+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How are you progressing ?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Hope you don't mind me asking but why did you have work done on the top and leave the front ( the part that is suppose to frame your face ) and the back ( the crown ) as is ?

I read the link but I could not find the reson why

It would seem to me, when all is said and done , will you not have a bald spot at the front and crown , with a patch of hair in the middle ?
    Hi Dave,

I gave a short explanation for this in a previous thread, but here is the whole story.
    When I went to the Bosley consultation, the guy who was there to answer my questions, asked me what areas of my head I would like to take care of. I said, "All of it." "Back, Top, and Front."
    He said. "Ok, that shouldn't be a problem. Let's look at our chart to see how many grafts you'll be needing."
    Bosley lead me to believe that it would be no problem at all to have enough grafts moved from the back of my head, to the balding areas on the back, top, and front. He simply showed me their pricing chart and said I would need about 2,000 grafts to cover all my bald areas. Then he showed me the price.

However, when I went to see Dr. Fisher, he told me in less than one minute of him walking into the room that he would not be able to get enough grafts from my donor area to cover all my bald areas. He examined my head and told me that my hair was not dense enough to get enough grafts. He jokingly said if he took that much from the back, he'd have to use my butt to close up the gap!
    I never even told him I had been to Bosley, until I was ready to leave. So, when he had explained everything to me, and answered all my questions, I then told him what Bosley had told me.
    He said that they might have been able to get 1800 to 2000 grafts from me, but they would have had to take a very wide strip from the back, and also a strip from each side in order to get that many. He then explained that 2000 would not be anywhere near enough to do all of my balding areas. He said what many companies do is to place grafts all over the head, but they are placed so thin that no real true effect is ever achieved. He said if they started growing before anymore hair fell out, it might appear for a short time that some good had been done, but that it would never be thick enough to look natural. And then, when more hair did fall out, the grafts that were placed would be so far apart, the person would be no better off than before.
    As to why nothing in back or front.
    Back - He explained that I was going to continue to lose hair from the back of my head. And that if he did grafts in the area that is bald there now, and then in 2 or 3 years when my natural hair fell out, it would look very funny. Kinda like one of those Indians in the old West movies, where they were bald except for a ponytail growing out of one small circle on the back of their heads. He said he has told people this in the past, and they would go somewhere else and get a transplant anyway. Then they come back to him a few years later and say they should have listened, and have him to fix it.
    Front - He said he could get enough grafts to do the front, or the top, but not both. He asked me which I wanted to do. I told him I was more bothered by the shiny, bald top of my head, than the front.
    I will be going back to him in a year or so for a second procedure. At that time, we'll access my progress, and discuss my options, and what's best to do at that point.
    I understand why you ask. And no, this is not the best of situations. In a few months I'll have some hair on the top, but still be bald in back and in front. I'll just have to address that in a future procedure. I knew going into this that one hair transplant was not going to be enough to give me a full head of hair.
    Hope that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by HTinTN30 View Post
    How are you progressing ?
    Doing great!

Been on vacation up at Dale Hollow Lake since Friday night. Just got home and saw you post.

Went back today to get stitches removed. Was kinda dreading this, as I saw where a couple people said it was painful. Ha! Nothing to it. Took maybe 5 minutes. Did not hurt at all. Never felt any pain - No pinching, tugging, burning, nothing.

I will say this. Dr. Fisher and one of the nurses said that people who do not wash the donor area very well, daily, as instructed, usually experience the most pain. They said they could tell I had been washing very well, and that's why the stitches came out so easily.
    They said they think some people are afraid they are going to hurt something, or do some damage, and just don't wash the donor area at all.

All the scabs are gone on top of my head. They have been since Sat or Sun. Have hardly any redness either. The skin is just about the same color at the rest of my scalp. No itching either.

Tightness on back of head is much, much better. To be honest, I'd say in another week, I'll not even notice it. There is no pain now. Just a slight pull when I lower my chin more than usual, or turn my head far to the left or right.

