+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 and going bald fast.

It seems I may have finally found the place to talk about my problems and hopefully find some answers.

I am 21 years old and suffering badly from MPB. My hairline has receeded quite alot since the age of 18 and in the last 6 months the hair on my scalp has become really thin. I went to my doctor today and he said I should either start using Propecia (which after researching I am very scared to use due to the side effects caused) or go to hair/plastic surgeon and see what they have to say.

I really don't know what to do. I have also shaved my hair off recently to see how my hair looks but as I don't have a full hairline and my face is rather long and egg shaped it doesn't suit me, but I am willing to try it out again and go for a number 1 or 0.5 blade so its not completely bald.

I'm seriously thinking of having a HT done. At first I thought of just getting my hair line restored but now I want to have a full HT. I am looking for short term results (5-10 years) thereafter I won't be too bothered of losing my hair again. After looking at the Norwood scale for hair loss I seem to be a 3.

Please have a look at my pictures and all feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.JPG

Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	10226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911.jpg

Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	10228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg

Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	10229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg

Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	10230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG

Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	10231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg

Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	10232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	10233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg

Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	10234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg

Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	10235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.JPG

Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	10236  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0933.JPG

Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	10237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg

Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	10238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG

Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	10239  

the side effects occur in 2% of people. The top of the head shot doesn't look too good. You can see a horshoe pattern developing already. I would jump on fin,minox,nizoral regimen, and abstain from testosterone fueling activities as much as possible. Report back in 6 months you should have at least maintained what you have now with that regimen.

Hey man, welcome to the forums. You are at right place, you should be able to get some great advice here.

I am newbie but would like to give my input. First off I can only imagine how brutal it might be on you to go through this at such a young age, but there is hope :-)

I would say you should start using rogaine ASAP !! It should help you with your hair loss on the top of your head. And about Propecia, I am not so sure given that fact that you are very young. Although I started Propecia myself about a month ago, but I am older than you are.

About the HT you need to do your research man, from the pics we see here it looks like it can be life changing but who knows. If rogaine is helpful in treating the top of your head, maybe you can have your hairline restored and enjoy your 20s.

Your general hair outline is a NW3 but there's significant thinning throughout the top which shows a high Norwood pattern emerging. In the most revealing photos the frontal region looks very thin. Your donor area doesn't look very dense either, and if you're losing hair fast then you could find yourself a NW5 very soon, with a NW6 following after a while.

I hate to drop a lot of negativity on you but that's the honest truth. It would be very wise to see how you go with a Finasteride/Minoxidil combo, to at least see if you can prevent any more loss from the crown and make some sort of frontal HT procedure feasible in the future.

You say you thought the buzz cut didn't suit you. Anyone who is used to having longer hair and who suddenly shaves it off for the first time will have trouble adjusting to seeing their face in a new context. We can't see your face, but based on what can be seen, I'm guessing you'd pull off the look better than average.

I'm sort of worried by what you say about wanting short term results.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hey bro I really do trio is it's that bad first of all I'm 21 also and iv been losing hair since about 18 but didn't reliaze till I was 19 and at 20 I really noticed my hairline to recede I had alot hairs falling out in from and back and up top and my front had really miniature little hairs I thought that they would grow out but the just fell of. Anyway I got the shit scared out of me u know cuz I had some sick ass hair man . Anyway I went to the doctor and he looked at my head and asked me I where it was falling so I told him anyway he told me that there's propecia so I got perscribed propecia and been on proscar since then.
    Heck I tried it without even knowing or reading any of theside effects haha I just cracked the bottle ate the pil. It's been around a year I don't think I hav any side effects at first I had a bit less sex drive but didn't really stop me much haha. I Gota say that im still freaking out cuz I'm afraid of hairless just the thought of being bald scares the crap out of me so ur not alone.
    I did have shedding for like thefirst 3 months then it was sorta steady then recently like about a 2 to 3 months ago I started shedding more and more and now at present I'm shedding like extremely alot . My hair looks like crap to me and my sides are definitely growing more hairs and faster than the top and front. But I do Gota say with all that shedding recently I do see alot of white hairs sticking out and lots of little black ones round my hairline. Anyway sorry whoever reading this that I wrote so much this is my first post ever on any forum. Anyway bros I believe u should definitely try propecia- proscar and see how it goes if not there's always a chance to stop at least in my case.

also dude it really does looks to me like u could definitely improve what u have at least do something before u lose anymore. Good luck

Thanks for your replies guys. As you know I am really concerned about everything but I am prepared to give the Propecia/Minoxidil/Nizoral treatment a go for at least 6 months.

However I do have a few questions I would like to be answered. Sorry if they are long but I would extremely appreciate it if they were answered so things can become more clearer for me, thank you.

1. Is there hope for me or am I fighting a lost cause with regards to my hair situation?

2. What will using Propecia, Minoxidil and Nizoral do for my hair in the short term and long term (what should I expect) and does the treatment work?

3. What dosage do I take for Propecia and how many times can I use Nizoral in a week?

4. Where is the best place to buy the products and should I get a private prescription from my GP for the medication?

5. Do you have to use Propecia, Minoxidil and Nizoral forever once you start treatment?

6. What happens if I stop using them after 6 months to 1 year, and will they cause long term side effects?

7. Do you shed a lot of hair when you start the treatment and how long is it till you start to see results?

8. Am I allowed to wear a hat and wet my hair when I use Minoxidil and how often should I wash my hair?

9. What is the difference between Propecia and Proscar?

10. Is it worth me using Toppik?

Once again, sorry for the length of these questions, if they can be answered in as much detail as possible then the feedback would be invaluable to me in my decision making.

Regards
    Rizwan