+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 22 and hair thinning

Hi there,

I've only just turned 22 and I believe I'm starting to lose my hair. My first indication was a few months ago when my then girlfriend was stroking my hair and mentioned I might go bald young. Didn't really think anything of it until now when it started to become apparent to me. I don't know if it's been like this all along and I've only just noticed it or if it has been getting worse lately.

I never really paid attention to my hair before now so I can't really remember what my hair is supposed to look like to know if it's any worse or if I'm being paranoid! I do believe my hair is thinning on top and I think I have a larger bald patch around the crown than I used to.

I've attached some pics; right now the thinning is only really noticeable in harsh light or when my hair is wet. First pic shows my hair wet and dry in places to show the difference. I'm not sure if my hairline is receding or not - I don't think it is but I've attached a pic of it to get others' opinions. Last pic might be a bit hard to make out but it's of the bald patch around my crown.

I've read a lot of topics here and one difference I have noticed between mine and almost everyone elses' stories is hair falling out. I have noticed no loss of hair, I can run my hand through my hair/tug at it and it is just as strong as ever. Does this have any significance at all?

I've just ordered some Nizoral. Do you think it would be worth going to the doctors to try and get a prescription for Propecia?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SNV32026.jpg

Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	10773   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNV32027.jpg

Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	10774   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNV32028.jpg

Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	10775  

As far as the Dr. goes, I would at least go talk to them first. Mine won't give me propecia without first trying rogaine (5%) for several months first.

I have now made a doctor's appointment. After checking my hair some more I notice I'm actually thinning all over my head, not just on top. Since my hair isn't shedding is it possible this is not MPB but something else?

Would appreciate any advice from anyone here, I'd obviously rather not be losing my hair at the ripe old age of 22!

I think that i have a similiar case to yours. I am also 22 and my hair is falling out in the same way. My temples haven't receded, but my hair is very thin all over the top of my head in the typical horseshoe pattern.

I do notice lots of shedding from the top. I'm about three months into propecia though, so hopefully it will stop soon :\

Another thing that is strange in my case, is that I don't really notice any shrunken hairs. It just seems to fall out and then not be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by sch89 View Post
    I think that i have a similiar case to yours. I am also 22 and my hair is falling out in the same way. My temples haven't receded, but my hair is very thin all over the top of my head in the typical horseshoe pattern.
    After inspecting my hair closer I find I don't have a baldness pattern, my hair is thinning all over my head. I'm going to the doctor later today to hopefully find out for sure but from what I've read diffuse thinning without a pattern and with no hair falling out seems to be something other than MPB. Of course, I'm probably just being 'optimistic' but I'll know soon enough.

What reason do you have to believe that you've thinned all over? Can you really know if you've only just started paying attention and you aren't sure if you've always been this way?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I do notice lots of shedding from the top. I'm about three months into propecia though, so hopefully it will stop soon :\

Another thing that is strange in my case, is that I don't really notice any shrunken hairs. It just seems to fall out and then not be replaced.
    Are you getting any side effects on propecia?

No, not now. I did after taking it for about a month at first. I immediately quit for a couple weeks and they went away, so I started up again with a half dose daily. I had some minor sides, but then they went away and I started up again with a full 1 mg dose. I haven't had any problems since that, but also haven't noticed any results.

Still early though I guess, but it sucks because my hair is noticibly very thin on tip, especially under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    What reason do you have to believe that you've thinned all over? Can you really know if you've only just started paying attention and you aren't sure if you've always been this way?
    I used to have quite long sideburns which involved paying attention to them and the hair around them, so I know at least that area is thinner. I'm extrapolating based on that and the top of my head since I seem to have the same amount of coverage all over my head now.

Went to the doctor yesterday and I've now got to go have a blood test although he told me there's not really anything that can be done and to wait 6 months to see if it clears up and starts growing back. Looking at my mother who has thin hair and my father who has MPB I'm beginning to accept I've probably got MPB. Sucks to have it so young though, but such is life.

No, not now. I did after taking it for about a month at first. I immediately quit for a couple weeks and they went away, so I started up again with a half dose daily. I had some minor sides, but then they went away and I started up again with a full 1 mg dose. I haven't had any problems since that, but also haven't noticed any results.

Still early though I guess, but it sucks because my hair is noticibly very thin on tip, especially under the sun.
    Shit man another person with sides! Yes they went away but you still had them... How long have you been on fin?