+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Normal shed?

Default Normal shed?

When I take a shower, I have noticed that I shed what I would consider A LOT of hairs. About 50-60 if I stayed in the shower long enough and kept running my fingers through my hairs. Is this normal or is something wrong?

I was going to start a new topic but then I saw this one.

I'm currently in the exact same situation as you. In these past days I've been losing 50-60 hairs during my hair wash.
    For me this is like the "it's the final countdown" music... I don't have much more hair left in my diffuse hair loss pattern

A normal person on average will have around 100,000 hairs and will shed 80-100 hairs a day. But for someone like me who has lost 60-75% of his hair on the crown... this is not a good number

Why do have these shed periods? Why do they occur? If he knew why then maybe they could be prevented.
    I know there are seasonal sheds during the autumn-winter period, the same happens with trees. But what about these random sheds we suffer every now and then?

I've been using Nizoral 3 times per week for 5 or 6 weeks now. I wonder if this could be the cause. But on the other hand I've had other shed periods in the past so that makes it an unjustified assumption.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Do either of you have a strong family history of genetic male pattern baldness? Have you tried Minoxidil or Finasteride? I doubt that Nizoral is causing hair loss.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Do either of you have a strong family history of genetic male pattern baldness? Have you tried Minoxidil or Finasteride? I doubt that Nizoral is causing hair loss.
    My brother and father were both balding but my moms brother and father were not as far as I know. I also have some cousins that are and are not balding, about half n half maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by lost.hair.lost.youth View Post
    I was going to start a new topic but then I saw this one.

I'm currently in the exact same situation as you. In these past days I've been losing 50-60 hairs during my hair wash.
    For me this is like the "it's the final countdown" music... I don't have much more hair left in my diffuse hair loss pattern :
    Look at the beightside atleast you, most likely, don't look bad with shorter hairs, you wouldnt believe how bad short hairs looks on me

Thank you for the interest Dr. Glenn Charles.

So even though it's unlikely for Nizoral to be causing the shed, it is still possible.
    And it would be also unlikely for this to be a good shed (ie, they will be replaced by stronger ones) since I've only been using nizoral for 6 weeks, correct?

The short answer is no.
    From my father side (who has 8 siblings -- it was a time of big families then ) the only persons with some hair problems are 2 cousins of me and that is because their fathers (who married my father's sisters) are bald, but they still have quite much more hair than I do.
    From my mother side (who has 5 siblings) only one cousin has hair problems and that is also because his father is bald (again, the bald uncle shares no gene with me).
    My mother doesn't have a full head of thick voluminous hair and she does suffer from lower density, but she has no bald spots whatsoever and is still in the normal range.
    My father has lots and lots of hair, and so did I in my teens years. I was shampoo commercial material back then.

I'm now 30 and I've been losing hair since I was 19 or 20.
    Curiously enough the person in this video here on the forum does show a very similar hair loss pattern as me, although I have no hairline recession whatsoever.

No I haven't tried those.
    One of the reasons was that for many years I lived with the "there is no cure and this is inevitable" attitude while I still had some considerable amounts of hair.
    In this last year I started reading more and joining forums, and end up reading the wonders and horror stories of finasteride. And also about these miracle treatments always in the 5-10 years horizon.

During these past weeks I have been considering the possible use of Dutasteride as a topical in order to minimize side effects.
    But even more recently I found out about Revivogen, which makes claim to be a topical anti-androgen with no side effects. This has been out for years and I wonder why it isn't talked more. Either it has no merit or it lacks support from big pharma companies.
    Dr. Charles, do you have an opinion regarding the use of topical dutasteride or Revivogen, or any other topical anti-androgen for that matter?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time.

@ Samiam
    Curiously enough I don't see any hairs on my pillow.
    I also use trimmed hair, I have to buzz it every 2 weeks.
    And it doesn't look that nice on me :|
    That depends on how much benevolence mother nature showed with the rest of one's face. I'm not good but it could be worse :|

Yes, those god damn mysterious sheds that no one seems to know why they happen all of a sudden and leave you looking thinner. Only if someone could figure out what triggers those damn sheds. This isn't gradual miniaturizing. These are healthy thick hairs that just decide to drop just like that.