Good Luck with yours. Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood271 View Post
    Doing great!

Been on vacation up at Dale Hollow Lake since Friday night. Just got home and saw you post.

Went back today to get stitches removed. Was kinda dreading this, as I saw where a couple people said it was painful. Ha! Nothing to it. Took maybe 5 minutes. Did not hurt at all. Never felt any pain - No pinching, tugging, burning, nothing.

I will say this. Dr. Fisher and one of the nurses said that people who do not wash the donor area very well, daily, as instructed, usually experience the most pain. They said they could tell I had been washing very well, and that's why the stitches came out so easily.
    They said they think some people are afraid they are going to hurt something, or do some damage, and just don't wash the donor area at all.

All the scabs are gone on top of my head. They have been since Sat or Sun. Have hardly any redness either. The skin is just about the same color at the rest of my scalp. No itching either.

Tightness on back of head is much, much better. To be honest, I'd say in another week, I'll not even notice it. There is no pain now. Just a slight pull when I lower my chin more than usual, or turn my head far to the left or right.

Good Luck with yours. Keep us updated.
    Sounds like your doing well too. I am feeling almost completely back to normal. Cannot even tell that I had anything done. I do still have slight soreness at my donor site, and I cant tell but it feels like I can still feel scabs back there. As far as my recipient areas..that has healed really well. All scabs are gone there and there's no discomfort at all. My scalp is slightly pink and shiny, and I still have my donor hairs hanging in there. I know that most if not all of these will shed in the next few weeks.

I do not have any tightness at all, but the donor site is still rather sore to the touch. I am also dreading the sutures being removed, but I am hoping that it will help alleviate some of the soreness. I am afraid I might have been one of those who were not as aggressive with washing the donor site. I am having a friend of mine that is a nurse remove my stitches either tomorrow or the next day since I am a few hours away from Nashville. Dr. Fisher agreed and stated they are really simple to remove..so I feel good about that.

I uploaded some pics that I took yesterday and posted them on my thread if you want to look

..Keep us updated....the waiting game begins.....

Quote Originally Posted by HTinTN30 View Post
    Sounds like your doing well too. I am feeling almost completely back to normal. Cannot even tell that I had anything done. I do still have slight soreness at my donor site, and I cant tell but it feels like I can still feel scabs back there. As far as my recipient areas..that has healed really well. All scabs are gone there and there's no discomfort at all. My scalp is slightly pink and shiny, and I still have my donor hairs hanging in there. I know that most if not all of these will shed in the next few weeks.

I do not have any tightness at all, but the donor site is still rather sore to the touch. I am also dreading the sutures being removed, but I am hoping that it will help alleviate some of the soreness. I am afraid I might have been one of those who were not as aggressive with washing the donor site. I am having a friend of mine that is a nurse remove my stitches either tomorrow or the next day since I am a few hours away from Nashville. Dr. Fisher agreed and stated they are really simple to remove..so I feel good about that.

I uploaded some pics that I took yesterday and posted them on my thread if you want to look

..Keep us updated....the waiting game begins.....
    Hi HTinTN30....

Sounds like things are going according to plan. Since I just went through this myself, I will recommend using 100% pure/natural aloe vera gel (no alcohol/glycerin, etc added) to the donor scar area. It REALLY helps the healing go quick and lessens the soreness and scabbing. You pretty much only can find this type of pure stuff at health food stores. I think the 'after tan' type aloe gels should be avoided as the chemicals might cause more irritation than you are looking for.

I've been applying about three times a day.

Also, when the initial healing is done, I recommend Mederma...it's a scar gel which is used to reduce the size, appearance and redness of scars. I had a minor surgical scar from a broken bone once and used this as a tip from my doc and it really helped minimize the scar. I'm just starting to use it on the donor scar area. It doesn't work over night but I'm in for the long haul anyhow.

Hang in there and good luck!

Hey fleetwood, how are you progressing now..