+ Reply to Thread

Default New HT with Future Procedure Shock Loss Concerns

Hi everyone...

New to the forum and to this process. I've researched a lot of different sources online and have definitely found this one to be the most helpful, non-biased and informative in specific areas. So in advance, thank you all.

Last Wed, the 15th of June, I had my first HT procedure. 1861 grafts FUT. Went incredibly smooth, virtually painless both physically and psychologically...and I ain't kidding! For those of you with 'searing pain, tearing flesh and hole-punching' visions in your mind, take comfort. It really isn't bad at all. Far worth the price of admission for what the outcome should be.

Today I had the sutures out and back on the road to normal.

I planned the surgery so I could have a couple of weeks underground for recovery. Highly recommended.

One of my biggest immediate concerns was the amount/severity of 'shock-loss'. I know it's part of the process and hits everyone differently but I wanted to be prepared. I'm basically a NW 3A so I was hoping to get by as seamlessly as possible from pre- to post-surgery recovery without it being known I've had the process done. I'm certain having some hair on top is basically the only way one can get away with that.

So, I noticed in my pre-suture removal shampoo that I lost a somewhat concerning amount of native hair. I knew this was to be expected and read so on a previous thread regarding Shock-Loss. I anticipated this by trying Toppik a week before I went in on my natural state hair to see if it could help me through the shock-loss phase. I initially thought stuff like Toppik was bogus but I have to say, it worked amazingly well. It gave me the confidence to go ahead with the procedure and know I had something to help conceal the dreaded shock-loss window. (Of course, I have yet to use it post-surgery but I can already tell it's going to help).

The theory goes that if you have native hair that is already being affected by MPB and is weaker, it is more susceptible to shock-loss from the trauma of the process. In most cases, that hair will return in a few months with the new grafts.

My question is, for those who have had two or three procedures, is the shock-loss less evident after the first procedure? In other words, will the new transplanted hair, being stronger and 'genetically immune' from MPB, withstand a second procedure in 6 moths to a year after the first?

I've heard that later procedures are usually less trouble than the first.

For you vets, any thoughts from your experience on this?

Thanks!

I've had more than 4 HTs and never experienced shock loss after the surgery. So, I can't really say anything. Transplanted hairs shouldn't be affected by another HT.

One thing you need to know about, those transplanted hairs aren't always immune to MPB and aren't always there for life like they tell us. In some cases -though supposedly rare- they do end up dying like the original ones. It could take a few years or even a year. I'm telling you this because it happened to me. I've heard of a few cases too. So, don't rush into another HT until you see what happens with your first HT. I know this sounds scary but it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    I've had more than 4 HTs and never experienced shock loss after the surgery. So, I can't really say anything. Transplanted hairs shouldn't be affected by another HT.

One thing you need to know about, those transplanted hairs aren't always immune to MPB and aren't always there for life like they tell us. In some cases -though supposedly rare- they do end up dying like the original ones. It could take a few years or even a year. I'm telling you this because it happened to me. I've heard of a few cases too. So, don't rush into another HT until you see what happens with your first HT. I know this sounds scary but it's real.
    Well, thanks Victim! Just what I wanted to hear!

No one knows for sure what's going to happen, but it's always good to hear from those who have gone through it.

Curly,

In my overall experience, transplanted hair does not shock as readily as native hair can/does. And yes, hair that is already debilitated from the effects of DHT is more at risk for shock.

For most, shockloss usually occurs approximately three weeks post-op. So you're not completely out of the woods quite yet, although I ruly hope yours will be minimal. Also, those individuals who have a fair amount of diffused thinning going on are more susceptible to shockloss.

BTW, you would not want to have another procedure as early as six months following the first, and especially if additional grafts are going into the same recipient area as the first. You do understand why?

Congrats on doing your homework and the great planning of your procedure. You covered every base including those post-op concerns.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Curly,

In my overall experience, transplanted hair does not shock as readily as native hair can/does. And yes, hair that is already debilitated from the effects of DHT is more at risk for shock.

For most, shockloss usually occurs approximately three weeks post-op. So you're not completely out of the woods quite yet, although I ruly hope yours will be minimal. Also, those individuals who have a fair amount of diffused thinning going on are more susceptible to shockloss.

BTW, you would not want to have another procedure as early as six months following the first, and especially if additional grafts are going into the same recipient area as the first. You do understand why?

Congrats on doing your homework and the great planning of your procedure. You covered every base including those post-op concerns.
    Thanks for the words, gillenator...yes, I was being hypothetical rather than planning another in six months. I do hope in six months I'll be so happy with the results that I'll be addicted!

I can say I'm very pleased that this type of superior HT was is an option at all and there are a good number of terrific doctors who have chosen to specialize in this field.

As a follow up, I'm now back from a week long road trip after my one-week suture removal after surgery.

The two weeks post-op went very well with no hitches. The recipient area is
    almost back to normal in regard to feeling...I'd think by week three it will be completely normal. The donor area is healing and less sore every day. I've been rubbing 100% pure/natural aloe on it (no alcohol, glycerin, etc). I think I'll start using Mederma when once it's fully healed. I highly recommend this for the shrinkage of scars.

On the not so good side, as predicted, I had a not-so-comfortable amount of shedding/shock-loss right away during week two. I have to say it's kind of unnerving if you still have hair in the donor area. It's almost like having two to three years of receding in an instant. Most of the transplanted hair also shed this past week.

Sucks, not happy, however, because of THIS site, I was prepared and am now using the Toppik I tested before the procedure. GOD BLESS TOPPIK!

Also because of this site/board, I am aware that not much is going to happen in the next three to four months so don't expect it. I'll just sit tight and wait for nature to take its course. So, I am doing that.

From my experience so far, I'd say to people thinking about doing an HT procedure: definitely explore the great wealth of knowledge on this site and smartly plan in advance for your recovery time. I honestly believe the less stress you put on your soul during recovery, the better your outcome can be.

Absolute awesome post Curly. And listen my friend, I am so glad to hear of your speedy recovery from the surgery. Yes, sometimes shockloss can happen as early as two weeks, but you knew it was coming and you knew the signs to look for.

That's what adequate research does. It prepares you for what's coming so that the patient can avoid freaking out and just patiently wait for the regrowth to happen.

Keep us posted on your progress Curly. We are looking forward to hearing about your transformation.

Best wishes to you!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin