+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    if you think like this - they want money. some $ and you own a girl

Yup, ask Prince Albert about it. Ugly dude, with a hottie.

I know what you guys are talking about. It is so easy for some one who is not suffering from hair loss to just say stupid and shallow statements like 'accept it and adapt to it' or 'focus on other qualities like your wardrobe, your fitness, and your personality'. It's just total horseshit. People who don't experience hair loss will NEVER understand until it personally happens to them. As I've said before, I've tried seeing shrinks about my hair loss but their advice was absolutely useless. I am not going to 'accept it and adapt to it'. Having a full head of hair is just too damn important to me to live without it. If I don't have a full head of hair, I'd be miserable every day (like I am now) and that's no way to go through life. And as I've said before, so many other discoveries that are much more complicated than hair loss have been discovered/solved so it really is unacceptable to me that in this day and age, there is no cure or effective treatment for hair loss. The other bit of advice like 'focus on other qualities like your wardrobe, your fitness, and your personality' usually come from some cutesy and insensitive little article from some shitbag magazine like Men's Health. They'll mock baldness in the article and try to make light of it by mentioning useless losers like that character from Seinfeld, along with a picture of some guy's bald head for illustration. U think that any magazine would mock female hair loss like that?? Hell no!! That's why I give Spencer a ton of credit for creating this website, which helps to show the insensitive world that baldness is a debilitating and depressing disease, and not some comical source for jokes.
    VictimOfDHT, I give you a ton of credit for 'refusing to accept' baldness and going through all of the hair transplants to try and rectify it. Believe me, I have that same fighting spirit that you have and a 'refusal to accept' baldness, except I'm just not sold on hair transplants. It is a huge procedure that people tell that if I'm not sure about it, then don't do it. Mainly, I'm afraid of all the permanent scarring that it causes. I'm afraid that not all of the transplanted hair will hold (you're not the only I know who has experienced loss of transplanted hair), and I'd be forced to shave my head. The only worse thing than a shaved head to me would be a shaved head with noticeable scars and cobblestone marks from a hair transplant. I also heard that there are permanent little cobblestone marks from where the hair is yanked out before it is transplanted to the desired area. I am really looking for a procedure that can cause miniaturized hairs to regrow normally again. I have contacted several doctors about PRP or PRP/Acell, and I'm thinking about doing those. I just haven't seen any definitive results from either one. As I've said before, what really frustrates me is what few options we have to combat hair loss. Rogaine hasn't done a damn thing for me. Propecia can slow down hair loss but it hasn't done a damn thing to regrow hair. Although I think that Propecia has affected my muscle structure (making my muscles soft and flabby instead of hard and muscular), I'm not gonna get off of it because I'm SCARED TO DEATH of losing any more hair. I've always been a powerlifter so having muscles has always been very important to me. So what I'm doing is taking creatine (supplement) in addition to Propecia. Hopefully creatine will get my muscles back to where they used to be without causing hair loss. In terms of hair transplants, although I really do not begrudge people for getting them (no one wants to be bald), I've come to the conclusion that most people on here will not get them because of all the stuff that can go wrong (permanent marking and scarring, shock loss, loss of transplanted hair, etc.). I think that a lot of doctors know that most people won't get hair transplants but they do them anything because it makes them the most money. Man, it's really about ****in time we have more options to combat hair loss.

Oh, and one last thing. I've been looking for other options for hair loss than are not hair transplants and I came across Dr. Alexander Kulick in NYC. Apparently he uses mesotherapy, where he injects vitamins and nutrients like biotin and silica and dutasteride directly into the scalp to thicken existing hair and reverse miniaturization. His argument is that since he is injecting these nutrients directly into the scalp, it has a significant effect on the scalp only, as opposed to when these nutrients are taken orally and thereby given to all parts of the body. I'm not sure if I buy it or not.
    Oh yeah, and another last thing (-: Does anyone notice extra shedding in the summertime?

I don't buy any of the "hair vitamin" crap that some clinics/so-called doctors try to sell us. So I don't believe what this Alexander dude claims and I wouldn't even bother with it. The rule still stands- if it worked it would be all over the news.

