+ Reply to Thread

Default Six months after HT and concerned

Hi!

I'm a 25 yr. old male that has been dealing with hairloss since the age of 18. Initially my hairloss did not bother me, though I was very young. It began at my temples, and I steadily developed a very typical M shaped MPB over the years btwn. 18-22. I could hang with the way I looked, and it didn't seem to matter - but over the last couple years my hairloss increased to the point where it just didn't look very good, and I didn't look my age. Moreover, I received various comments from family members and close friends that I should consider doing something about my hairloss - this confirmed my feelings. This also began to have a real effect on my self-perception, self-confidence and overall outlook on life.
    I began to develop a serious case of anxiety and depression, which seemed to be a constant, in regards to my appearance and how my hairloss was affecting my life. Being a young person dealing with hairloss has been really intense - and not to sound superficial/shallow, but it's actually been one of harder issues that I've had to deal with.
    I decided to deal with my hairloss head-on (no pun intended), and went for a HT, coupled w/ a prescription for Propecia. After careful deliberation, which lasted a few months, and consisted of a lot of thought and fair amount of research, I settled on a doctor, whom I thought was legit, caring, and skilled. I went in for a 1,500 graft HT, but actually received closer to 2,000, according to my doctor. It has been six and a half months since my procedure and though I have had growth, it is not nearly as dense or apparent as I would've hoped for. I still feel self-conscious about my appearance, and now, even moreso because of the results of my operation. The hair that has grown in isn't dense enough, and it's fairly whispy, thin, and colorless (I know that this is characteristic of the initial stages). But, I really thought that by 6.5 months I would look decent - all I can see in the mirror is someone who has had a HT, with really thin looking hair, that doesn't do much to cover the baldness underneath. I know I'm supposed to be patient, and I don't think that I'm being too neurotically subjective, but given the fact that I've taken various pics in different lighting and environments, I can honestly say that my hair don't look good - still.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about my current position? I guess I'm just concerned whether the doctor that I chose was the right one, or whether the results of my procedure are going to turn out well. Plus, I'm really tired of feeling anxious and sort of depressed about my hairloss, now coupled with the anxiety of the expectations of my HT, I'm sick of dealing with this alone, and want to know what someone out there thinks. Thanks for any thoughts or comments!

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Young,

At 6.5 months, your no where near what your end result will be. Generally speaking at 9-10months, you can make a very good assessment, but your actual final result can take up to 12-16 months.

Months 3-7 are the doldrums of hair transplantation. The growth can be erratic and thin, leaving you wondering if you made the right decision.

What I want you to do is sit back and forget about your HT for a month. Quit looking in the mirror every day and stop worrying.

What's done is done.

Spencer has put together a great site, and I and others will be here once your HT matures and if something is not right we will be here to support you and help work out options.

Just sit back and relax, ok?

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Arrow

Hey youngandlosing,

I want you to know that you are NOT alone, and that you’ve found a safe place to discuss all of your concerns. I do what I do because I understand just how devastating hair loss can be, especially when dealing with it at a young age. When I was your age there were no resources like this and unfortunately, most of us were alone with our feelings.

Also know that you do not sound superficial or shallow so don’t be ashamed of your feelings. The sadness and sense of loss that I felt during the initial throes of my hair loss is what motivated me to develop these resources.

Jason has given you some sound advice. Just try to relax and see how things are in a couple of months. You might be pleasantly surprised. Feel free to vent on the forum whenever you need to express your thoughts. You can also call the show on Sundays and speak with me and Dave about your concerns.

The Bald Truth Listen Live

Hang in there.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Default Thanks

Hi Spencer and B Spot,
    I want to thank you both for taking the time to read about my situation, and make thoughtful comments, and provide me with encouraging words - it really lifted my day and made me feel much better about the situation. I want to thank Spencer for creating a community where I can express myself and speak with others who are going through similar things. And B Spot, thanks for the information about the timeline, and I will definitely try to chill out a bit, and not worry so much about everything. I guess it's just really trying to have to wait 9-10 months before feeling inclined to make judgements about the HT development. But, I'm definitely glad to know that I'm no where near the end result, and that is really reassuring... just to know that it's going to hopefully get better from here on is definitely a relief. Thanks again for all the help and support - it is much appreciated.