+ Reply to Thread

Default Terrible scalp itch and hair loss

Does anyone else have terrible itching in their thinning areas?

For the past several weeks I have been suffering from extreme scalp itch in the areas of my hair that are thinning. The itch is so severe that it is driving me crazy. Sometimes it is also accompanied by a burning sensation. I don't know what to do. I'm not currently on any medications or doing anything to treat my hair loss. At this point I've been to two diffierent dermatologists and both told me that I might have sebhorreic dermatitis, but that my scalp generally looks fine. I don't have flaking or dandruff. A full course of prescription strength Nizoral and Clobex Shampoos has failed to resolve the problem. I've also tried countless over the counter stuff: Scalpacin, Distilled Vinegar, Dandruff Shampoos, Coal Tar etc., and so far nothing has brought lasting relief from the itch. Strangely, the itching comes and goes. I do not feel itchy all the time, but when it flares up it can be so intense that it is all I can think about, and I'm almost tempted to scalp myself!

I had some hair loss before I developed this itch, but I feel like whatever is causing the itching can't be good for my hair. I'm putting this out there to the forum in case anyone has a similar problem or any insights as to possible causes or treatments. I appreciate any suggestions.

Same for me, but everytime I get that itchy feeling, it means I'm losing hair. It just comes with it I guess.

ahh the itchy scalp. I had that in the places that were thinning also, its terrible and I could not stand the sensation. I would suggest that you give propecia (fin) a try. It has really helped maintain the hair that I do have. Also, I have not had the burning itching scalp since I started it.

The itch is a common experience. Guys often say it stops once they start Propecia.

If your scalp looks fine and there's no flakiness then I don't know why a dermatologist would think that seborrheic dermatitis is to blame.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the replies. I did have flaking at one point, which is why the derms thought it was seborrhea but the flaking stopped after several days on prescription Nizoral. The prescription meds did little or nothing for the itching though. Overall, I felt both of the dermatologists I visited were kind of useless. They just sort of looked at my scalp, but didn't take biopsies or do any kind of tests or anything. Now I'm left wondering if I have something really exotic like demodex mites or candida.

I really wish someone would research the connections between hair loss and scalp itch. From what I hear from people, they seem to occur together far more often than you would guess from reading the medical literature.

Interesting about the propecia helping reduce or eliminate scalp itch. I took propecia for several months a while ago, but quit due to sides. I don't think it did much for my hair but I don't remember having any itching while I was on it. I still have some leftover, so I might try it again despite the sides, since at least for me right now the itching is disrupting my life even more than the propecia side effects did.

Right now I would do just about anything to be rid of this. Oh well, I'm off to go rub my head with the cheese grater.

I recall around 12 yes ago my head was itching and driving me insane, I scratched my scalp and drew blood, I'm convinced that day was the onset of mpb for me, it only happened once that bad, but I recall it freaked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post

Interesting about the propecia helping reduce or eliminate scalp itch. I took propecia for several months a while ago, but quit due to sides. I don't think it did much for my hair but I don't remember having any itching while I was on it. I still have some leftover, so I might try it again despite the sides, since at least for me right now the itching is disrupting my life even more than the propecia side effects did.

Right now I would do just about anything to be rid of this. Oh well, I'm off to go rub my head with the cheese grater.
    As you mentioned, there is very little in the medical literature about the itch phenomenon, but it's real. I've experienced it myself.

As it's related to hairloss it's quite logical that taking Finasteride can eliminate or lessen it. It must be related to DHT and the effect this has on the follicles.

It sounds like this itch is effecting you more than it does most people, though. There's always a chance that you're experiencing something else.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I too was going through the same problem once. I suggest that you try using homemade techniques. My sister suggested that I apply hair oil which is mixed with lemon extract. I continued applying for a month and it worked wonders for me.

I had the same problems for years, tried everything available, nothing seemed to work. Then while searching the internet I found a posting about caffiene and scalp itch. So, after years of trying everything, I decided to quit drinking coffee and other forms of caffiene.

The itch went away and has not returned. It was not easy giving up the coffee, but well worth it to get rid of the itch. Occasionally I'll cheat and have a cup of coffee and I can feel the immediate itching sensation in my scalp. Don't know if there is any relation to hair loss, but sure glad to get rid of that itch.

Good luck
    John