+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

If the transplanted hairs grow I dont see why this would not be an unlitimted donor supply because plucked hairs will grow back. Why is it just "expanded"? Do you assume that not all plucked hairs will grow back?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LarryDavid View Post
    If the transplanted hairs grow I dont see why this would not be an unlitimted donor supply because plucked hairs will grow back. Why is it just "expanded"? Do you assume that not all plucked hairs will grow back?
    You can only pluck hair so many times before depleting the cells in the follicles. After the stem cells are depleted, hair won't regrow. In trichotillomania, people develop permanent bald spots after they've been plucking for years. Whether ACell treatment changes this is not known at this time.
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

But this really is a massive stride in the right direction, Dr Cooley you have proved that plucked hairs do grow as an FUE graft would.

I totally understand there are still a lot of issues that need to be addressed, I remember when the Woods technique was first out (yeah ive been waiting that long).... they had a host of corners to iron out before successful yields began to increase.

When you pluck a hair you're damaging the follicle, so the body can either go down the regenerative or scar route, I guess it's mere pot luck when it regenerates but that wont always be the case, so yeah... Acell may be the winning factor if it can keep that "regenerative" mode in place when a hair is plucked.

Inactive

I think the stem cells need only some regneration time to be "full" again. Even in those patients who pluck their hairs over years and years and years, the hair will grow back if they stop it. It will take a while but they regrow.

So with increasing the yield, you could pretty much say its "Regeneration time based infinite donor".

My guess is, that when you pluck hairs and the yield is different, that you plucked hairs which are not in Anagen Phase. And this part is essential. If you would plcuk all hairs in Anagen phase, well you would get almost 100 Recipient growth.

Also all the plucking time or in case of HST you just extract a very small amount of tissue. Just compare it with a fully extracted FUE Graft for example.

I think at this point, that three fully session equal to 4000 Grafts sessions are the top before you should give the donor a regeneration time. So in other words around 12.000 Grafts equal extractions and then a pause for some time, maybe two years or so.

Next tryout should be a hair line restoration with only plucked hairs and a high density.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cooley, MD View Post
    A few months ago, ACell came out with finer particles that can be injected so we have been injecting the donor areas prior to plucking but have no results to share yet. As I have said before, this was never thought of as a 'limitless supply' but rather an 'expanded supply' that has some unique advantages depending on the patient. Moreover, it shows us the very real possibility of in situ follicle regeneration; this is the future in my opinion.
    Thank you.

I understand repeatedly-plucked hairs might not re-grow indefinitely (I suppose patient-characteristics will go a long way in determining regeneration), but the supply, I do believe, would, if not quite limitlessly, be greatly expanded.

I know trichotillomaniacs sometimes can suffer from permanent hairloss, but, on the other hand, only so many hair follicles compose the eyebrows, which many women have plucked ~weekly, for decades, if not for a lifetime. If this trait of eyebrow hair carries over to the back of the scalp, I'm hopeful the donor supply for hair-restoration will be sufficient at least to recover a full head of hair for those not exactly at the Norwood-7 level; this, of course, assuming the transplanted hairs regrow consistently and reliably, and with proper characteristics and longevity, in recipient areas.

Another nice thing about plucking seems to be in the potential to transplant fine hairs without leaving scars — something even the cleanest F.U.E. procedures perhaps could not pull off. Now, if such delicate hairs actually would re-grow — and whether they even could be extracted with enough material intact at the base — I guess research would have to tell us.

Inactive

I think if done properly plucking hairs can also benefit a NW7 person.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    I think if done properly plucking hairs can also benefit a NW7 person.
    If you say this in response to my comment, I certainly do think if plucking works well for someone with more hair, it will work as well for someone with less. I simply don't know that the method — if it cannot produce a truly infinite supply of donor hairs — will be able to bring a Norwood 7 back to the appearance of someone with no balding, whatever, whereas it may be able to do this for, say, a Norwood 4.

What would be the cost per graft for this technique as compared to FUT and FUE?

So, is there conclusive evidence now that 1) Plucked hairs are replaced by new ones. 2) Plucked hairs can be used for transplantation with a good survival rate ? Also, if this is proven to be a viable procedure, does any one know when it's going to be available ?

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    So, is there conclusive evidence now that 1) Plucked hairs are replaced by new ones. 2) Plucked hairs can be used for transplantation with a good survival rate ? Also, if this is proven to be a viable procedure, does any one know when it's going to be available ?
    I'd like to know if the plucked hairs are actually full terminal hairs also, I read back in 2006 that plucked hairs can be transplanted but they were not full terminal hairs because although when a hair is plucked it maintains key components of the regeneration process, the real 'meat' of what you need to regenerate a full follicle remains in donor.