+ Reply to Thread

Default Hi all, A little help please.

Hi everybody.I seen some very good hair transplant pictures on this website, But I have a question about the hair line, Why do all the hair transplant patients get the high hair line ? What if someone wants a lower hair line ? Why does it always have to be high ?

Any help would be awesome

Skeptic1st

Arrow

Hi Ala,
    I had that same question when I had my HT done just three weeks ago.I was told by my doctor that since your paying for the transplant,you could have the new hair line put anywhere on your face that you like(and it will grow),however,YOU have to live with the results. If your a 40 year old male with the hair line of a teenager,do you really think that will look natural? As peaple age,even those with the thickest heads of hair lose there perfect tightly groomed hair line they had when they were younger,so if you,re a transplant recipient with your low hair line, it will be very obvious you had work done and could even become a source of embarrasement because its just not a natural appearance.The other thing is that if once you have your transplant performed,if you feel its too high of a new hair line, you can always have additional hair added another time,BUT the other side of that is if you have TOO MUCH hair addd in the frontal area,its not as easy to reverse that I believe.So with all that said, when I went to my doctor, he drew a line on my head and asked if I was ok with that, And I simply said he knew what looked best,because he performed countless procedures before, and I trusted his judgement.I hope this helps.
    Dale

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

I wanted to add a comment here.

There is a very large difference between what you can do and what you should do, from an ethical standpoint, imho.

Oftentimes, it seems it is very hard for doctors to exercise good, solid judgment, when faced with a patient with outrageous demands and a wad of cash.

Doctors know that the patient will just go to the next clinic and get what he or she wants.

However, I do not prescribe to theory that "It's my body, I'll decide what I want or what is best for me"------- There are just times when you need to tell people "No" and try to educate them as much as possible.

Donor management is just as important as the actual transplanted grafts themselves.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

As it relates to hairlines, I believe that there is a general societal acceptance that, for most nonbalding men, hairlines gradually rise and recede as we age. Hairlines have their own maturation cycle.

The hairline of a nonbalding 16 or 18 year old is typically lower than the hairline of a nonbalding 35 or 40 year old. Therefore, in my opinion, it makes sense to find a doctor that will design an age-appropriate hairline. Age-appropriate hairline designs seem to be one of the many tools in the doctor's arsenal that he/she uses to conceal the fact that the patient has had a hair transplant.

Even though I long for the days of my low teenage hairline and even today sometimes feel self-conscientious about having a big forehead, I would NOT want my transplanted hairline to be any lower without full recommendation from my doctor, because I think it may be a tell-tale sign that I have had a hair transplant, in that it would not be age-appropriate. Not only that, donor supply in any man is limited, and probably shouldn't be wasted in recreating un-naturally youthful hairlines, and instead should be used in maximizing coverage.

TeeJay

thanks for your responses guys.

My age is 25, And at 25 (I think) I should have a low hairline, not 15 to 18 years old low hairline but almost as that.

Anyway, Im 25 and lost all of my hairline. Damn this sucks.

I hear ya, Ala. It sucks! But hang in there. Are you considering hair transplantation? More importantly, are you on Propecia?

Keep in mind that your hairline should continue to look natural as you continue to age and continue to lose hair (if you are indeed continuing to lose hair). So, hypothetically speaking, if you got a hair transplant tomorrow and got the hairline of a 20 year old, it might look great for a few years. But I don't think you're gonna wanna be rockin' the hairline of a 20 year old when you're 40 or 50. :-)

Don't worry dude -- you'll adjust to the age-appropriateness of hairlines. I'm 35 now and have a very different hairline and I'm happy with it. I'd love to have my teenage hairline back, or even my 25 year old hairline, but I know it'd look ridiculous as I continue to get older.

TeeJay

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hey ala--why don't you upload some pics of your hairline and level of loss?

I can have a look and see what you would be looking at as far as staying on meds only, and perhaps a transplant to re-establish an appropriate hairline, that will balance today's wants against tomorrows needs.

It really is the only way to approach hair transplantation, especially in your early to mid-20's.

This will help you compile some information and get some solid advice from veteran members--should you start doing consults with various clinics you will have a nice base to work from.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Scott Alexander, MD's Avatar

This is the exact reason why I do not like transplanting patients who are not at least in their late 20’s. It has been too short of time since they’ve had their 18-19 year old hair lines; and that is exactly what they would like back. The problem is if you are losing the whole front portion of your hair by 25, the chances of you going to a Norwood 6 by 35 is really high. There is nothing that looks worse than a 20 year old hair line with somebody who has 25-35 grafts per square density on the entire top of their head, a bald crown, and normal density on the sides at 35 years of age. This screams hair transplant. If the same person had minor recessions in the temples, a touch higher on the hair line, and high enough density to blend into the sides is going to look a whole lot better. It’s really hard to convince somebody that this is going to look better if the top and back of their head still has good density. Since we cannot tell the future, we must be very cautious of what could happen in 10 to 15 years. I see patients all the time that started out with a surgery in their early 20’s received a hair transplant from a doctor that would agree to place a hairline where ever the patient wanted and now he must live with something that looks ridiculous for the rest of his life. On the other hand, if I have a patient who is 35-40 years of age and has minor recession in the front I am very happy to give him a younger looking hair line because I know I can keep up with future hair loss.
    Scott Alexander, MD www.drscottalexander.com
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Well said Dr. Alexander. I was young once and I wish I had this information at my finger tips like these young guys have here. That’s why this site is so great!!!