+ Reply to Thread

Default Any options that don't cause more loss when stopping?

I started noticing some minimal hair loss around my early 20s, I am now 28 and it is at the point now where it is becoming very noticeable and impossible to hide without wearing a hat. I have been researching hair loss products on and off for the last few years and cannot decide on what to try.

I have seriously considered surgery despite the cost and pain (which from what I hear is pretty severe), but I have heard way too many horror stories about scarring and botched results.

I have considered Rogaine and similar topical treatments but from what I have heard and read, it seems that once you start using it you cannot stop or you will loose not only the regrown hair but the healthy hair as well. I do not know how accurate this is but I have also heard that Rogaine and similar treatments cause the healthy hair to fall out and new hair to grow that will not grow past a certain length and will fall out if you discontinue use.

I have considered Propecia and other oral treatments, but it seems that these, like Rogaine, you cannot stop using or it will cause more hair to fall out. That and the erectile dysfunction and possible "man boobs" make me a bit nervous. I'm willing to make some sacrifices for a full head of hair, but a C cup isn't one of them.

As much as I always swore i wouldn't, I have even looked a bit into hairpieces but I just don't think I could bring myself to that. When given the choice I'd rather just continue balding or wear a hat than worry about every gust of wind or swooping seagull.

Does anybody know of anything that offers possible results without having to make a life long commitment or risk loosing whatever healthy hair is left? Hair regrowth would be great but at this point I'm willing to try something that just prevents further loss, I just don't want to risk loosing the healthy hair I have left.

I suppose I'm just looking for something that will keep the problem from getting worse for the time being, while waiting and hoping for some "miracle cure" from new methods being tested.

hey man, sorry to tell you, but you have two choices propecia or rogaine, sorry thats it! 99% chance you wont grow man boobs on propecia, and rogaine works. Its true once you stop using these ur hair they saved will fall out, but its gonna fall out if you dont use them...so whats the diff

Out of the options available I've been leaning most toward Propecia or something similar. The main thing is though with Propecia will it also cause the healthy hair to fall out if you stop using it? And if so is it as bad as with Rogaine and other topicals?

I know the hair will eventually fall out anyway but I'd rather not speed it up. Say I try Rogaine and don't like the results or decide to go with something different, I don't want to loose the healthy hair that I may have had for another few years.

you lose hair that you would've lost anyway had you never started propecia and/or rogaine. you said your hair loss has become very noticeable then i say you really have nothing to lose unless you're freaked out by potential side effect. if you are then just steer clear of propecia.