+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some insight

Ok, I am 17 years old. I was a little worried about having hair loss so I switched up my diet and lifestyle. Recently, I've been getting MASSIVE shed when I take a shower. It seems like damn near 80 strands by the end of shampooing and conditioning. I don't know if maybe this is just the "initial shed" people talk about from me changing my diet and lifestyle, or if something in my new diet and/or lifestyle is harmful to my hairs. Could any of the following be bad for your hairs?

Black Tea
    Soy products
    Chicken
    Fish
    (Quit eating red meats)
    Green Vegetables/vegetables in general
    Lots of fruits
    Nuts
    Biotin vitamins
    (stopped taking everyday multivitamin)
    lethargic/lazy lifestyle
    (Used to exercise alot about 6 to 7 months ago/ completely quit that but still remained active/ became pretty much lethargic/lazy)
    I also quit smoking and I drink occasionally but I am also trying to quit that.

Oh, and also rice and beans. Lots of rice.

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    Ok, I am 17 years old. I was a little worried about having hair loss so I switched up my diet and lifestyle. Recently, I've been getting MASSIVE shed when I take a shower. It seems like damn near 80 strands by the end of shampooing and conditioning. I don't know if maybe this is just the "initial shed" people talk about from me changing my diet and lifestyle, or if something in my new diet and/or lifestyle is harmful to my hairs. Could any of the following be bad for your hairs?

Black Tea
    Soy products
    Chicken
    Fish
    (Quit eating red meats)
    Green Vegetables/vegetables in general
    Lots of fruits
    Nuts
    Biotin vitamins
    (stopped taking everyday multivitamin)
    lethargic/lazy lifestyle
    (Used to exercise alot about 6 to 7 months ago/ completely quit that but still remained active/ became pretty much lethargic/lazy)
    I also quit smoking and I drink occasionally but I am also trying to quit that.
    NONE of the foods above is bad for your hair, but rather great for your hair.

We should normally shed between 20 to 50 (some 50 to 100) hairs per day--depending up on the growth stage your hairs are in.

However, if you feel overwhelmed or uncertain and something may be wrong, you should find a dermatologist to consult. While at it ask about taking finasteride.

Best of luck.

As far as I know there are no studies that would prove any relation between male pattern hairloss and diet.

Severe caloric restriction might trigger shedding.

Some people think that protein intake might affect the quality (perhaps thickness of hair), but that is only a popular belief based on the fact that hair is made out of protein, but there is no proof to that.
    I've also heard some people claiming that dairy might contain some hormones that could trigger DHT, but that is very very speculative.
    Some people also believe that certain other foods can effect (positively and negatively) your hormone levels, but there is no consensus which do what. Some people suggested soy reduces T levels (which MIGHT be beneficial), but then again some studies say it doesn't do that.

So as long as you eat something you should be fine, no need to consider above.
    If you believe diet might help then your best bet is to probably eat a diet that is considered healthy for the whole body (which is a very controversial topic too, so don't ask me what such a diet would be).

Please remember that the hairs you shed in the shower are hairs that have been shedding throughout the day, so say if one day you went out and it was windy then you'll likely see less in the shower, now if you stayed in for 2 days and didn't wash your hair you will see tons of them.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhairstyle002 View Post
    NONE of the foods above is bad for your hair, but rather great for your hair.

We should normally shed between 20 to 50 (some 50 to 100) hairs per day--depending up on the growth stage your hairs are in.

However, if you feel overwhelmed or uncertain and something may be wrong, you should find a dermatologist to consult. While at it ask about taking finasteride.

Best of luck.
    Thanks, I switched up my whole diet specifically including those foods because I was told they were good for hairs.