Norwood 2 at most. NW2 recession from a hairline with a low starting position. I'm actually surprised that you've been losing hair since your early twenties as you still have a very solid hairline, both in shape and density. It's basically the epitome of an "adult" hairline, and IMO it's ideal, aesthetically speaking, with the widow's peak and temple recession lending a masculine look. I'm not sure why it would cause you worry.

Considering how long you say it's taken for your hair to recede to where it is now, I don't see any need to use Propecia. Others might beg to differ.

I would agree with Matt and his sound advice. If you remain uncertain you could get a hair bulk density assessment from a IAHRS doctor. They could advise as to what may be going on beyond the naked eye. If your hairline has changed very little over the years then it may be premature to consider propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    The last link worked.

You still have a great hairline. I can't speak for all transplant surgeons (and even in the case of the one I work for, I can't always predict his decisions) but I suspect most would say that you shouldn't go ahead with surgery as you haven't lost enough hair.

I would say that you're about a Norwood 2 at most. NW2 recession from a hairline with a low starting position. I'm actually surprised that you've been losing hair since your early twenties as you still have a very solid hairline, both in shape and density. It's basically the epitome of an "adult" hairline, and IMO it's ideal, aesthetically speaking, with the widow's peak and temple recession lending a masculine look. I'm not sure why it would cause you worry.

Considering how long you say it's taken for your hair to recede to where it is now, I don't see any need to use Propecia. Others might beg to differ.

you know whats funny.. i was pulling my hair back ALOT... that is why it looked more recessed than what it was.. you get what im saying? when i pull it back softly it does not look very recessed.. you get what im trying to say? overall if i just ponytail or just leave it normal im good to go...

I think you can go with any hairstyle you want with the amount of hair you have.