+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holding on

Default Holding on

Would it ever be possible for a Norwood 1 to hold on to his hairs for a long time with Finasteride and Minoxidil?

If you're lucky enough, yeah. But to be realistic, just expect them to slow down your hair loss instead of completely halting it. But I'm not sure they do much for the front (hair line and temples).

Given what we know so far there is no way to determine that, but you definitely stand a chance and I think it's fair to say that chance is not very small. It's not very big either, but big enough to give it a try.

If you're willing to take the bet then it's definitely a reasonable one.

If you're not loosing too much (but loosing something) right now perhaps first try minoxidil for 3-4 months to see if it's doing anything, then you can add propecia. Just to make sure that's you're not wasting your effort with minoxidil.
    Propecia you cannot really test.

Quote Originally Posted by auglen View Post
    Given what we know so far there is no way to determine that, but you definitely stand a chance and I think it's fair to say that chance is not very small. It's not very big either, but big enough to give it a try.

If you're willing to take the bet then it's definitely a reasonable one.

If you're not loosing too much (but loosing something) right now perhaps first try minoxidil for 3-4 months to see if it's doing anything, then you can add propecia. Just to make sure that's you're not wasting your effort with minoxidil.
    Propecia you cannot really test.
    I'd start Finasteride first, minoxidil second.

Minoxidil does not stop hair loss. It's a growth stimulant. Finasteride first to slow down/strengthen your hair follicles, Minoxidil to thicken them/help regrowth.

Plus Finasteride can cause some regrowth too.

A Norwood 1 is technically a pre-hairloss state. Have you even lost any hair? It's not really advisable to start Finasteride unless the hairloss process has definitely begun.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    I'd start Finasteride first, minoxidil second.

Minoxidil does not stop hair loss. It's a growth stimulant. Finasteride first to slow down/strengthen your hair follicles, Minoxidil to thicken them/help regrowth.

Plus Finasteride can cause some regrowth too.
    The logic I had behind starting with Minoxidil first is that some people are non-respondents to minox. So if he first tries that for 3-4 months he can see if it does anything. If it doesn't he can pretty much dismiss it all together or save it for when things get worse.

If he first starts with Finasteride and begins minox after that he'll never be able to tell if minox is doing anything at all.

So that's why I'm saying if hair loss is not super bad and he's not desperate, can afford to wait for a while before starting Finasteride then it might be good to start of with minox to see if it should or shouldn't be a part of the treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    A Norwood 1 is technically a pre-hairloss state. Have you even lost any hair? It's not really advisable to start Finasteride unless the hairloss process has definitely begun.
    I would say I am a norwood 1, some days I think maybe I have a pretty straight hairline, but this might just be hope. I am only 17 years old though, and I hate the way I look with short hairs. I keep my hairs long at the bangs and at the crown and short on the sides and back, like the Beatles had. I just want to be able to keep this hairstyle for a long time.

I wear my hair a similar way. I have my hair long on the top of my head swept down from the rear of my crown. Combined with pushing hairs up from the side and down from the back I do an ok job of hiding my scalp. Although my hair looks weird and thin. Wind and rain reveal my scalp completely.

I'm getting a haircut in 20 mins (I only get them every couple of months these days) and I'm petrified. I get scared about haircuts these days in case I come out unable to hide my scalp.

The hairdresser I went to last time (who I'm returning to today) did an excellent job and I hope it looks the same as it did then. Although that was 3 months ago and I may have lost considerably more hair.

kanyon, did you explain to your hairdresser that you want your haircut to hide your hairloss as much as possible, or did you just get lucky with the cut? It might be something you find tough to talk about, but it's worth braving it and making sure they know how important this is to you.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

It's also worth mentioning that it would perhaps be a good idea to be cut by someone experienced with concealing hair loss.
    Sometimes even if you tell them to do that they might not be sure on how to do it and end up screwing things up.
    Many techniques in hairdressing are not as obvious as they seem, I have often times made various requests on how I want to have my hair cut and most of the time hairdressers do it wrong. So now I mostly explain the exact technique that I would like them to use. (that is general advice, not limited to hair loss).