+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to flesh out that post Richard Dawkins and get this thread stickied. Could edit it with info as we go, such as timelines or links to results of protocols. Would be nice to have a little summary of all the possible treatments on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to flesh out that post Richard Dawkins and get this thread stickied. Could edit it with info as we go, such as timelines or links to results of protocols. Would be nice to have a little summary of all the possible treatments on the horizon.
    That's why I made this thread in the first place, I don't get on here often and I figured it would be easier for people to come to one thread and see all the latest advancements and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam View Post
    That's why I made this thread in the first place, I don't get on here often and I figured it would be easier for people to come to one thread and see all the latest advancements and progress.
    Agreed. Let's get this stickied. Great idea to have in all in the one place. Would be nice to edit that post on the first page so we don't have to trawl through pages and pages for updates.

Inactive

ok hold on i copy mine from hair site, i started the same thing there

Here it is

I though we should at least gather all the (to us) known companies who are involved with the process of Hair Multiplication etc, just for information reasons and for newbies to look them up on a regulare basis.

ARI (Aderans Research)
    http://www.aderansresearch.com
    Method:
    " state-of-the-art cell engineering techniques. doctors will remove a small amount of tissue. Hair-forming cells will be extracted and allowed to multiply under controlled lab conditions (in vitro). After enough new cells have formed, they will be injected into the scalp."

Follica:
    http://www.follicabio.com
    Method:
    "Damage skin to induce hair neogenesis and enhance this effect with manipulating essential key signaling pathways.

Histogen:
    http://www.histogen.com
    Method:
    "culturing of essential gowth factors etc in an embryonic-like environment"

TrichoScience
    http://www.trichoscience.com
    Method:
    "rejuvenation of follicles" sold assetts

--------------------------------------------------------
    PRP solutions

PRP only
    Wont work on a large scale because its lacking essential cells and factors

PRP/Acell combination
    Will only work to a small extend because of the lack of essentiall cells and factors (slightly better then PRP only)

PRP/stemcell combination
    Will work better but the signaling pathways have to be included or otherwise this will be slightly better then PRP/Acell

PRP/stemcell/growth factor combination
    Could be a right step in a right direction. Only downside you have to hit on dormant follicles and minituarized ones to get them back cosmetically significant (This is not a 30 minutes procedure

----------------------------------------------------------
    Plucking Treatements

Plucking only
    Works but the effort is tremendous, not every plucked hair (not follicle) is useful for transplantation here. Easy math, for maybe 10 useful plucked hairs you have to pluck 50 or so

Plucking hairs dipped in Acell
    This can be beneficial to plucked hairs, if their stem cell enriched tissue is smaller then it has to be for the hair to be transplanted. Easy math; now you can gain maybe 15 to 20 hairs useful for transplantation out of those plucked 50.

Autocloning due plucking
    Can be working, but i think that those auto cloned hairs resulted only because of donor dominance of those plucked hairs, the plucked hair was maybe accidentally implanted in an area where you had a two hair follicle before and then it gave away their donor dominance. This is not consistent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgical routes

HST
    May work in theory but nobody is capable of working with this the way we want to. A follicle is not fully extracted, its more like losen up in your head (in vivo) where a significant part of the follicle is kept left in your donor area to regenerate. So far no fully restoration proved even this has been performed for 6 years or more now and Gho claims to have used it on over 1200 patients so far

FUE (minimal depth approach)
    Hair regeneration can sometimes occur during a FUE session, when minimal depth approaches are mistakenly done by the surgeon. Problem here, its not consistent and till today nobody really looked into it. There were cases from turkey where someone got around 30 regrowth of the donor area and couldnt explain it. My theories : minimal depth and the correct and good "damage" of the follicle

FUE/Acell
    Here we can say, that Acell only accelerates the healing and regneration process we witness under normal circumstances as well. Acell is more likely to be and device which improves the chances for regeneration in the donor area. Acell is aplied after FUE procedure. Downsides here, Acell is useless if you dont approach with minimal depth extraction, you have to left an amount of the follicle in the donor area or otherwise the only thing you see will be no depigmentation at best

--------------------------------------
    Feel free to add stuff

Thanks for the above listing, very informative

I personally wouldn't bother adding bimatoprost, it's far more expensive and has only shown to match the results of minoxidil, fair play if you havn't responded to minox yet but a better treatment is exactly that, one that can exceed the performance of current FDA approved treatments, bimatoprost has failed so far in this respect.
    I thought bimatoprost was shown to be much more effective than minoxidil in Hideo Uno's macaque studies, but that it was the low dosage currently approved for eyelash regrowth that yielded results on scalp hair that were only comparable to minoxidil. I was also under the impression that Allergan was testing much higher doses for scalp use in its clinical trials. At any rate though, I know bimatoprost would not be a cure. My hope was that it might prove to be a good "bridge" treatment while we wait for a more permanent solution like Histogen or Aderans.

