+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Gillenator:

I comb my hair the same way - front to back. Think Robert De Niro in GoodFellas. :-) My only issue here is that when I see pictures of myself, I get very self-conscious because I think I have a very large forehead and a frontal hairline that is too high. Do you experience the same self-consciousness? Is this just my longing for the days of my teenage years when I had a nice, low hairline?

TeeJay
    TeeJay,

Even though you may feel that you have a large forehead, it's a good thing that you now have a frame back to your face. Most people tend to first notice what is within any frame. It's really only when part of the frame is missing, meaning our hairline, that will cause eye drift. People probably don't notice your forehead the same way that you may, but if your hairline was in fact missing, they might tend to notice it more because of the missing frame thing.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by caresabouthairs View Post
    Teejay..

I hear you. I feel the same way. I guess being 26 years old, I still wish for the days of a lower hairline. I have had only one transplant of 1000 grafts about 3 years ago...which did help a great deal. When I see pictures of myself...I think...man...what the heck happened to me? I think that we are just hard on ourselves. My wife and others don't notice....I guess when it comes down to it, we are the ones constantly checking ourselves in the mirror...not them.

I plan on going in for another surgery in the next couple of months. I am going for another 1000 grafts to fill in my temple areas and add some density to my current frontal hair. I am nervous about going in again. My major concern is not so much about the new hair in front, but the soarness of the linear scar. Hair surgery is expensive to an average joe like me, but in the long run...I know I will be happier looking in the mirror every day...and it will be worth it.
    caresabouthairs,

Yes I think if we all had unending donor supplies, how nice it would be to have the lower, more juvenile, full hairline again! But the truth of the matter is that the older we get, the more inappropriate it would look. We really can't see the reason to this when we are younger, but as we get 40 something, you'll see what I mean.

Also, having gone through four seperate procedures myself, you may want to consider doing more than 1,000 grafts because chances are, you'll be going back for more again. I do recognize there are other factors that support why someone would want to do smaller sessions. This is for you and only you so only you can make that decision. Best wishes on your next procedure!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Gillenator.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice from a 4 time veteran. I agree with you, I probably should get 1500 to 2000 grafts...but the two doctors I've seen only recommend about 1000 grafts at most to thicken up what I have in my hairline. In reality, I'm also trying to save some donor hair for further down the line. I haven't had any further hair loss progression in eight years but that doesn't mean I won't. I plan on going on propecia. I have also started using rogaine as a precaution. My goal is to have a frontal hairline that I'm happy with. I think I could live with...(I say that now) having some thinning in the crown area...as long as I have a good frontal hairline view. As you said...it is the main frame of the face that people look at...

Good talking to you

caresabouthairs,

Good talking to you too. You are well informed and have done your homework so if you want to do the lower count confirmed by two docs than certainly do what you feel is in your best interest. And you're right about not knowing wjhat the future might hold for us guys with MPB. There's lots to be said about about taking a more conservative approach. Wise decision to start Propecia! I still find finasteride the most effective med for slowing down the progression of MPB. Best wishes to you man.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net