+ Reply to Thread

Default HT - Can one start small?

Hi,

I'm 36, hair-loss sufferer since 20 (at least). Presently a NWIV. So far my research on HT has led me to believe that it doesnt always work the way you want it and that it is certainly not a permanent one-time solution. I guess anyone who does enough research and meets enough doctors would come to same conclusion. I don't want to go from looking thin to looking un-natural and don't wish to worry about getting the next procedure and then the next one and so on.

Granted most of my research was done during early 2000s. With that said, is a small session of HT (FUE) recomended? It wouldnt entirely change one's look but some density in frontal region can go long way and there is less chance of screwing it up or other downsides usually associated with HT.

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions?

It is possible because its the way I've chosen to address my hair loss. I'm 28 and a diffuse thinner. Its hard to place myself on the norwood scale because my hairline has stayed pretty well in tact. Just behind my hairline in the mid-scalp I've started to thin as well as in the crown. I had researched transplants since I first started thinning when I was 21 or so, and definitely didn't just jump into anything. I decided that rather than wait until I was completely bald, I would plan on attacking my hair loss a little bit at a time with conservative surgeries.

I had my first transplant about 2 years ago with Dr. Wolf in Cincinnati. He placed 1300 grafts in the front third of my scalp, just behind my hairline, via FUE. I'm happy with his results, and its definitely an improvement. Its not super dense, but its much better than where I was.

I'm now looking into continuing where Dr. Wolf left off and working farther back through the crown. I've also considered the Acell/PRP injection route. I'm currently in the process of discussing my options with several doctors.

Once I saw that the first transplant worked and got me to a place where I was happy, I now feel much better about doing a more significant procedure. Yes, I am young, and I know I will continue to thin, but I'm doing my best to make sure to reserve enough donor to utilize for future loss.

So I would say, if you've done your research, you've thought it through for a long time, and you're going with a great doctor then don't be afraid to take the plunge. Just realize that a small procedure isn't going to give great density unless you have thick hair shafts.

Hope that helps!

I am quite the same story as jefro5422 but I haven't done anything yet. Now I am planning a hair transplant and I have the same question. Do you think that starting with fue procedure is better if you may need some more hts in the future?

That's a good question and one I still go back and forth on. I really feel like there are benefits to both. I went with FUE because I didn't want a strip scar, and I wanted to see how my body would react to a transplant. If I would have known for sure that everything was going to turn out alright, I might have went with strip instead. Its less expensive, you get more grafts, and there's a better survival rate. However, with FUE you don't have a strip scar, you can take donor from different areas, and you don't have to deal with stretching. Of course, all of these things are based upon using a good doctor. There are pros and cons to both, and I think you really have to weigh them for yourself and see what you're most comfortable with.

I've been talking with Dr. Wong/Joe, and if I go through with another transplant he will most likely be my choice. I'm just torn between that and trying out Acell. I know its new and experimental, but I do believe they're onto something, and I've been told that it could possibly really help my case. I think I may try Acell/PRP injections first, see how I'm doing in 6-8 months, and if I'm not satisfied, take a Canadian vacation and get a transplant while I'm there.

Whatever I do decide to go through with though, I'll document and post on here. My first transplant I kept to myself and hid from everyone but my immediate family. I was embarrassed to be going bald in my 20s. It was a tough secret to keep, and looking back on it, probably a poor choice. This time through I think I'm just going to be upfront about it.

Jeff

If you do try PRP injection please let us know how it went.

I will for sure. I hate that you can't really find much info from people who have had them. I'm hoping that's because they're so happy they don't go on the forums any more haha.