+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile More evidence that we're on the right track...

Hey, saw this on AOL today - I know it's talking about grey hair but it does mention how WNT is also involved in hair growth. I just feel like it emphasises the fact that the likes of Histogen are definately working on the right stuff. It's also great to know that other researchers are working on this.

Hopefully within the next decade people will no longer have to be bald or grey!

Scientists find a 'cure' for grey hair
    By Ceri Roberts, Jun 17, 2011

If you're fed up with dyeing your hair to hide those grey roots, we've got some good news.

Scientists have identified a protein called 'wnt' that's responsible for the production of colour in each of our strands of hair.

In a series of experiments they discovered that this protein is key to hair retaining its colour and it also stimulates hair growth and produces new hair follicles.

As a result, we could look forward to the development of drugs, lotions and shampoos that raise levels of wnt - and restore white or grey hair to its original colour.

And as the same protein is responsible for hair growth, boosting levels of wnt could also help to prevent the thinning that often occurs with age.

Writing in the journal Cell, the researchers from New York University's Lagone Medical Centre explain that the protein wnt kickstarts a chain of reactions that lead to stem cells in the scalp maturing and producing the pigment that gives hair its colour.

They have yet to discover whether it's a fault in this system that causes us to go grey.

Most Britons notice their first grey hair at around the age of 25.

It's thought that genetics determine if and when a person will go grey, but stress, smoking, alcohol, poor diet and even dyeing your hair blonde are all thought to speed up the process.

Ha. I noticed my first greys at about 17. I've got the disaster genes for hair.

Inactive

Rejuvenation anyone?

Awesome. I'm 23 and half grey on the sides.

Inactive

Half Grey? Hmmm maybe if you stop your masturbation, this will help to de-grey your hair

We knew for a long time that some proteins are involved in hair growth (as hair is made of protein). But so far I think we only know that a severe protein deficiency would cause hair loss (shedding, not MPB).

I doubt it's as easy as increasing the level of that protein in the body, we would probably have to trigger some mechanism that utilizes this protein rather than focus on that protein itself.
    Even if they can do that there's very little chance of that helping us with MPB, it might make our hair regain color and stronger/thicker but miniaturized hair will stay miniaturized. It won't reverse that.
    But still it would be nice to have stronger hair :-)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Boy View Post
    Hey, saw this on AOL today - I know it's talking about grey hair but it does mention how WNT is also involved in hair growth. I just feel like it emphasises the fact that the likes of Histogen are definately working on the right stuff. It's also great to know that other researchers are working on this.

Hopefully within the next decade people will no longer have to be bald or grey!

Scientists find a 'cure' for grey hair
    By Ceri Roberts, Jun 17, 2011

If you're fed up with dyeing your hair to hide those grey roots, we've got some good news.

Scientists have identified a protein called 'wnt' that's responsible for the production of colour in each of our strands of hair.

In a series of experiments they discovered that this protein is key to hair retaining its colour and it also stimulates hair growth and produces new hair follicles.

As a result, we could look forward to the development of drugs, lotions and shampoos that raise levels of wnt - and restore white or grey hair to its original colour.

And as the same protein is responsible for hair growth, boosting levels of wnt could also help to prevent the thinning that often occurs with age.

Writing in the journal Cell, the researchers from New York University's Lagone Medical Centre explain that the protein wnt kickstarts a chain of reactions that lead to stem cells in the scalp maturing and producing the pigment that gives hair its colour.

They have yet to discover whether it's a fault in this system that causes us to go grey.

Most Britons notice their first grey hair at around the age of 25.

It's thought that genetics determine if and when a person will go grey, but stress, smoking, alcohol, poor diet and even dyeing your hair blonde are all thought to speed up the process.
    The question is if there is any side effects if any gene is boosted up.

Quote Originally Posted by auglen View Post
    We knew for a long time that some proteins are involved in hair growth (as hair is made of protein). But so far I think we only know that a severe protein deficiency would cause hair loss (shedding, not MPB).

I doubt it's as easy as increasing the level of that protein in the body, we would probably have to trigger some mechanism that utilizes this protein rather than focus on that protein itself.
    Even if they can do that there's very little chance of that helping us with MPB, it might make our hair regain color and stronger/thicker but miniaturized hair will stay miniaturized. It won't reverse that.
    But still it would be nice to have stronger hair :-)
    There is a subtle difference (lol) between the proteins (genes) used by these researchers are the processed cheese (whey protein) you see meat-heads at the gym guzzling down.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    There is a subtle difference (lol) between the proteins (genes) used by these researchers are the processed cheese (whey protein) you see meat-heads at the gym guzzling down.
    I have never suggested that dietary protein plays any important role here. Just mentioned that severe deficiency could cause some shedding, although that is debatable too.

Quote Originally Posted by auglen View Post
    I have never suggested that dietary protein plays any important role here. Just mentioned that severe deficiency could cause some shedding, although that is debatable too.
    Oh right - I thought you had confused dietary protein with the wnt family - I agree dietary protein plays a huge role aswel in hair loss - but this is exciting news about the wnt treatment!

The best news [for us in particular] is that the researchers also acknowledged new hair growth with use of the proteins.