+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have been on propecia for 3 years. The first year it seemed like my hair didn't thin much. Unfortunately this last year and even 6 months, I feel its shedding more and gotten a lot worse. I don't get it, I'm taking my propecia everyday. This is very discouraging! I am scared sh%^less to shave my head cause I don't think I'd look good. Hair transplant(not sure I'm gonna get much results cause everyones different) is very scary and expensive. I gonna frickin do something so I stop obssesing and can grow up!!!!

huntforhair
    The reason why i haven't considered hair units is that you still cant go swimming or what about lots of wind..Maybe the shaved head look will work inorder to get over and move on and except who i am.. Anybody know any good hair designer that could give you a haircut and make it look like its not thinning as much. I thought i've seen somethin advertised?

What annoys me is really the lack of knowledge about propecia/hair loss in general. I've been on it for a bit over 5 months now; Before I started, my hairloss was slow, ever since its been a lot more drastic, and the last few days have been really bad.

1. I hear people say 'wait it out', but by now I should at least be able to infer that it won't be getting better any time soon. I mean, it's not like one day I'll suddenly wake up and my hair won't be falling out, surely my hair loss will slowly decrease over time? Also, the point of 'waiting it out' is that the results of propecia might not show for a while - however, I KNOW that it's not working, because im still losing a load of bloody hair in the shower every day! Basically, there must be a way of telling whether propecia is STARTING to work, even if its not immediately apparent that it has IMPROVED the state of your hair.

2. Difference in hair loss - In the last few days I've been losing long, thick and dark hairs as opposed to the thin spindly ones I'm used to. What is the significance of this? and there must be one, there has to be some difference between healthy hairs falling out, and practically dead ones falling out. I'm attributing this latest phenomenon to the new shampoo I'm using.. I decided I'd give one of those 'organic' hairloss specific shampoos again, and ever since I've been losing more hair, and thicker hair at that. It really annoys me, I only wanted something that would thicken my hair, without it containing sulphates... Yet they all seem to add a load of rubbish that causes sheds. Revita had the same effect on me.

3. My scalp is endlessly irritated and itchy, no matter what I use on it. I feel I should be using Nizoral, but that stuff did nothing to relieve the itchiness and it certainly didn't help the hair loss - I feel I started to shed on that stuff too. The only stuff that has left my scalp feeling nice for a while is a simple eucalyptus based organic shampoo.

Basically, there seem to be many specifics about hairloss which are unknown, yet I very much doubt they are insignificant and/or can't be interrogated successfully.

What annoys me is really the lack of knowledge about propecia/hair loss in general. I've been on it for a bit over 5 months now; Before I started, my hairloss was slow, ever since its been a lot more drastic, and the last few days have been really bad.

1. I hear people say 'wait it out', but by now I should at least be able to infer that it won't be getting better any time soon. I mean, it's not like one day I'll suddenly wake up and my hair won't be falling out, surely my hair loss will slowly decrease over time? Also, the point of 'waiting it out' is that the results of propecia might not show for a while - however, I KNOW that it's not working, because im still losing a load of bloody hair in the shower every day! Basically, there must be a way of telling whether propecia is STARTING to work, even if its not immediately apparent that it has IMPROVED the state of your hair.

2. Difference in hair loss - In the last few days I've been losing long, thick and dark hairs as opposed to the thin spindly ones I'm used to. What is the significance of this? and there must be one, there has to be some difference between healthy hairs falling out, and practically dead ones falling out. I'm attributing this latest phenomenon to the new shampoo I'm using.. I decided I'd give one of those 'organic' hairloss specific shampoos again, and ever since I've been losing more hair, and thicker hair at that. It really annoys me, I only wanted something that would thicken my hair, without it containing sulphates... Yet they all seem to add a load of rubbish that causes sheds. Revita had the same effect on me.

3. My scalp is endlessly irritated and itchy, no matter what I use on it. I feel I should be using Nizoral, but that stuff did nothing to relieve the itchiness and it certainly didn't help the hair loss - I feel I started to shed on that stuff too. The only stuff that has left my scalp feeling nice for a while is a simple eucalyptus based organic shampoo.

Basically, there seem to be many specifics about hairloss which are unknown, yet I very much doubt they are insignificant and/or can't be interrogated successfully.

Have you ever tried Nioxin shampoo?

Nah, I do feel I need another good dandruff shampoo though.. might have to try nizoral again, maybe 1%

ohlife: That's a bummer about your accelerated shed!
    If it's any consolation, I've heard of cases where people didn't see finasteride "start to work" until 10, 12 or 14 months into treatment. I believe it was TeeJay in this thread who said his doctor recommended a 24-month trial period before passing judgment.
    Also, many balding men go through temporary phases of increased shedding, including men who are on finasteride.

I've never heard of a case where this drug was definitively found to speed up a man's MPB, but everyone's body is a little different. If you really think the drug is the culprit, you could try quitting. Just keep in mind the major risk that brings (which I'm sure you've heard about a million times by now).

By the way, when I started using 1% Nizoral shampoo my scalp tended to feel dry and sometimes like it itched. But it seemed to grow accustomed to the product after awhile, and now I've been using 2% for a long time and my scalp generally feels comfortable. Still maybe a little dryer than it would be otherwise, but if it bothers you a lot, you might consider using a conditioner after the shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Hey Rodney,

The good news is that the vast majority of those who use Propecia experience positive results. For some it does take time, while other’s might see a significant slowdown in shedding and even some regrowth after only three or four months.

I have a friend who didn’t see results from Propecia until around the 15 month mark of treatment. He was every discouraged initially, but I adviced him to stick it out. He’s now been on the drug for over 8 years, and calls my radio program toshare his experience with other’s who might be discourage after being on the drug for a while without noticing appreciable results. By the way, this guy is 43 and has maintained most of his hair.

Hang in there Rodney and give it time.
    Hi Spencer, I been taking Propecia for 6 months and i dont see any results. If they say you get the best results with 5mg why do the prescribe 1mg? What do you think about Dutasteride? I get loads of anxiety and stress and i feel that it's holding me back and maybe not contributing with Propecia. Since my hair is really thin now and scalp very visible in light, i feel i need something to stop it NOW. I don't see the point of this working after i lost almost everything and I'm also considering some restoration. My hair still falls off and i don't know what to do? I'm afraid to hold on with this longer, waste time and not get results, instead of maybe taking something stronger. What you think?

Default Can't see any results.

I been taking Propecia for 6 months and i dont see any results. If they say you get the best results with 5mg why do the prescribe 1mg? What do you think about Dutasteride? I get loads of anxiety and stress and i feel that it's holding me back and maybe not contributing with Propecia. Since my hair is really thin now and scalp very visible in light, i feel i need something to stop it NOW. I don't see the point of this working after i lost almost everything and I'm also considering some restoration. My hair still falls off and i don't know what to do? I'm afraid to hold on with this longer, waste time and not get results, instead of maybe taking something stronger. What you think?

Hi. I know everybody that posted are waiting for the results. But hey, what about any side effects encountered?