Can women use 5 % Rogaine - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

From what I understand most dermatologists recommend women using 5% just like men. It just works better if it works for you.

Rogaine is for women with thinning hair of any cause. Unlike Revivogen, which can stop the cause of hair loss if you've been diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia, Rogaine will help stimulate growth despite whatever is causing your loss. Rogaine is typically the foundational treatment for women experiencing any form of hair loss aside from patchy loss. The new foam is significantly more effective than the previous liquid, and causes no irritation. It dries quickly and was shown in recent FDA trials to be nearly 25% more effective than the liquid was. This product is highly recommended both by physicians and our members.

the 5% solution has not been approved by the FDA for use by women
    .. most common side effect that women experience while using Men's Rogaine is an increase in facial hair, usually above the upper lip, on the chin or along the jaw line
    (some women report experiencing this side effect even after treatment ends).
    ... this can be controlled by plucking or using other hair-removal products.
    at the moment i'm using the M.Gardson's growth technique, think it's easier

Hello! For any other woman looking to use the 5% rogain, here are some tips:

1. Always apply it well before going to bed has to be dry to avoid spreading it to your face.

2. Be prepared for possible excessive shedding within the first 4 weeks of use. This could be alarming and for some women when you stop using it the results revert and you lose even more hair.

3. Start slow and test your scalps reaction.

4. Make sure you are not pregnant or breast feeding.

I personally don't use this product or anything like it, but if you are going to try it out be safe, use common sense and perhaps the above can help you get prepared.

This topic seems to be of interest to many, so if anyone else has any suggestions, please chime in it will help others.

Patricia

Hi Sarah, I came across your question about using rogaine 5% foam for women in a google search. Did you end up trying this? If so, I'm dying to know the results. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tryingtostaypositive View Post
    Hi Sarah, I came across your question about using rogaine 5% foam for women in a google search. Did you end up trying this? If so, I'm dying to know the results. Thanks!
    I hope you don't mind that I answer. When I started Rogaine, I started with the 2% liquid to make sure I didn't have any negative reactions to the medicine. Once that bottle was finished I tried the foam. I really liked the foam when my hair was really short (I had buzzed my hair off to make treating my hair loss easier - it's a long story...). As my hair grew back out, the longer my hair got the more the foam was getting mostly in my hair and not on my scalp. It is very important to make sure the medicine is getting on your scalp and not in your hair. I found this very hard to do with longer hair, so I switched back to liquid. When I switched back to using liquid, I stayed with the 5% formulation - but I only use it once a day before bedtime.

Rogaine works - but you have to give it time - a long time. You might start seeing new hair growing in a about four months - but it will take a lot longer than that for those new hairs to look like normal hair. So you need to keep using the medicine for about a year before you will know how well it works for you.

Hi Tracy,

Of course I don't mind that you replied. The more testimonies the better! Thank you for yours.

I have been doing "internet research" and most women say that they prefer using the 5% foam. I use the red laser therapy for my long-ish hair and wonder how much of the laser is getting on my scalp vs. my hair.

With using the 5% liquid and/or foam, did you notice any more facial hair growth than you originally had before starting it? It's one of the side effects I'm actually wary of.

Thanks for the info

I use the red laser therapy for my long-ish hair and wonder how much of the laser is getting on my scalp vs. my hair.
    I use the Hairmax laser comb which has teeth that part my hair as I run the laser over my scalp. I don't know if that actually makes it more effective or not, but laser therapy does make my hair look great and grow faster.

With using the 5% liquid and/or foam, did you notice any more facial hair growth than you originally had before starting it? It's one of the side effects I'm actually wary of.
    I have not experienced more facial hair growth than I had before. Even if I did, it is a lot easier to make unwanted hair go away than it is to recover hair that I wanted to keep. Electrolysis hurts but it is effective. You do what you have to do.

Angry Rogaine A big No No for Brows

Quote Originally Posted by sarah56 View Post
    Thanks--this is very helpful. I think I'll give the 5 percent foam a try and see what happens --I'd rather have a little too much hair on my face than not enough hair on my head!
    I scanned over this Article recently written in Australia. It mentions the use of Rogaine for use on Eyebrows by Millie Herd a make-up artist in Australia.
    It was an interesting article until reading 1 comment from a reader.

Dear Kate, a very well written article and funny , just have to mention this one statement you published.

My shape wasn’t too bad, apparently, but needed some growing out, which could be done by...this is THE best tip ever...use ROGAINE. Yes, the stuff that old dudes use to try and encourage their left side hair to join up with the hair on the right side of their noggins.

As a health professional the use of REGAINE is NOT recommended for anywhere other than the scalp namely the Vortex area at the top of the scalp, and this only is successful for 55% of users. It doesn’t work for receding hairlines around the temples and forehead. It is especially NOT to be used for the Brows.
    The active ingredient is Minoxidil, this drug was designed to help people reduce their high blood pressure, some users during trials experienced hair growth or further hair loss stopped.
    If readers did a simple search on the web you will find countless bad experiences of people attempting to use Minoxidil for the exact purpose your article states.

Please note: DO NOT USE THIS FOR YOUR EYEBROWS. I am perplexed to find anyone including a misguided eyebrow technician advocating this product other than for it’s original use.
    Only advice that can be given is research prior to putting anything on your skin especially your face, research research research.

Jill
    Fri 08 Jul 11 (09:41am)

I started Rogaine for Women 2 years ago after a heavy bout of hair loss. I bought the generic Target version, and I accidentally bought and used a box of the Rogaine for Men liquid. I am prone to facial hair anyways as I have a thyroid condition, but I can attest that the Men's version definitely sped up the facial hair issue. I noticed the increase, and once I realized I was using the Men's, it made sense. I switched back to Women's and had a few rounds of laser hair removal.

I made the foolish decision to stop Rogaine altogether a few months ago. I found I definitely had increased hair growth but I had a LOT of flyaways that I thought was maybe due to weaker, finer hair from the Rogaine. Well, as they warn you, when you go off, you will lose hair. I had no idea how much. I lost probably half my volume - the the point where people noticed and were concerned. I'm back on Rogaine now and intend to stay on. I saw a dermatologist who recommended, as others attested here, that I use the Men's version, so I think I will return to it despite the facial hair issue.