+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think there's probably a link between body hair/facial hair and speed of hair loss. High DHT means a lot of body hair and facial hair growth. If you're genetically programmed to lose your hair then high DHT levels will ensure you get there faster.

I'd hazard a guess that there's a correlation between body hair+facial hair and speed of progression of hair loss due to secondary role or side effect of DHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I think there's probably a link between body hair/facial hair and speed of hair loss. High DHT means a lot of body hair and facial hair growth. If you're genetically programmed to lose your hair then high DHT levels will ensure you get there faster.

I'd hazard a guess that there's a correlation between body hair+facial hair and speed of progression of hair loss due to secondary role or side effect of DHT.
    I'm not totally discounting the idea of a correlation, but I myself have quite a lot of body hair and my hairloss was slow, even before I started taking Propecia.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

i was reading wikipedia, because that's SUCH a reliable source ... and i looked up 'baldness', and within the article, there's a 'sign's and symptoms section'. in that it mentions body hair, and says this;

"Excessive body hair in men is an indication that hair thinning of the head might occur. Studies have shown that if a man has complete chest hair, he is around 50% more likely to become bald, increasing to 90% if he has total body hair. In women, excessive body hair (hirsutism) or a sudden appearance of body hair may indicate the same hormonal imbalances that cause hair loss."

i don't know how true it is, but even so, what would be classed as 'complete' chest hair??

something along the lines of alec baldwin? or would any small amount of chest hair be classed as complete?

Quote Originally Posted by bertrumhenderson View Post
    i was reading wikipedia, because that's SUCH a reliable source ... and i looked up 'baldness', and within the article, there's a 'sign's and symptoms section'. in that it mentions body hair, and says this;

"Excessive body hair in men is an indication that hair thinning of the head might occur. Studies have shown that if a man has complete chest hair, he is around 50% more likely to become bald, increasing to 90% if he has total body hair. In women, excessive body hair (hirsutism) or a sudden appearance of body hair may indicate the same hormonal imbalances that cause hair loss."

i don't know how true it is, but even so, what would be classed as 'complete' chest hair??

something along the lines of alec baldwin? or would any small amount of chest hair be classed as complete?
    I'd agree with that. Also though they're not sure of the exact genetics behind it what they do know is the androgen receptor characteristics come from the X chromosome (your mother) but there is also an influence from the Y chromosome you inherit from your father. It seems to be autosomal dominant with mixed penetrance or something like that. In other words you can have the genotype (genes for it) but it won't always express itself in the same way seemingly. So you'll experience some hairloss but you may not go nw6 whereas someone else with a similar genetic makeup could go nw6. Definitely seems to be multifactorial. Must be an environmental or epigentics influence there somewhere also.

lol

I think there is a corrolation in the majority of cases but not always of course. I mean finasteride doesnt work for everyone there are rarely absolutes to any of this stuff. If DHT is partly responsible for male characteristics like facial hair than I dont see why there is no possible connection to MPB which stems from DHT too. Women dont get beards so it seems there is something there its just not absolute and I think testosterone plays some role for sure too not just DHT.