Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guitarxlife
    • Jul 2011

derm says shedding on PROPECIA is NOT NORMAL? please take a look

my hair is shedding like crazy, currently on my third round of propecia (three months, about week till my 4th). my dermatologist says this is not normal.. I am shedding hair each time I shower and each time I run my hands through my hair numerous hairs come out. I am not sure if I should keep taking it and riding it or stop? I am making an appt to go see her soon.

your thoughts on if I should continue?
  • guitarxlife
    • Jul 2011

I also forgot to mention 2-3 times a week I use Ketoconazole Shampoo 2% and Nizoral any other times I wash my hair that week

Comment

• guitarxlife
      • Jul 2011

I also forgot to mention 2-3 times a week I use Ketoconazole Shampoo 2% and Nizoral any other times I wash my hair that week But I have used this for the first month or two while using propecia and the shedding started two months after I began using propecia

Comment

• heynow1234
        • Jan 2009

hey man, ive been on Propecia 2 1/3 years, i thought i shed, but apparently it was only noticeable to me. but i think some people do shed like you, i think most derms dont really know to much about hairloss. Mine told me to use rogaine too and i said i was worried about a shed and they said they had never heard of such a thing. Meanwhile it says it right on the directions that come with the crap.

Comment

• heynow1234
          • Jan 2009

so you use generic keto shampo 3 times a week and Nizoral 4 days a week? Those are the same thing man, your using them way too much. Nizoral is brand name keto shampoo. You should us one or the other 2 times a week tops.

Comment

• mattj
            Doctor Representative
            • Oct 2009

It sounds like a normal Propecia shed to me. You don't make it sound like anything more than that.
            I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
              • Jan 2011

I agree derms are not exactly hair loss treatment experts. I honestly never noticed a shed while on any treatment, the only sheds I went through was when I was not using any hair loss treatments. But that doesn't mean sheds aren't normal, I think the majority of finasteride/minoxidil users get sheds.

Comment

• guitarxlife
                • Jul 2011

When I run my hands through my hair or use shampoo, I notice there are white bulbs attached to each hair. Does this say anything?

Comment

• heynow1234
                  • Jan 2009

nope that doesnt mean anything its sebum

Comment

• Bald26
                    • Jun 2011

dermatologists don't know much about hair loss (especially the female ones). They're only good at treating acne. Such a waste of money. If your scalp is oily, you should shampoo every day. Not twice a week

Comment

• scar85
                      • Aug 2011

no offense, but why even go to a female derm with conditions like MPB? Majority dont know jack shit about those conditions, there only good for skin not hair. But if your going just for a prescription, I can understand. Just dont listen to her about shedding not being normal.

Shedding while taking propecia is quite normal, i used to shed like crazy the first 5 months, and then on my 5th month it slowed down and eventually stopped. I still sometimes once or twice a month get minor shedding, but its probably due to my scalp infection that im still treating.

You should stick to propecia for atleast a year before making any final decisions.

Comment

Working...