+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Molecular Hair Regrowth

Below is an article that I attached which discusses chemicals like LEF-1 and sonic hedgehog as ways to create robust hair growth. Yet it frustrates me SO MUCH that no one is testing these chemicals to create hair growth in humans. Instead we have ineffective shit like TRX-2 and yanking hair from the sides and the back and re-inserting it into the front. All accompanied with a nice ear-to-ear scar. Check out the article below.

New Research
    An editorial on the future of hair loss - molecular signaling

We’ve probably gone as far as we can
    or should in reducing the DHT in the scalp to combat DHT. What new direction can we take in
    developing alternative medications for treating MPB? This editorial covers one of the newer
    technologies on the horizon...
    Molecular Signaling - the Future of Hair Loss Treatment?
    Dr. Richard Lee
    You probably recall that during embryological development of the hair follicles, there was
    communication between the ectoderm (top layers of the skin) and the underlying mesoderm. The
    cells in the mesoderm signal the overlying ectoderm to make an appendage. In response, the
    ectoderm cells organize, proliferate and invade the mesoderm, becoming an elongated structure
    called a hair germ, which eventually forms the hair follicle and produces hair. Alone among all
    the organs of the body, the hair follicle recreates itself 10 to 20 times during your lifetime. What
    if we could understand how the communication, i.e. the molecular signaling, took place between
    the layers of the skin? There is a lot of ongoing work to isolate and identify the molecules
    involved in molecular signaling. The implications are wonderful. What if we had control of
    telling the stem cells to begin anagen (growth phase) or to stay in anagen or even to produce a
    new follicle?
    Here’s a simplified version of a type of molecular signaling: often a cell will initiate a behavior,
    such as making new proteins, after a molecule from the outside binds to a receptor on the cell
    surface and triggers a cascade of molecular interactions within the cell. These signaling cascades
    frequently lead to the activation of specific genes in the nucleus, resulting in the production of
    new proteins.
    Within the past few years, Elaine Fuchs and her colleagues at the University of Chicago have
    discovered that the dermal papilla’s signals probably convey their directives largely by activating
    still other signaling molecules---members of the Wnt family of proteins.
    12200208.jpg
    Dr. Richard Lee
    Dr. Lee obtained his degree in medicine from the University of Pittsburgh, and has founded and
    operated one of the few private medical practices devoted entirely to the research and treatment
    of hair loss.. "Regrowth" was incorporated in 1987, and continues to provide custom minoxidil
    and topical spironolactone solutions which can be very helpful additions to any proven treatment
    regimen. Dr. Lee is a respected member of the ************ Community, and one of the few
    physicians truly educated on the causes and treatments of hair loss.
    Subsequent experiments confirmed that Wnt is the mesodermal signal that instructs the overlying
    ectoderm to begin forming an appendage and is likewise the ectodermal signal that tells the
    underlying mesoderm to form the dermal papilla. After development of the hair follicle, Wnt
    appears to be the message that directs matrix cells above the dermal papilla to differentiate into
    - 1 -
    TITLE: ::A New Approach OE Molecular Signaling :: ************.com :: ************ News Center||A New Approach OE Molecular Signaling :: ************.com :: ************ News Center ************.com
    hair cells.
    Perhaps the most dramatic evidence for the central importance of Wnts was the creation of mice
    that, after birth, could not degrade beta-catenin in their epidermal cells. The inability to destroy
    beta-catenin made the cells behave as if they were constantly receiving a Wnt signal. These mice
    grew an unusually lush furry coat by forming new hair follicles between the ones that were
    formed during embryonic development.
    I want Wnt! Or do I...
    That’s really "WOW!" So, why don’t we rub our scalps with Wnt? As these furry mice aged,
    they grew benign lumps in their skin that resembled a common human scalp tumor called
    pilotricoma. But, if we learn to deliver Wnt in a pattern that mimics nature or if we can
    manipulate other steps in the Wnt signaling cascade, we may have a way to correct disorders of
    the hair, including MPB.
    In 1995 Elaine Fuchs’ group discovered that a regulatory protein called lymphocyte enhancer
    factor 1 (LEF1) participated in activating the hair keratin genes. This lymphocyte enhancer factor
    1 was also found to be present during hair follicle formation in the embryo. Presumably on orders
    from some outside signal, LEF1 became active and helped to turn on genes needed for follicle
    formation or hair growth. And when Fuch’s team engineered mice that produced excess LEF1 in
    the skin, the animals produced more hair follicles than normal. Rudy Grosshedl at the University
    of California at San Francisco, which showed that without LEF1, mice fail to make a furry coat
    at all.
    Other proteins have been identified in the molecular signaling scheme. One by the name of ’sonic
    hedgehog’ could be particularly crucial for hair growth. Although sonic hedgehog is not
    necessary for formation of the hair germ, it is necessary for subsequent conversion of the germ to
    a full-fledged follicle. Two years ago, Ronald Crystal at Cornell University found that when hair
    follicles in adult mice are induced to make the protein during the telogen phase, the follicles shift
    prematurely into the anagen phase. Thus, sonic hedgehog can stimulate dormant follicles to begin
    producing hair.
    But another caution: Too much signaling by the sonic hedgehog molecule results in basal cell
    carcinomas in humans.
    Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done before signaling proteins can be used as a treatment
    for MPB. But the information is exciting and the future is very promising in this field of research.

