I'm Norwood 6 - is it foolish to go for HT if I may one day be Norwood 7?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prodigy
    • Nov 2010

I'm Norwood 6 - is it foolish to go for HT if I may one day be Norwood 7?

I've been having a very interesting discussion with the fantastic Gillenator and I'm having a predicament that i'd like to open up to discussion. I'm a Norwood 6 and I really want HT but there is a chance i'll go to Norwood 7 which will means big gaps appearing between the HT and the dropping sides.

I'm in my early 40s and its not by any means certain my sides will drop any more. Both my brothers are Norwood 6, one is 4 years older than me. My father is a Norwood 7 but he went to that stage when he was 22 but both my grandfathers had good head of hair before they passed on.

i've been on the Minoxidil / Azelaic acid mix for over 6 years and on the Finasteride for about 2 and although i've lost hair since i started, i think its slowed down.

After discussions with Gillenator I'm thinking of around 3000 grafts up top and saving another 3000 for a later date - perhaps if I shift from Norwood 6 to 7. I'd really love to hear from anyone who may have been in a similar position though and have attached a picture.

many thanks

P[IMG][/IMG]
  • prodigy
    • Nov 2010

I've met 3 of the worlds best surgeons, each one independently said i have a good donor area and good skin laxity.

Comment

• Dutch_Dude
      • Jul 2010

i seriously think you can get really good results with what you have...

Comment

• Winston
        • Mar 2009

Judging from your photos you look like the perfect candidate for a hair transplant. Since you are in your early forties I would say that your pattern is stable.

Comment

• RichardDawkins
          Inactive
          • Jan 2011

i think or assume that your head is small in mass so to speak. Therefore you got an advantage here. you can get a pretty good result. And honestly i wont say you are NW6 at all

Comment

• Dutch_Dude
            • Jul 2010

with the right doctor it may even be possible to get a full head of hair back, since your hair is very thick and your pattern is stable.

Comment

• tedwuji
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by prodigy
              I've been having a very interesting discussion with the fantastic Gillenator and I'm having a predicament that i'd like to open up to discussion. I'm a Norwood 6 and I really want HT but there is a chance i'll go to Norwood 7 which will means big gaps appearing between the HT and the dropping sides.

I'm in my early 40s and its not by any means certain my sides will drop any more. Both my brothers are Norwood 6, one is 4 years older than me. My father is a Norwood 7 but he went to that stage when he was 22 but both my grandfathers had good head of hair before they passed on.

i've been on the Minoxidil / Azelaic acid mix for over 6 years and on the Finasteride for about 2 and although i've lost hair since i started, i think its slowed down.

After discussions with Gillenator I'm thinking of around 3000 grafts up top and saving another 3000 for a later date - perhaps if I shift from Norwood 6 to 7. I'd really love to hear from anyone who may have been in a similar position though and have attached a picture.

many thanks

P[IMG][/IMG]
              People here are making semi-reasonable suggestions.

But for me (this is my own opinion, not professional advice) at a Norwood 6 contemplating a potential 7, I wouldnt even take an anti-angrogen pharmaceutical anymore.

I would just shave my head and go on. As a 40-year old man it would be age appropriate to be bald, which is worth noting.

I am 32 and 5-years stabilized with Finasteride at a Norwood 2.5 and if that were not the case id completely abandon ship instead of fighting an uphill battle.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this, and I believe they are entitled to it.

Comment

• gillenator
                • Dec 2008

Everyone is different regarding hair quality and family history. If an individual can work within their limitations and not set unrealistic goals or be sold pie in the sky, then who are we to say what they should or should not do.

I have seen a few guys who had outstanding donor characteristics like Prodigy and already in their 40s who were at NW6 and got an amazing transformation. Doubtful that Prodigy would progress to a full blown class7. But we never know for sure and that's part of the equation that must be prudently thought through beforehand.

But they are the exception and certainly not the rule and why each case must be evaluated on its own merits and not a pipe dream.
                "Gillenator"
                Independent Patient Advocate
                more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• tedwuji
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gillenator
                  Everyone is different regarding hair quality and family history. If an individual can work within their limitations and not set unrealistic goals or be sold pie in the sky, then who are we to say what they should or should not do.

