+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by chipper03 View Post
    hdude... you sound like you really know your stuff. Um, hair wise lets see... the outermost side(s) of my head still gets real thick (like most). I have the bald spot in the back, my hairline is pretty much gone, top side(s) are gone, and the middle is still covered a bit. So imagine a U shape of no hair, hair in the middle, and the bald spot.

What is norwood? I am new to this, so excuse my potentially stupid questions. I have never heard of a 'hair system' either. Concealers are out of the question. I have never taken any type of Monoxidil, Rogaine, etc... Never. Just fear of worsening the condition rather than improving it. Plus I have heard the minute you stop taking these drugs, hair loss continues. Just seems like too much risk. But surgery, hair transplantation, or something along those lines would be worth investigating.
    Norwood scale:
    http://www.americanhairloss.org/men_...wood_scale.asp

As far as hair loss drugs:
    No reputable hair transplant clinic will operate on you at your age unless you are taking rogaine and propecia. They have a synergistic effect. One blocks DHT which is the mechanism inside the body responsible for shrinking the hair follicle, while rogaine acts as the 'caffeine' and strengthens the hair follicle. Doing nothing is going to keep making your condition worse. Taking these meds will not in all likelihood, and they most likely will help (even slowing down or stopping your loss with no regrowth is considered a success). Any hair transplant clinic will tell you the same and I would be shocked if they agreed to operate on you if you refuse to use them. Be wary of those clinics who would. Getting a transplant while continuing to lose more hair could make you look very very silly in a few years time. If you want to get a hair transplant, meds ARE A MUST.

Hair system:
    Basically a toupee. I think spencer recommends toplace.com. Not for everybody and requires some maintenance, but it could be an option if surgically you aren't a candidate.

Wow... are you sure? I had no idea. Do I have to use these meds even after the surgery. Is it a lifetime commitment. If what your saying is 100% true (I don't doubt it) then I am just going to have to deal with being bald. My body won't tolerate those meds. And I don't want to counter one problem (baldness) with the risk of others (acne, loss of sex drive, etc...) I am extremely sensitive to any outside chemicals. Always have been. I don't even take aspirin for headaches. I take nothing. Won't start now. I wasn't always like this though.

I just got off the phone with my father, and we were discussing the years my hair loss began. He has always believed my hair loss is a result of all my years drinking Pepto Bismol. Hear me out... My college years were stressful (I am a perfectionist of the highest order), I had a bleeding ulcer, chronic heartburn, and at times, bouts of insomnia. At the time I thought Pepto was the only relief.

I carried that bottle around like I was an addict. The minute I felt relief, I would drink some more. My family told me to find different pathways for stress relief other than Pepto (and I have since) BUT my father feels the damage was done. Is there medical proof to tie Pepto Bismal to baldness. No there isn't. My father thinks there is, but it is a stretch. I also began smoking after college (late smoker) to relieve once again... stress. Geez, I am making myself sound like a walking train wreck. haha

Now I use exercise. I love to run, lift weights, and swim. No supplements or protein shakes... I just do it for the breathing and the bulk. As far as chemicals are concerned... no chance ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by chipper03 View Post
    Wow... are you sure? I had no idea. Do I have to use these meds even after the surgery. Is it a lifetime commitment. If what your saying is 100% true (I don't doubt it) then I am just going to have to deal with being bald. My body won't tolerate those meds. And I don't want to counter one problem (baldness) with the risk of others (acne, loss of sex drive, etc...) I am extremely sensitive to any outside chemicals. Always have been. I don't even take aspirin for headaches. I take nothing. Won't start now. I wasn't always like this though.

I just got off the phone with my father, and we were discussing the years my hair loss began. He has always believed my hair loss is a result of all my years drinking Pepto Bismol. Hear me out... My college years were stressful (I am a perfectionist of the highest order), I had a bleeding ulcer, chronic heartburn, and at times, bouts of insomnia. At the time I thought Pepto was the only relief.

I carried that bottle around like I was an addict. The minute I felt relief, I would drink some more. My family told me to find different pathways for stress relief other than Pepto (and I have since) BUT my father feels the damage was done. Is there medical proof to tie Pepto Bismal to baldness. No there isn't. My father thinks there is, but it is a stretch. I also began smoking after college (late smoker) to relieve once again... stress. Geez, I am making myself sound like a walking train wreck. haha

Now I use exercise. I love to run, lift weights, and swim. No supplements or protein shakes... I just do it for the breathing and the bulk. As far as chemicals are concerned... no chance ever again.
    Not a chance pepto bismal is making your hair fall out. What you described your hair loss as being is classic male pattern baldness. rogaine and propecia have very little sides if any. Its an internet myth that they do and most hair transplant clinics will tell you the same. And yes, meds are a lifetime commitment. Just like brushing your teeth is.

But if you are against them, then I doubt any clinic would operate on you. Good luck mate.

Thank you for all your insight hdude. Looks like I have some thinking and research to do.

Hdude is right. Any worthwhile surgeon will be mindful of the ongoing problems and thusly advocate propecia and minoxidl. I appreciate that this is a consideration but once you are on a regime, it just seems part of your everyday routine. Bear in mind that numerous companies are working on the next new treament. It is likely that propecia will be replaced by whichever new modality emerges. It's anyone's guess how this will take but things are looking good and I would'nt be surprised if there is a new option on the horizon within the next ten years.

Good luck with whatever you decide though!

It sounds like you could be a NW4-5.

I can relate to what you said about choosing jobs based on the ability to feel comfortable in them while dealing with a personal problem. For me it wasn't hairloss specifically though.

It does sound like you're at least partially at a point where you can accept your hair.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com