+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Dr. Cooley and ACell

This is a message to Dr. Cooley. Toward the end of 2010, we all became quite excited to hear of your promising results with ACell. I recall hearing you would be carrying on experiments with the compound to see whether it could, indeed, be used to "clone" hair follicles (in conjunction with plucking, I believe) (i.e., via regeneration in the donor area).

It now being the middle of 2011, and thus more than six months' having passed since the end of 2010, I wonder if you may share with us what, if any, results you are seeing in this work of yours.

Thank you.

Default NHI results for Plucking with Acell

NHI ACell Update?
    June 27 2011, 2:58 pm PT | Posted in: ACell

Dear Dr. Rassman

You posted on the 5th Nov 2010 that NHI was conducting a study using Acell for hair multiplication. As we are now half way through 2011 I am wondering if you have any updates in regards to the results you’ve experience so far. I’ve heard stuff from Dr. Cooley and Dr. Cole but nothing from yourself so far.

I look forward to your answer.

Regards

I have seen most of the half dozen people that I performed ACell plucking procedures. They averaged 200-300 plucked grafts. Although there was some growth from the plucked hairs, there was just as much growth in the control group as in the ACell treated group. I would conclude from this that I have not replicated the results reported by others.

With regard to the large number of patients where I used ACell in the wounds of strip surgeries, I have seen some value, although I have not called them all back to evaluate their wounds.

For hair multiplication, I am not considering performing more of these procedures until I view the results of others at the upcoming ISHRS meeting in Anchorage, Alaska this September.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HairTalk View Post
    This is a message to Dr. Cooley. Toward the end of 2010, we all became quite excited to hear of your promising results with ACell. I recall hearing you would be carrying on experiments with the compound to see whether it could, indeed, be used to "clone" hair follicles (in conjunction with plucking, I believe) (i.e., via regeneration in the donor area).

It now being the middle of 2011, and thus more than six months' having passed since the end of 2010, I wonder if you may share with us what, if any, results you are seeing in this work of yours.

Thank you.
    Thank you for your interest. Our work with autocloning/hair duplication continues. As I've mentioned recently, we are compiling our cases to present as a series in the fall. This will give people a much more accurate idea of what they can expect. When a single patient is presented with good results, perhaps what appears to be 90% graft take, then people naturally assume that is what they can expect. Conversely, if a patient with 30% growth is presented, that is what people will expect. It is better to see a group of 10 patients for example, to see the range of results that can be achieved.

We did this case yesterday and it illustrates some important points. This patient has diffuse patterned alopecia and did not want strip or FUE transplants. We performed a test 3 months ago of 400 2 hair plucked grafts and the patient reported positive results. Normally we would wait at least 6 months to make a judgement on this but his job situation dictated that this would be the best time to do a larger case.

Photos show the pre-test appearance (with long hair) and the immediate post-op photo of the test zone. He shaved his head to facilitate the larger grafting procedure and the second photo is the 3 month result showing evident hair growth (perhaps 50% at 3 months?) in the test area. It is much more difficult to assign a % value to the success than might be supposed. There is also skin darkening but this is mostly due to temporary increased vascularity from ACell which will likely fade over time. Close up photos show the center of the test zone with not only the dark grafted hairs growing but also what appears to be some thickening of the miniaturized hairs in between; compare this to the scalp immediately adjacent to the test area.

We performed approximately 3000 plucked grafts and these were placed at relatively low density over the entire thinning area. The goal is to not only get 3000 grafts of new hair, but also to thicken miniaturizing hairs in between the grafts. We will determine this in 12 months.

Thanks again for your interest. I will be presenting more results in a few months.

Regards

Dr Cooley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg

Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	10325   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	10326   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg

Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	10327   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg

Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	10328   Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg

Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	10329   Click image for larger version

Name:	control.jpg

Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	10330   Click image for larger version

Name:	post op.jpg

Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	10331  
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Default Question for Dr.Cooley regarding Dr. Rassman's results

Dear Dr. Cooley

Thank you for coming on here and answering our questions. It's great to hear about your progress with Acell and plucking and to see pictures too.