I have seen a few guys who had outstanding donor characteristics like Prodigy and already in their 40s who were at NW6 and got an amazing transformation. Doubtful that Prodigy would progress to a full blown class7. But we never know for sure and that's part of the equation that must be prudently thought through beforehand.

But they are the exception and certainly not the rule and why each case must be evaluated on its own merits and not a pipe dream.
                  Amen.

Comment

• HTsoon
                    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by tedwuji
                    People here are making semi-reasonable suggestions.

But for me (this is my own opinion, not professional advice) at a Norwood 6 contemplating a potential 7, I wouldnt even take an anti-angrogen pharmaceutical anymore.

I would just shave my head and go on. As a 40-year old man it would be age appropriate to be bald, which is worth noting.

I am 32 and 5-years stabilized with Finasteride at a Norwood 2.5 and if that were not the case id completely abandon ship instead of fighting an uphill battle.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this, and I believe they are entitled to it.
                    I agree taking finasteride and or any 5AR inhibitor as a norwood 6 has higher risk with less reward, even if the chance of getting PFS is 0.2% would that be worth it to save a couple of miniaturized hairs on your bald head? absolutely not. However, I will say this everyones goals and expectations are different, your goal may be to have a teenage head of hair, whilst a norwood 6 simply wants to be less bald, also you mentioned shaving your head, if a norwood 6 were to get FUE and get a hairline done and SMP to the FUE scars and shave his head this would significantly improve his look then just shaving his head.

Comment

• Driver
                      • Nov 2015

Yes NW6 can totally have a good response, but you should concentrate on the front and top with a mature hairline. Do not worry about the back much as it will suck up grafts. Be realistic and you can look great.

Comment

• tedwuji
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by HTsoon
                        I agree taking finasteride and or any 5AR inhibitor as a norwood 6 has higher risk with less reward, even if the chance of getting PFS is 0.2% would that be worth it to save a couple of miniaturized hairs on your bald head? absolutely not. However, I will say this everyones goals and expectations are different, your goal may be to have a teenage head of hair, whilst a norwood 6 simply wants to be less bald, also you mentioned shaving your head, if a norwood 6 were to get FUE and get a hairline done and SMP to the FUE scars and shave his head this would significantly improve his look then just shaving his head.
                        Yeah depending on skin tone and hair color contrasts i suppose but Spencer doesn't recommend SMP because it bleeds especially when applied to scar tissue.

In addition it fades and changes color over time in some cases. Again, to each their own but myself personally i would be very weary to get any permanent tattoo ink on my head
                        Especially into scar tissue, as i said.

Not sure how i feel about norwood 6 headed to 7 getting FUE over FUT, as well.

Comment

• tedwuji
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Driver
                          Yes NW6 can totally have a good response, but you should concentrate on the front and top with a mature hairline. Do not worry about the back much as it will suck up grafts. Be realistic and you can look great.
                          This choice in treatment path would be reasonable assuming you are comfortable with the bald spot in the vertex with no option to buzz.

The intact hairline with isolated crown loss does occur in nature but is less common as the hairline is typically first to go, as depicted in the Norwood medical diagram.

Comment

• tedwuji
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
                            Even a NW6 can get a transplant it is just the expectations that matter. Your discussion with the transplant doctor should be focused on long term outcomes and plans.
                            I agree!

Comment

• HTsoon
                              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by tedwuji
                              Yeah depending on skin tone and hair color contrasts i suppose but Spencer doesn't recommend SMP because it bleeds especially when applied to scar tissue.

In addition it fades and changes color over time in some cases. Again, to each their own but myself personally i would be very weary to get any permanent tattoo ink on my head
                              Especially into scar tissue, as i said.

Not sure how i feel about norwood 6 headed to 7 getting FUE over FUT, as well.
                              I didn't mean permanent smp I meant trico pigmentation that fades, also I would never recommend treating Norwood 6/7 for FUT, the chances are you're going to need a huge strip, if your skin is not elastic your scar will stretch causing a bad scar, additionally, if the lateral humps drop and you become full blown Norwood 7 camouflaging the scar is going to be extremely difficult, it's much easier to camouflage FUE scars than a bad FUT scar, of course combining both procedures maximizes the donor capacity, I just don't like the fact that the scar might stretch and you may one day have to shave your head.

Comment

Working...