+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New - Considering HT and timing

Hi Guys,

I've been losing hair for about 5 years. Mostly from the temples and the top. The back seemed to have started losing hair but then just stopped shedding and its still pretty thick. I tried minoxidil for like a year. There was absolutely no effect except my thinning wallet. So I decided I either accept baldness or get a HT. I'm not too afraid of going bald but if I can have my hair back who would honestly say no to that?

I will post pictures later of my head, I just don't have my camera with me. However my hair was pretty thick and dark so the camera doesn't give a best picture of the situation. It will likely look like I'm not losing hair on the top just the temples. But I'm definitely losing hair on the top and temples.

I guess my first questions will be:
    Who are the best doctors in the Toronto, Canada area? as I know none and would really want to go to the best.
    How do I know if HT is right for me?
    When should I go? Should I go soon and start slowly filling up my before I go noticeably bald? or should I go when I've lost more hair so I won't have the "shockloss" I read about on this forum?
    Is there a chance that hair won't grow after the HT?

Should I really be asking these questions here or the doctor?

Thanks again, I will post pictures soon.

Really appreciate the help!

Get a consult lined up with Dr Rahal - he wil best advise you
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Spex was kind enough to recommend Dr Rahal. Dr Rahal performs surgery in Ottawa but has a consultation office in Toronto that he visits frequently. He'll tell you honestly whether an HT is right for you or not at this time.

You don't mention Propecia. Rogaine might have been a bust for you but Finasteride could help.

You can ask doctors but also put your questions to the forum. It's what we're here for.

If you take photos, take them in good light so that they show us what your eyes are seeing. Good lighting conditions not only ensure that the photos aren't too dark, but due to the shorter exposure time they make it easier to turn out a photo that isn't blurry.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks, I will post a photo once I get my camera back.
    Meanwhile, I was wondering how people deal with a transplant? As I understand your head is pretty bloody for a while. I can't imagine I could take more than 3 weeks off work and no way I will be able to show myself to work with a bloody head day in day out, especially since I'm in a very client facing line of business.
    Does it really take that long to heal?

down time is a VERY common anxiety we HT patients have to process. However you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs ;-)

See some tips on my info topic here to help : http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230

Its not the healing but the having to be shaved down for surgery in most cases.

Everyones gut reaction it "NO WAY " however with appropriate coordination its possibly to get a ht and get away with it in the majority of cases especially if you can get yourself a 3-4 week downtime window.

Obviously it all depends on the individual
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It genreally only takes 7-10 to completely heal. Especailly with some of the new post wound healing solutions that are available. Have it on a Friday and take the next week off and return to work the following Monday.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

well, got the camera, got a haircut, and discovered that the problem is worse by now. Also, just saw another thread were the guy barely lost any hair and his doctor recommended 1600-2100 grafts to repair his hair ... which will prob mean ill need double than that and given 10 dollars a graft cost. definitely price me out

aaah wtf happened to the pictures i posted???

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    down time is a VERY common anxiety we HT patients have to process. However you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs ;-)

See some tips on my info topic here to help : http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230

Its not the healing but the having to be shaved down for surgery in most cases.

Everyones gut reaction it "NO WAY " however with appropriate coordination its possibly to get a ht and get away with it in the majority of cases especially if you can get yourself a 3-4 week downtime window.

Obviously it all depends on the individual
    honestly, i dont have a problem with a shaved head since my haircut is most of the time either shaved or near shaved anyway. also, not very nervous about letting the people i work with know "hey guys, going in for a hairtransplant, be back in 3 weeks". but the bloody head will definitely freak clients out who don't know i just undergone the procedure. and im concerned with that given the pictures of wayne rooneys transplant.... but but but, honestly the more i think about it the more i realize that there really isnt going to be much of a problem for me with the recovery phase.

oh and thanks alot btw! much appreciate the help!!!!