I was just wondering if you could shed any light on why Dr. Rassman does not seem to have gotten the same positive results as yourself? Could you not work with these other doctors to show them how you're achieving such results? Surely the more doctors there are all working using the same technique then the sooner Acell and plucking may become the standard of care thus saving many people from the unpleasent scaring commonly associated with conventional hair transplants.

Thank you once again for all the hard work you're putting in to try and find a solution to hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cooley, MD View Post
    Thank you for your interest. Our work with autocloning/hair duplication continues. As I've mentioned recently, we are compiling our cases to present as a series in the fall. This will give people a much more accurate idea of what they can expect. When a single patient is presented with good results, perhaps what appears to be 90% graft take, then people naturally assume that is what they can expect. Conversely, if a patient with 30% growth is presented, that is what people will expect. It is better to see a group of 10 patients for example, to see the range of results that can be achieved.

We did this case yesterday and it illustrates some important points. This patient has diffuse patterned alopecia and did not want strip or FUE transplants. We performed a test 3 months ago of 400 2 hair plucked grafts and the patient reported positive results. Normally we would wait at least 6 months to make a judgement on this but his job situation dictated that this would be the best time to do a larger case.

Photos show the pre-test appearance (with long hair) and the immediate post-op photo of the test zone. He shaved his head to facilitate the larger grafting procedure and the second photo is the 3 month result showing evident hair growth (perhaps 50% at 3 months?) in the test area. It is much more difficult to assign a % value to the success than might be supposed. There is also skin darkening but this is mostly due to temporary increased vascularity from ACell which will likely fade over time. Close up photos show the center of the test zone with not only the dark grafted hairs growing but also what appears to be some thickening of the miniaturized hairs in between; compare this to the scalp immediately adjacent to the test area.

We performed approximately 3000 plucked grafts and these were placed at relatively low density over the entire thinning area. The goal is to not only get 3000 grafts of new hair, but also to thicken miniaturizing hairs in between the grafts. We will determine this in 12 months.

Thanks again for your interest. I will be presenting more results in a few months.

Regards

Dr Cooley
    1. Thank you for replying, Dr. Cooley. How soon after the conference in fall, 2011, can we (i.e., folk in this forum) expect to read what was shared?

2. If I am correct in understanding, then, this patient has now received 3,400 grafts, all from plucking — no F.U.E. or strip-harvesting. Is this correct?

3. Was ACell applied to this patient's donor area or recipient recipient area, or to both?

Again, thanks.

Inactive

Wow thanks Dr Cooley its nice to get a really good picture gallery for this.

Btw can you please say this patient a thank you from me because he offered himself with a shaved head. I Appreciate this because it really shows the results better.

Nice, but i have to say Dr Cooley, even if you would pluck some Grafts and only 30 to 40% will grow in the recipient site, its just amazing and wil obviously help people.

Please keep up this amazing work or yours, there is nothing more to say

This is fantastic stuff. Thanks Dr. Cooley for chiming in - after Dr. Rassman and Dr. Epstein reported little to no results, we were starting to get disenchanted.. Interesting that results were coming in at 3 months - I always understood that regrowth takes longer ie. 6 months for plucking..

Woah this is amazing, you can actually see an improvement!

And this is just by plucking hairs? - Why didnt anyone think of this 30 years ago?

Inactive

Uk hats easy to answer because back in those days it was all about sudokus and masturbation (sorry Dr Cooley this is an insider joke here) :-)

Btw where did Dr Bernstein report no results? Even Rassman reported that plucked hairs grow but in the same way like the test site without Acell, but nevertheless i dont blieve anything Rassmann says.

Thumbs up

Thank you so much Dr. Cooley! This gives us all hope. This forum is great!