Also, I've noticed on other forums that a lot of people seem to be confusing Dr. Bauman's informal trials with Latisse as an off-label treatment with the official clinical trials that are being undertaken by Allergan. My understanding is that Dr. Bauman has claimed that Latisse was only about as effective as minoxidil, but that Allergan has not released any of its results yet.

i have VERY high hopes for Aderans and (what was) trichoscience (and now is something else, i believe replicel?)

http://www.replicel.com/ May 9, 2011 - RepliCel Completes TrichoScience Acquisition
    http://www.replicel.com/our-science/clinical-trials/ It is projected that all patients will have had injections before the end of July 2011. An interim analysis of data from this trial is planned once all patients have completed 6 months of follow-up visits. Data from this analysis is expected to be available in Q1 2012.
    http://www.replicel.com/our-science/...-preplacement/ Method: like the name says, cell replication

I just don't understand how there is more confidence on Aderans than Histogen. Looking at Aderans reports all I see is talk talk.
    If you check Histogen page at least you have pics and numbers.
    But we're still a long way
    http://www.histogen.com/applications...cal_status.htm
    http://www.histogen.com/applications/hsc.htm - The next clinical trial of HSC is currently in planning stages, and is scheduled to begin in Singapore in early 2011, with plans for pan-Asian approval in 2014. Estimated U.S. market introduction of the injectable for hair regrowth in the treatment of male pattern baldness is 2015, with potential for earlier introduction in certain identified countries.

I've been suffering from hair loss for 10-11 years and I have 20%-30% of my hair on the crown. How am I supposed to wait more 3, 4 or 5 years?!!!
    There will be no hair left by then!

I was just thinking on this:
    what's the point of waiting for these "miracle" cures, if it's already possible to do FUE.
    In FUE, hair is extracted from the back and then injected in the bald area.
    With most of these new future treatments, they extract some cells, clone them, and then inject them.

Research is looking into connections between hair loss and other health issues. While there has been speculation about a connection between early-onset androgenetic alopecia and heart disease, a review of articles from 1954 to 1999 found no conclusive connection between baldness and coronary artery disease. The dermatologists who conducted the review suggested further study was needed. [32] Environmental factors are under review. A 2007 study indicated that smoking may be a factor associated with age-related hair loss among Asian men. The study controlled for age and family history, and found statistically significant positive associations between moderate or severe androgenetic alopecia and smoking status. [33] In May 2007, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania unveiled a new scientific breakthrough that may cure baldness with stem cells. A product could be on the market within three years. [34][35] The researchers discovered that the growth of new hair producing follicles could be stimulated in mice by damaging their skin. [36] In February 2008 researchers at the University of Bonn announced they have found the genetic basis of two distinct forms of inherited hair loss, opening a broad path to treatments for baldness. The fact that any receptor plays a specific role in hair growth was previously unknown to scientists and with this new knowledge a focus on finding more of these genes may be able to lead to therapies for very different types of hair loss. [37][38] An eight month study performed at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Science Malaysia showed daily supplements of a patented tocotrienol (vitamin E) complex may increase hair growth in people with male pattern baldness by 42 percent. [39] In May 2009, researchers in Japan identified a gene, SOX21, that appears to be responsible for hair loss in people. [40] In December 2010, scientists at the Berlin Technical University in Germany revealed they have grown the world's first artificial hair follicles from stem cells. Research leader Dr Roland Lauster said within five years millions of hair-loss sufferers could grow new hair from their own stem cells and have it implanted into their bald spots. He also announced that preparations for clinical trials were "already in motion". [41] In 2011, research showed that treatment with astressin-B caused the sudden growth of hair in mice bred for a propensity for baldness. Astressin-B ia a nonselective corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor antagonist. This may possibly be used in the future to aid in the regrowth of human hair.