+ Reply to Thread

Default New to this... need advice before the next step.

Hello to all,
    I am 27 and I have been losing my hair slowly for the past 7-8 years. I have a receding hairline with gradual thining all over the top of my scalp. I took propecia for about two years, then my doc put me on dutasteride because propecia didn't seem to work. So for the last 4-5 years it seems like my hair has pretty much stayed the same. It still kills me to look in the mirror, as it has since I was 21. I tried to get a transplant back then, but thank god they told me I was to young. So I put it off until recently, and I have done so much research for the past 4 years. Now I have decided to go for it and I have chosen Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix,AZ. I won't be doing it until after summer but I guess I am just looking for some reassurance/advice on two things...1)this Dr.?? and 2)my decision to go for it??? Dr. Alexander seems to do amazing work and he was very personable in our meetings.

I will post pics in a couple days.

Thanks to all,
    Sean S.

Skeptic1st

Hi sscobra,
    Although Im 10 years older than you,I can remember being 27 like it was yesterday.I had a receding hairline since my mid 20's and no doubt it was difficult time in my life realizing my hair was falling out.It may have even delayed me getting married until I was in my 30's because I wasnt quite as much a social butterfly as I might have been otherwise. I waited until just three weeks ago(Im 37) to have my first transplant done and I am SO glad that I finally did.The procedure for me was painless and the only issues I really disliked was the 8 days immediate post op when my scalp dried and the transplant area skin flaked off,and one other minor irritation is the donor area on back of my head is still sore and numb,but I dont notice it unless I touch it like when Im shampooing or resting on a pillow.Aside from that, I feel and look as good or better than when I started, and it only gets better from here for me once my new hair grows!I dont know this Dr. Alexander you mentioned because I live in the North east(NJ)but as long as you,ve done your homework and looked into his practice(talked to referal Transplant patients of his)I would say your fine.Do you know how many grafts you are getting implanted?My session was based on how many grafts were cut from the donor strip so I didnt pay on a per graft basis.Whatever was in the strip is what was transplanted but I was told it was near 1800 for me.
    Dale

Dale- thanks for the response. I can't wait to have it done as well. I was told that I would have approx. 2500 grafts done. And I do plan on meeting previous patients for referals, as I still have 6 months or more to prepare and research. Thanks for the info.
    -sean

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by sscobra View Post
    Hello to all,
    I am 27 and I have been losing my hair slowly for the past 7-8 years. I have a receding hairline with gradual thining all over the top of my scalp. I took propecia for about two years, then my doc put me on dutasteride because propecia didn't seem to work. So for the last 4-5 years it seems like my hair has pretty much stayed the same. It still kills me to look in the mirror, as it has since I was 21. I tried to get a transplant back then, but thank god they told me I was to young. So I put it off until recently, and I have done so much research for the past 4 years. Now I have decided to go for it and I have chosen Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix,AZ. I won't be doing it until after summer but I guess I am just looking for some reassurance/advice on two things...1)this Dr.?? and 2)my decision to go for it??? Dr. Alexander seems to do amazing work and he was very personable in our meetings.

I will post pics in a couple days.

Thanks to all,
    Sean S.
    Hey Sean,

When the time is right, Dr. Alexander would be an excellent choice. As a matter of fact, a personal friend of mine is having surgery with him this week.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

sscobra--- I happen to think that Dr. Alexander does excellent work, and his rates are actually very, very reasonable, considering the quality of the work.

My only question for you is this: Are you ready to commit to 2-3 additional surgeries? Can you afford additional surgeries? Are you comfortable with your long and short term goals? If you are considering a strip session, have you considered the long term ramifications?

At 27, doing fue or waiting is often a better option---it leaves you some options of buzzing down later on, when you can consider switching to strip to maximize your donor resources.

Given your description of your hairloss, there is a high likelihood your baldness will continue, and you will need additional sessions.

Please consult with Dr. Alexander about the advantages/disadvantages of FUE and make sure you ask him if doing nothing for 1-2 years is an option as well.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Default here are my pics...before any surgery??????

Can any of you tell me what you think about me getting a hair transplant this year. I'm 27 and Dr. alexander told me he would do 2500 grafts. What procedure would be right for me...FUE or Strip??? I am very uneasy about going for it?? look at my pics and any advice/info would be helpful.
    thanks,
    sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair4 016.jpg

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	501   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair4 006.jpg

Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	502   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair4 015.jpg

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	503   Click image for larger version

Name:	xmas08 024.jpg

Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	504  

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

cobra---I think it would be easy for me to tell you that your not really ready for a HT---You have quite a bit of native hair---native hair that will likely fall out in the coming years----and leave you with the transplanted hair----forcing you to do more hair transplants.

Let me state that there is NOTHING wrong with that, as long as YOU, the patient, are comfortable starting this cycle.

Now, although Dr. Alexander's patients have non-existent scars post-op, there is no guarantee you can buzz down past a #4-5 after your surgery. Regardless of what clinic you choose, that is a fact, period.

At 27, you just have to be careful understanding EXACTLY what your deciding to get into.

If you do FUE, you will have some options later down the road, as well as doing nothing and waiting to see how your hairloss progresses.

From your comments, I think you need to wait before pulling the trigger--do some more research on the differences between strip/fue--- buzz your head to a #1 guard and see if you can live with that look for a while.

If after all of your research, you decide to go forward, then it will be YOUR choice, not mine, not your doctors, or anyone else for that matter.

Hope this helps mate!!!! Feel free to PM me if you like.

Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by sscobra View Post
    Can any of you tell me what you think about me getting a hair transplant this year. I'm 27 and Dr. alexander told me he would do 2500 grafts. What procedure would be right for me...FUE or Strip??? I am very uneasy about going for it?? look at my pics and any advice/info would be helpful.
    thanks,
    sean
    Hey Sean,

It’s a tough call. The B Spot makes some good points and the truth is you’re still relatively young. However, If you were to have surgery this year, 2500 grafts could make a significant difference in the appearance of your hair.

Again, as I stated before, Dr. Alexander is really good at what he does, so I’m confident that you will be happy with the immediate outcome of the procedure, but as B spot points out, how will you feel if you continue to lose your native hair or if your hair is shocked out and it doesn’t all return? Once you go under the knife it’s a commitment, and you have to be equipped to deal with whatever you may be faced with in the future.

You also might be one of those lucky guys who looks good without much hair. Have you ever considered shaving your head to see how you look? From what I can see of your bone structure, it might be an option for you.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.