Thymosin beta 4 - activation of hair stem cells - Page 3 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    876

    Default

    I heard that Dr. Greco has a new thing now called Orogen Plus which is a supposed improvement over PRP. I like Dr. Greco because: 1. He seems dedicated to developing new treatments for hair loss, 2. He doesn't solely focus on hair transplants to treat hair loss, and 3. He is always very responsive and informative on here and in e-mails.
    If he developed something new, I would go to him.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I heard that Dr. Greco has a new thing now called Orogen Plus which is a supposed improvement over PRP. I like Dr. Greco because: 1. He seems dedicated to developing new treatments for hair loss, 2. He doesn't solely focus on hair transplants to treat hair loss, and 3. He is always very responsive and informative on here and in e-mails.
    If he developed something new, I would go to him.
    I heard about it too. I'm hoping the new formula is better. And I agree, Dr. Greco is a respectable doc. I just wish these treatments weren't released until proven worthy. They should definitely be testing new formulas on people to see if they can eventually connect the dots, but they should be providing the treatment for free or for a fraction of the current price.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    750

    Default

    So, let me ask you this. Would you guys go for that "new" treatment offered by Dr. Greco ? I've heard good things about this doctor but I'm asking the same thing, how come we're not hearing more about this treatment ? Any body knows if it at least stops further hair loss ?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    Yeah, I saw it. But that video is about 2 years old. It's probably the only documented PRP case that shows vast improvement. If anyone has seen other pictures/videos of patients who have had noticeable success with PRP, please provide a link. I personally haven't seen any evidence that leads me to believe that PRP is a viable solution for hair loss. And this is coming from someone (me) who received PRP injections over a year ago.

    Man, like seriously, with all the talk about PRP over the last 3 years and with all dialogue about acell over the last 18 months, there should be substantial, undeniable evidence that these treatments are working. There's been a bunch of hearsay, but nothing concrete.
    At least, with ACell, work's been going on for only less than ~one year, and one expects to hear news at this September's (2011) I.S.H.R.S. meeting. Straight P.R.P. injections seem to me to be a total bust.

    Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I heard that Dr. Greco has a new thing now called Orogen Plus which is a supposed improvement over PRP. I like Dr. Greco because: 1. He seems dedicated to developing new treatments for hair loss, 2. He doesn't solely focus on hair transplants to treat hair loss, and 3. He is always very responsive and informative on here and in e-mails.
    If he developed something new, I would go to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    I heard about it too. I'm hoping the new formula is better. And I agree, Dr. Greco is a respectable doc. I just wish these treatments weren't released until proven worthy. They should definitely be testing new formulas on people to see if they can eventually connect the dots, but they should be providing the treatment for free or for a fraction of the current price.
    I've nothing against Dr. Greco or against trying new things to address hairloss, but it's important to keep in mind all these "experiemental procedures" are at high out-of-pocket costs to the patient. Doctors seem to sometimes hide behind "disclaimers" such as, "This is wholly experimental; you might not achieve any benefit," but the fact is, if it's being offered, the patient's being told there's reason to think it might work. It's unsurpising desperate people would be willing to invest in such perceived promise.

    This largely is why I think it's respectable for surgeons to refrain from jumping on every "innovation" bandwagon that comes along: doing so might annoy those who wish doctors would "just try something; stop spinning the same old wheel," but it also keeps the surgeons from looking somewhat unscrupulous.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    99

    Default

    @hairtalk-Actually, Dr. Hitzig did one his first presentations back in 2009. Check this link out: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...ighlight=Acell (click on the link inside of the thread). There should be several documented cases and this forum should be flooded with acell pictures, considering it's already been two years.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    99

    Default

    @victimofdht-Yeah, I would try it, but I'm going to hang tight until some documented cases come forward showing it works. I don't want to jump the gun again.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    @hairtalk-Actually, Dr. Hitzig did one his first presentations back in 2009. Check this link out: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...ighlight=Acell (click on the link inside of the thread). There should be several documented cases and this forum should be flooded with acell pictures, considering it's already been two years.
    To my knowledge, Dr. Cooley did not begin working with ACell and plucking until 2009/2010, and he did present those results late in 2010. The work he's done since should be shared later this year (2011). Dr. Bernstein didn't begin his research with the compound until, I believe, just mid 2011; of course, we can't expect a "flood" of data or pictures just a couple of months into a study.

    I hope I don't come off trying to defend the merits of ACell — I don't know whether there are any. It seems to me, however, this still is a "new" product, and I thus am reservedly hopeful it can be beneficial in treating hairloss. As for straight injections of P.R.P., there's a lot less I have to be enthusiastic about. For one thing, yes, the idea has been around longer, and I don't see any positive results from it. For another, I feel it requires less experimentation: ACell is supposed to work in conjunction with surgery, and figuring out how best to administer it might require a fair amount of effort and creativity. With P.R.P. on its own, however, one more simply must work out dosing; after that, it's direct shots into the scalp, then checking for growth.

