+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinking about Rogaine

Hello everyone, so I have been on propecia now for just about 8 months and nizoral for about 4 months. I did have a question about rogaine. Im working this summer in the middle of no where so i really do not see all of my friends all the time and was thinking about starting it. I know there is going to be a shed and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of their experiences with it. I really did not see that bad of a shed from propecia and people said it was just as horrible as rogaine. Also, i have heard people complain how rogaine just ruined their hair. It says it works best on the crown and my crown is thick. I need it for my diffused thinning and receding hairline. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Never experienced any massive shed on minoxidil. You might see more hairs in your brush or comb but nothing alarming. That takes about a month or so then everything's back to normal. That's my experience. Minox doesn't work for all as you know but won't hurt to try. You might be lucky. But I don't see how it can ruin someones hair. It is a headache to use because it is greasy and can cause irritation but that's not a terrible price to pay if it helps keep your hair.

I don't suppose you can use minox for the crown and get HT for the hairline?

I have used Minoxidil for over 14 years on and off. My advice would be to go for the foam (if you end up choosing any form of it). It is so much easier to apply. If you have diffuse thinning then it may help strengthen what you have left. Never experienced a noticeable shed personally.

I personally use Kirkland's minoxidil 5 % and it causes irritation and leaves residue and flaky scalp. Rogaine never did any of this to my scalp.

As far as results go, they gave the same exact results. No, they did not make my hair loss worse either.

Oh yeah and I use Kirkland's because I can not afford Rogaine. So if you can afford to stay on it, buy Rogaine.

thanks for the replies guys, how did rogaine turn out for everyone though? Did anyone see any new regrowth or thickness?

I saw a study somewhere that had them above baseline for 2 years before MPB took off again. It offset them by 2 years. Another study of the 5% stuff had them above baseline at 5 years. I'm not so sure. I've been slowly losing hair since 18. Went from a norwood 1 to 2 over about 6 years then from 24 to 25 it really kicked in and recently it's falling out everywhere.

I've been on Rogaine just over 3 months and well it's hard to judge because I've definitely lost more hair over the last 3 months so the question is, is it slowing down my hair loss or doing nothing? I'd say nothing so I'm thinking of throwing in the towel.