All this reading about all these new treatments that are not even out and claim to have no side effects yet, are giving me one big side effect:

A headache!

Angry

Hey what do ya know? Another mouse expirement...humans?....naaaah...they better find something soon ... I'm losing hair fast...AND I'M ONLY 17 !!!

Believe me guys, I know how you feel. I am sick and tired of all of these scientists experimenting on mice but never doing a damn thing to benefit humans. But I just see what absolute garbage options we have out there now in terms of treatments (Rogaine, Propecia, hair transplants). Rogaine doesn't do a damn thing and Propecia just slows down hair loss at best. And I believe that most people would never get a hair transplant since they don't want the permanent scarring on their heads for the rest of their lives. And then you need to make a lifelong commitment to taking Propecia for the rest of your life so that the remaining hair that is susceptible to DHT does not fall out. And also a lifelong commitment to getting more hair transplants just in case more hair falls out. And then you can never cut your hair too short for fear of that ear-to-ear linear scar. Man, we just have such garbage options out there to combat hair loss. Yet when I see these chemicals like Noggin or BMP agonists that have the potential to cause robust hair growth without any permanent scarring whatsover, I just wish so much that they would be tested on humans. It has been known for at least 10 years that these chemicals could cause major hair growth, yet all I hear about today is 'plucking', 'harvesting', and all the shit that goes along with a hair transplant. Hell, I don't think that most people are even willing to get a hair transplant with all of the shit that can go wrong and the procedure's many shortcomings, yet that's basically all that is offered today, and it really pisses me off.

I love how we can ( supposedly) put a man on the moon, perform brain surgery, put a smartphone in my hand that has gps and internet and fix peoples eyesight through laser surgery yet we still cannot find a real solution to Mpb which is something 2/3 of men in the world will experience to some degree....just blows my f&%king mind

BAHAHAHAHA Why are you still talking about Shh (sonic hedgehog) it causes TUMOUR FORMATION -

Lol srry I was just ranting about us living in the 2nd decade of the 21st century and we still have to worry about our hair falling out

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Believe me guys, I know how you feel. I am sick and tired of all of these scientists experimenting on mice but never doing a damn thing to benefit humans. But I just see what absolute garbage options we have out there now in terms of treatments (Rogaine, Propecia, hair transplants). Rogaine doesn't do a damn thing and Propecia just slows down hair loss at best. And I believe that most people would never get a hair transplant since they don't want the permanent scarring on their heads for the rest of their lives. And then you need to make a lifelong commitment to taking Propecia for the rest of your life so that the remaining hair that is susceptible to DHT does not fall out. And also a lifelong commitment to getting more hair transplants just in case more hair falls out. And then you can never cut your hair too short for fear of that ear-to-ear linear scar. Man, we just have such garbage options out there to combat hair loss. Yet when I see these chemicals like Noggin or BMP agonists that have the potential to cause robust hair growth without any permanent scarring whatsover, I just wish so much that they would be tested on humans. It has been known for at least 10 years that these chemicals could cause major hair growth, yet all I hear about today is 'plucking', 'harvesting', and all the shit that goes along with a hair transplant. Hell, I don't think that most people are even willing to get a hair transplant with all of the shit that can go wrong and the procedure's many shortcomings, yet that's basically all that is offered today, and it really pisses me off.
    LOL yeah its a bitch - but thats normally what life is like ..... then ye marry one

Manipulation of the sonic hedgehog pathway does NOT cause tumor formation. If you transiently activate the pathway, as opposed to constantly hitting it, then all it can lead to is new hair growth and no tumor formation whatsoever. And best of all, manipulation of these pathways does not involve any permanent head scarring or yanking hair out of your head and moving it from one place to another. Man, if like 5 other companies were doing Histogen is working on (and opposed to all this yanking and plucking shit), then we would have much more effective hair loss solutions.
    StillinHS, you're totally right about it being a joke that there aren't more effective hair loss solutions in today's day and age. If you read some of my posts, you'll see what frustrates me the most: when all of these scientists supposedly discover all of these chemicals that supposedly regrow hair on mice yet NEVER test them on humans.
    UK, nice joke man. Life is a bitch, but it's a helluva lot easier and happier for some than it is for others.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    UK, nice joke man. Life is a bitch, but it's a helluva lot easier and happier for some than it is for others.
    Too right. All or **** all.