+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Latisse

Default Latisse

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_MindB...ry?id=13536165

I wonder if there's any potential in Latisse (a.k.a., Lumigan, bimatoprost) for treating androgenic alopecia (male-pattern baldness). (I know this has been discussed, somewhat, before, but I felt like starting a fresh thread on the topic.)

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more interest in this. I know Allergan was doing a Phase I clinical trial and results were supposed to be available in February, but so far no word. Maybe the results were underwhelming?

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more interest in this. I know Allergan was doing a Phase I clinical trial and results were supposed to be available in February, but so far no word. Maybe the results were underwhelming?
    February, 2011? Even if the results turned out negative, I suppose we should be able to read them.

There was an interest. ppl on another forum are testing it. So far, they are getting no or very negligible results only.

One is for sure 0.03% solution is too low for scalp hair. And the lack of results from the guys who are testing it seems to suggest that even stronger versions will most probably be only an alternative to minoxidil.

The problem is in the stumptail monkeys we are not sure what is the right dose,and as we can buy it now its only in 3ml bottles which you can get fot about £12 at some sites that is still expensive if you tried 1ml twice a day.
    I think that latanoprost was in the revitalash eyelash regrowth but was taken out due to the us fda as its a drug,but when it contained latanoprost it did work on eyelash regrowth.
    Its a shame that uk and fda need expensive trials before it can be available to humans which revitalash and other companies cannot afford,that is why ru58841 has not been available to us.
    We know that some drugs maybe unsafe and need trials but some natural products have been on sale to humans that are unsafe so if i wanted to use lattise as a topical its up to me and i have used many unlicenced hair loss products such as dutasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by doke View Post
    The problem is in the stumptail monkeys we are not sure what is the right dose,and as we can buy it now its only in 3ml bottles which you can get fot about £12 at some sites that is still expensive if you tried 1ml twice a day.
    I think that latanoprost was in the revitalash eyelash regrowth but was taken out due to the us fda as its a drug,but when it contained latanoprost it did work on eyelash regrowth.
    Its a shame that uk and fda need expensive trials before it can be available to humans which revitalash and other companies cannot afford,that is why ru58841 has not been available to us.
    We know that some drugs maybe unsafe and need trials but some natural products have been on sale to humans that are unsafe so if i wanted to use lattise as a topical its up to me and i have used many unlicenced hair loss products such as dutasteride.
    "Stumptail monkeys"? What does that mean?

I agree we've no idea about dosing bimatoprost for scalp hairloss, but I don't know the quantity would be 1mL simply because that's what's recommended for minoxidil.

I understand the problems associated with the de facto requirement of running costly and lengthy trials before being allowed to put a product on the market, but, at the same time, I feel such requirements facilitate limiting the sale of products that else would easily have failed such testing.

Quote Originally Posted by HairTalk View Post
    "Stumptail monkeys"? What does that mean?

I agree we've no idea about dosing bimatoprost for scalp hairloss, but I don't know the quantity would be 1mL simply because that's what's recommended for minoxidil.

I understand the problems associated with the de facto requirement of running costly and lengthy trials before being allowed to put a product on the market, but, at the same time, I feel such requirements facilitate limiting the sale of products that else would easily have failed such testing.
    Thats what the lattise trial used stumptail monkeys? and of course they suffer from frontal hair loss and lattise regrew there hair.
    You need to find the study its interesting.

I think it is obvious that the 0.03 concentration used for eyelash growth isn't going to do much for scalp hair. I don't know what dosage Allergan was testing, but I'm sure it had to be a lot stronger.

I've noticed that a lot of people on the forums I visit seem to confuse Dr. Bauman's informal studies using Latisse with the official clinical trials underway that are sponsored by Allergan. Dr. Bauman was using the 0.03 concentration that is available now by prescription, and while there may have been some regrowth in Dr. Bauman's study, my understanding was the results were not impressive.

What I do find intriguing are Hideo Uno's studies of bimatoprost on stump-tailed macaques. He claims results that were 100 times better than minoxidil. I have no idea what concentration or delivery system he used though.

I think it is obvious that the 0.03 concentration used for eyelash growth isn't going to do much for scalp hair. I don't know what dosage Allergan was testing, but I'm sure it had to be a lot stronger.

I've noticed that a lot of people on the forums I visit seem to confuse Dr. Bauman's informal studies using Latisse with the official clinical trials underway that are sponsored by Allergan. Dr. Bauman was using the 0.03 concentration that is available now by prescription, and while there may have been some regrowth in Dr. Bauman's study, my understanding was the results were not impressive.

What I do find intriguing are Hideo Uno's studies of bimatoprost on stump-tailed macaques. He claims results that were 100 times better than minoxidil. I have no idea what concentration or delivery system he used though.
    Would you be able to provide a link to the text of the study?