    I suppose by the end of 2011, though, we all should have a stronger sense to where we ought to set our hopes.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    876

    Default

    VictimOfDHT: You ask if I would go to Dr. Greco for this new treatment........ I know that I have to do something soon because I just can't 'accept' this hair loss. I am narrowing down where to go for either straight PRP, PRP & Acell, or PRP & Acell & Thrombin. Dr. Greco is definitely one of the three doctors that I am now considering. He has shown great respect in responding at length to all of my e-mails and I certainly trust him more than I do other doctors. It seems that some of these other doctors don't really give a shit about you unless you're interested in a hair transplant (their main money maker). But honestly, I'm still not sure. I am so desperate to do something to either stop my hair loss (besides the Propecia I'm taking), yet there are just no effective options out there. And now I'm hearing that PRP+Acell may cause some initial shedding as well. If there is something that could just thicken my hair and reverse some of my miniaturized follicles, I wouldn't even hesitate to do it. And I'd pay whatever it costs.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    VictimOfDHT: You ask if I would go to Dr. Greco for this new treatment........ I know that I have to do something soon because I just can't 'accept' this hair loss. I am narrowing down where to go for either straight PRP, PRP & Acell, or PRP & Acell & Thrombin. Dr. Greco is definitely one of the three doctors that I am now considering. He has shown great respect in responding at length to all of my e-mails and I certainly trust him more than I do other doctors. It seems that some of these other doctors don't really give a shit about you unless you're interested in a hair transplant (their main money maker). But honestly, I'm still not sure. I am so desperate to do something to either stop my hair loss (besides the Propecia I'm taking), yet there are just no effective options out there. And now I'm hearing that PRP+Acell may cause some initial shedding as well. If there is something that could just thicken my hair and reverse some of my miniaturized follicles, I wouldn't even hesitate to do it. And I'd pay whatever it costs.
    O.K.: you really need to step back and take a breath. I can imagine how sick you may be of hearing things like that, but, as you admit, you have no magic bullet to load, here. What you want — to stop losing hair, and to grow back a significant amount — does not exist. I'd recommend you not resort to pissing away money simply because you're frustrated and want to do "something."

    Try to keep in mind, you don't actually want to do just "something": you want to do something that works. Again, besides transplantation and medical therapy (the latter of which you say you already are on), nothing has been demonstrated to do so. Paying to have things shot into your scalp that have not proved to help with your problem is no more likely to treat your balding than is your withdrawing several thousand dollars from your bank account and using the bills as kindling.

    If you want to, try to think of it this way, too: you very likely have limited funds. Let's say you go out and blow $4,000.00, to-morrow, on some bogus procedure; a year down the line, then, that new gold standard in treatment does come along. Do you really want to find yourself, at that point, with as little cash in your pocket as you have hair on your head?

    Go ahead and try to take that step back and that breath.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    VictimOfDHT: You ask if I would go to Dr. Greco for this new treatment........ I know that I have to do something soon because I just can't 'accept' this hair loss. I am narrowing down where to go for either straight PRP, PRP & Acell, or PRP & Acell & Thrombin. Dr. Greco is definitely one of the three doctors that I am now considering. He has shown great respect in responding at length to all of my e-mails and I certainly trust him more than I do other doctors. It seems that some of these other doctors don't really give a shit about you unless you're interested in a hair transplant (their main money maker). But honestly, I'm still not sure. I am so desperate to do something to either stop my hair loss (besides the Propecia I'm taking), yet there are just no effective options out there. And now I'm hearing that PRP+Acell may cause some initial shedding as well. If there is something that could just thicken my hair and reverse some of my miniaturized follicles, I wouldn't even hesitate to do it. And I'd pay whatever it costs.
    I am as desperate as you are if not even more, you know. That video about Dr. Greco's procedure kind of raised my hope for a day or two but now when I think about realistically I dont feel optimistic about it at all. If it really worked as good as we're told we would be seeing and hearing a lot more about it, it would be offered by a lot more doctors, and people would be jumping on it. But that's not happening even though it's been out for a couple of years as you know, which only means one thing....

Similar Threads

  1. Researchers have grown the world’s first hair follicle using stem cells
    By PayDay in forum Men's Hair Loss: Start Your Own Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 07:54 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM
  3. Stem cells from Bone Marrow
    By KeepHoping in forum Non Surgical Hair Replacement
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 02:23 AM
  4. European scientists have reprogrammed stem cells to grow skin and hair cells
    By clee984 in forum Cutting Edge / Future Treatments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 11:31 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Started testosterone gel. Should I increase finasteride dose?
Yesterday 12:21 PM
by NickM
Last Post By NickM
Yesterday 07:42 PM
Free Seminar with Dr. Mohebi in San Francisco, 6/22/19
05-31-2019 10:29 AM
Last Post By pkipling
Yesterday 10:49 AM
3100 Grafts with Dr. Cinik In Istanbul, Turkey
02-26-2019 03:24 PM
Last Post By andreicdinu
Yesterday 08:51 AM
9 month early growth after transplant repair with Dr. Lindsey
05-13-2019 06:27 AM
Last Post By Dr. Lindsey
Yesterday 05:15 AM