+ Reply to Thread

Default Cosmetic Improvements – Where would you stop?

There was a feature on morning tv in the UK today discussing Shane Warne the ex Australian cricketer. His hair was the subject of much discussion some years ago when possibly had a HT. Whatever treatment he did or did not have his hair has clearly improved and I thought that would be the end of it.

However the programme today was suggesting that he has had cosmetic work done to his face. I am surprised by this. I did not think that he would be a candidate for this kind of thing.

http://www.itv.com/daybreak/lifestyl...a-certain-age/

I am wondering where you will stop if, as we all hope, the vast majority of our hair loss can be restored in the not too distant future. I personally doubt if I would ever go for any other form of cosmetic improvement. I would be so delighted to have my crown filled in again. That said, I am sure that I have a longer more negative face after spending hours looking in mirrors at my crown and never enjoying the experience. So if I get my crown fixed will I get the bug and start thinking about other bits to fix up!

Interesting question. Hair loss might work to trigger a kind of body dysmorphia in some people, where in their heads, their baldness renders the rest of their features ugly as well. Who's to say where the corrective surgery would stop, if we had the means? Long before my hair started to thin, I felt insecure about my skinny frame, and was frightened of what aging would do to my body. At least with wrinkles, you could become a great candidate for black and white art photography. Baldness? Harder to valourize in the arts. Or anywhere.

If you get it into your head that one thing that's recognized as a sign of aging (hair loss) is utterly unacceptable, and assuming something like Aderans or Histogen will come to market (thus helping us to actually "fix") the problem, when does your body become acceptable to you again?

I screwed up the bracket placement there. Big whoop, want to fight about it?

i guess the realy bad thing abt pre-mature hairloss is that, at least in sme cultures/ social circles (including mine), its ok for others to make fun of the victim. even though the victim has no control over the disease/condition and there is no cure. it's very sad.