+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@RichardDawkins Maybe this seems somewhat odd to you, but at 22 years old I find myself to be fairly intelligent, aware, and perfectly capable of making my own decisions and being content with them. No one is claiming that Acell+PRP is a magic pill.. and certainly not me. I'm well aware of the scarring issues as well as the fact that when I'm fully healed, I may not even know the scar is there. That's what I'm hoping for and that's what anecdotal evidence suggests, but, regardless, I'm not concerned about it at all. I would tell you why, but I'd like to try and keep my posts shorter. It would be wise of you to draw back and think about whether what you post on these forums is rational or logical.

@Wilymon

1) Why did Hitzig use different concentrations of acell? Why not just use a strong concentration for the entire scalp? Would that have been too expensive?

Hitzig explained to me that if he used the higher concentration of acell (not just acell, but also PRP) that hairs would duplicate out of the same follicular unit and all the single hairs that were placed in the hairline would instead become doubles or triples and would make the result look unnatural. It was really only a concern particularly in the frontal hairline. He also said that in my case it probably wouldn't matter as much since I have very fine hair, but it was a precaution taken nonetheless.

2) Was this fue or fut?

3) How many grafts was your session and to which parts were they transplanted?
    It was an FUT. I'm not really a big fan of FUE, though it does have its merits and has become a more refined practice. I had a little over 2600 grafts placed, but I couldn't tell you the exact number. I would say I'm probably an early stage Norwood 3 vertex, so I had probably 50-60% of the grafts placed to reconstruct the hairline and the rest were placed in the crown. The whole procedure took around 3 hours I believe.

4) How long ago was the session? How's your recovery going?
    It was only a little over 3 weeks ago- the 27th of May. The recovery has gone very well so far. After about 7-8 days, most of the scabs from the recipient sites came off and right now there is very little of the scab left from the sutured donor area. When I had the sutures removed about 2 weeks ago on the 7th, my doctor commented on how well it was healing. I can honestly say that, as of right now, I really don't feel much different than before the procedure. The typical numbness above the suture line is nearly gone, which has been somewhat of a shock to me. Based on what I've read and heard from others, the numbness usually lasts for 2-3 months and occasionally longer. Most of the hairs that were transplanted still remain, though I suspect that when the follicles are ready to cycle, rather than grow, those hairs will be pushed out by emerging hairs (even though it occasionally happens for some).

The only thing I wasn't happy about was the shock loss which started 4 days post-op (who likes seeing large amounts of hair come out, though?). The shedding lasted 2-3 days and everything went back to normal. Most of the hairs shed were short, miniaturized hair, but I was disappointed to have to see hair fall out. However, in just the last week or so, my hair has started to thicken and the effects from the shock loss are no longer noticeable to me. While I would love to attribute that to the Acell+PRP, I will reserve saying so definitively, even though it's really the only variable that has changed for me (I haven't started any new treatment and I've been on fin for awhile).

5) Are from NYC or did u travel there?
    I don't live there. I flew in to LGA and stayed in Manhattan for a long weekend. On the day of the procedure I took a train out of Penn Station to Garden City where the facility is located. It was a great experience overall and I managed to enjoy myself before, during, and after the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by chemhead View Post
    Hitzig explained to me that if he used the higher concentration of acell (not just acell, but also PRP) that hairs would duplicate out of the same follicular unit and all the single hairs that were placed in the hairline would instead become doubles or triples and would make the result look unnatural. It was really only a concern particularly in the frontal hairline. He also said that in my case it probably wouldn't matter as much since I have very fine hair, but it was a precaution taken nonetheless.
    That's a new claim. I'm assuming it's anecdotal? Did you take before-pics? You should start a photo log on this or one of the other hair sites.

Good luck with your transplant man. Glad to see that someone who had it done was willing to post and talk about it finally.

I'm in a similar situation as you, late 20s, fine hair, etc. I find it very interesting that given your age, they were willing to transplant in your crown. Was Dr. Hitzig hesitant about that at all, or does he believe Acell allows you to transplant more thoroughly at an early age?