Well, it's a fact that some or maybe even most people -balding or not- do experience more shedding during certain times of the year. Some say in winter some say in summer. For me, my hair seems to go into a massive shedding period from around Jan to early summer. This only has been happening for the past 3 years, but this year is the worst and most devastating for some god damn reason.

Yeah, you are probably right, the vitamins injected into the scalp are probably b.s. But at least he was one doctor who didn't seem so indebted to the goddamn hair transplant. But I did see some validity to his injecting dutasteride into the scalp as opposed to taking it orally. Then it only affects the scalp and doesn't screw up hormonal production throughout your entire body. I know a lot of people don't have any side effects taking Propecia, but I believe that I have some side effects in terms of muscle building. I believe that it stands to reason that Propecia will have some side effects since its goal is to drastically alter hormonal levels with the entire body. At least by injecting stuff like dutasteride into the scalp, at least it only affects the scalp and not the entire body. But to those who have no side effects taking Propecia, God bless you, keep continuing to take it. Hell, as much as I don't like it, I'm gonna continue to take it because I'm scared to death of going bald.
    But you're right VictimOfDHT, the vitamin injection probably ain't gonna work. But I disagree to a certain extent that if there was some effective treatment for baldness, that it would be all over the news. If there was a one-shot miracle cure, then yes, it would be all over the news. But in terms of the media reporting things, I don't trust them at all. I mean, we see them reporting all the time on the stupid 'mouse' experiments that 'could', 'may', or 'might' grow hair in humans, yet there were much fewer stories on Histogen's successes with hair regrowth. I dunno, I really think that initially we're going to have to aggressively seek out tratments on our own as opposed to relying on what the media does or does not report.

Also, one last thing to clarify myself. Maybe the media would report some huge development that would promote robust hair growth but in terms of lesser-known strategies that would thicken existing hair or regrow miniaturized hair, I think we need to seek those out on our own. Treatments that involve things like PRP or PRP+Acell; I think we would need to seek out those treatments on our own. I mean, I'm not even looking for something right now that would totally regrow my hair out of the blue. If something like PRP or PRP+Acell would turn my miniaturized hairs into terminal hair and/or thicken my hairs, I would jump for joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post

Yup, ask Prince Albert about it. Ugly dude, with a hottie.
    Hair or no hair-if you ain't got the bucks you won't get the hot ****s

Actually, depressedbyhairloss, if the media report success achieved in regrowing hair in mice all the time, imagine what they'd do if a real treatment for hair loss (in humans) was discovered. There's no doubt it will be major news for some time. There is no way such an event would go unnoticed by the media big and small. That's why I'm skeptical even about PRP injections. If they were so good why aren't more doctors performing them and why aren't more people getting them ? Why aren't we even hearing more about them ?

Hey VictimOfDHT, you and me are really in the same boat in that we refuse to accept hair loss, but I just don't trust the media at all with regards to reporting new and innovative hair loss treatments. But if there was something huge, then I agree, at least some elements of the media would be all over it. I agree that PRP hasn't been proven to do all that much, but I think that many doctors aren't performing it (or looking into performing new hair regrowth methods) simply because they could make a lot more money doing these hair transplants. Most hair transplants I believe cost at least $10,000, oftentimes more than that, yet these PRP injections go for around $1,000. And a non-invasive, non-surgical hair regrowth procedure (if developed) would probably have to cost a hell of a lot less than a hair transplant. Who knows, maybe the right mix of PRP and Acell will work?
    Also, I remember you saying that your transplanted hair is now falling out (so sorry about that, man), but I really believe that this is a far more common occurrence than we're led to believe. My friend had the same thing happen to him. Also, I thought about this as I was hangin' out over the weekend and I saw a guy with an ear-to-ear linear scar and a shaved head. I can only imagine that his hair transplant went horribly wrong and he was forced to shave his head. God, if there was even an option to regrow hair without scarring right now, I would literally pay something like $30,000 without even thinking twice.

there hasn't been anything newsworthy regarding hair loss treatment since propecia. i'm surprised all these small experiments using mice are receiving the attention that they're getting. even on paper future treatments like what histogen and aderans is working on doesn't seem all that promising. if someone finds a 'cure' for hair loss then it will be BIG NEWS, TMZ style.