+ Reply to Thread

Default Is Hair Transplantation permanent?

This is the very number one question i ask my self each time i go on the forums and delve further into my research;-

Is Follicular Unit Transplantation permanent?

It seems i never get the answer i'm looking for, so i'm posting it here to see what response i get, what do we all think and is there concrete evidence (anywhere!) that HTs last a life time, or at least last for a fair amount of years.

Who's the oldest transplant patient, and i don't mean a case of a 94 year old having a HT last week, i'm talking a HT patient who had a HT (in it's earliest form) years and years ago and still has those very transplanted follicles sitting proudly in his head ...etc

If this has been answered, can you point me in the direction of 'the best' answer, please!

regards,
    57mph

Doctor Representative

When a surgeon performs a hair transplant he is taking hair from an area on the scalp where the hair is not genetically programed to go through male pattern baldness. Therefore the transplanted hair should last a lifetime. If the hair was taken outside of genetic predisposed area the transplanted hairs can fallout if the area where the hair was taken from eventually falls out. That is why it is important to go to a doctor that specializes in hair transplantation. Now all that being said it is still possible for the hair to fallout do to other reasons besides genetics, such as health reasons, medications, ect., but in most cases the transplanted hair should last forever. One other thing when we do get into our 70's the hairs can actually get thinner, but don't actually fallout.
    I am the surgical coordinator for Vladimir Panine, M.D. of the Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Please feel free to contact with any questions that you may have at stewarosenbe@aol.com

Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View Dr. Panine's IAHRS Profile

Yes and no. Doctors will take hair from the permanent norwood 7 horseshoe for transplantation. However I'm absolutely convinced some take the risk and go slightly outside to harvest more hair. Now your density of DHT resistant hair will decline slightly from say 100FU/cm2 at 30 to perhaps 80FU/cm2 so it should stand to reason that you could well lose some of the transplanted hair. Even this loss could affect the illusion of density.

Hair transplant is permanent and lasts lifelong. But you have to take extra care for your newly transplanted hair. Its because the hair transplant at the beginning are of tender and fragile roots, thus it’s not strong but instead weak which may lead to fallout of the hair.