+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Switch from Finesteride to Dutasteride?

In March of 2010, I used an OTC bodybuilding product that I failed to properly research. Ironically, in trying to avoid steroid use yet still reap the benefits of a similar supplement, I did probably the worst I could do. Since that time, my hair has very dramatically thinned and I’m now balding a year later. I’m 35 and had a very, VERY thick head of hair. At this point I’m losing my hair line and expect it to be quite noticeable within the coming months. Having longer hair, it’s been easier to hide but now with the frontal loss I’m getting more worried than usual and need some advice. Below is my history over the past year and my regiment. I appreciate anything anyone has to offer.
    After using this supplement and at the initial shed, I immediately started using Propecia at 1mg per day. I did this for about two months (starting in June) and then moved to Proscar 1.25mg. I had another shed about a month later. Neither have I recovered from. I moved to 2.5mg’s of Proscar in Decemeber of 2010.

Throughout this time I have faithfully used Rogaine in the morning, followed by Dr Lee’s ******* 15-Plus Solution until March of 2011 when I was no longer able to obtain it. At this point, I switched to two daily applications of generic 5% Rogaine until June of this year when I read a thread that recommended combining a 15% solution with Proscar to create a topical solution. I currently use Dualgen-15 having added 30mgs of Proscar to each 2mL bottle. While I will say that this product is actually working where others have not, the positive effects are not efficient enough. I’m losing more hair than I’m gaining.

(As I side note, the Dualgen-15 w/PG used twice daily after having added 30mg’s of Proscar to each 2mg bottle to create a topical solution has been effective and might be more so for some. For the first time since incident in June of 2010, I’m seeing smaller hairs growing on my hairline and along the sides. There’s not many, maybe a dozen, but this is the first I’ve ever seen since starting any treatment. It’s just unfortunately not enough to assure me that I’m not going to lose all my hair.)

My question is this. Should I switch to Avodart?

After 14 months of treatment, nothing has improved and I mean nothing. It seems like I stabilized shortly around December and until March, but I honestly don’t know if I really did or not or just was learning how to live with my mistake. My concern in switching to Avodart is how badly it may further damage my hairline. I have *never* recovered from a shed. If I shed with Avodart I fear it may be permanent. As far as side effects go, I don’t really care what they are. I’m willing to take that risk right now. I’ve had very minor sexual side effects on Proscar at 2.5mg’s and hardly anything noticeable when I was at 1.25mg once I had stabilized.

My concern is the frontal loss with using Dutasteride and I’ve read quite a lot that indicates many people go through a dramatic frontal loss without recovery or even with some recovery, but not much.

I thought maybe Proscar might help me keep my hair until something better is found, but at the rate things have been going over the last two months, I’m afraid I’m going to lose it all probably around October.

Should I switch now and possibly save my hair or am I risking losing it all?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What product was it?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    What product was it?
    a product from a company called advanced muscle science.

Does it have a name?

14 months with 'nothing' on Propecia? - dont expect much from Dut even if it is more potent. And yes, everyone has to endure a shed when switching drugs.

I wouldnt touch any of those drugs personally, permanent sexual dysfunction can occur at any time - even if you've been dosing for years, stick to Rogaine and accept what you lose, it's a genetic disorder, throw all the DHT inhibitors you like at it, if its time for it to go, its time for it to go.

By the way... are Merck sure it's only 2% that experience sides? Nearly everyone I have spoken to has reported some form of sexual dysfunction on Propecia.

i think i may have possibly seen some positive results in the beginning, but honestly losing my hair was probably too shocking for me to notice. i'm sure things have slowed, but I'd like to stop and keep what i have - I would be happy with that if it can happen.

if you wouldn't touch propecia or avodart, then your input probably isn't for this thread. and like i said, i don't care much right now about the side effects and have had very little anyway. rogaine by itself isn't going to help me, that much i know.

Quote Originally Posted by stanlevick View Post
    i think i may have possibly seen some positive results in the beginning, but honestly losing my hair was probably too shocking for me to notice. i'm sure things have slowed, but I'd like to stop and keep what i have - I would be happy with that if it can happen.

if you wouldn't touch propecia or avodart, then your input probably isn't for this thread. and like i said, i don't care much right now about the side effects and have had very little anyway. rogaine by itself isn't going to help me, that much i know.
    Well, if you're hell set on taking it, then Dut 2.5mg would be a good choice based on the following findings:

Placebo -32.3 hairs
    Finasteride 5mg 75.6 hairs
    Dutasteride 0.1 mg 78.5 hairs
    Dutasteride 0.5 mg 94.6 hairs
    Dutasteride 2.5 mg 109.6 hairs

Olsen E. et. al.

But expect a shed.

Regards.

Id only add that dut stops both type I and II 5AR so yeah... give it a whirl.

Hay im asking myself a similar question as to whether to change over to dust or not, been on propecia for 5 years but its starting to lose its effectiveness

I just want clarification on the topical you used and saw results. Was it minox 15% mixed with 30mg's of proscar tabs? Not quiet sure what Dualgen is?

The guys on "hairsite" might be able to help you, there seems to be quiet alota guys who used or are using dust there.

It's not approved so I think it's a bad idea but some people will think it's worth it. Seems crazy to me. There's still so much we don't know about the biochemistry of the human body. It's like we have the quick start guide but not the full blown manual. I believe DHT is a lot more important than many realise. Hell they just discovered that the RDA for vitamin d should be 10 times higher.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Hay im asking myself a similar question as to whether to change over to dust or not, been on propecia for 5 years but its starting to lose its effectiveness
    i would switch if it were me, but that's just from what i've read.

I just want clarification on the topical you used and saw results. Was it minox 15% mixed with 30mg's of proscar tabs? Not quiet sure what Dualgen is?
    yeah, DualGen-15 With PG with 30mg (6 proscar tabs) crushed and dissolved into each 2oz bottle (**see below.) Sounds stupid, but I've been looking at my hairline for 14 months with ZERO regrowth. Like nothing - no hair, smooth bald. I started using this solution and I'm seeeing over a dozen new hairs at a preliminary stage. don't know what it will result in ultimately, but some hope for sure. more so than i've had since day one. and benig that i had super thick hair and my onset was all at once (like within a week), that's saying something.

**i basically took five tabs of generic proscar and crushed them on a plate with a drinking glass. i tokk that and tossed it in a wire pasta strainer to sift out the blue coating. the rest i put right in the 2oz bottle. i heated it a little in hot tap water. i shake it before use. you can see the pharmaceutical bi-product in the dropper, but the finesteride is water soluble and clear.