+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

dear admin ,

Ban the above guy(SanyekSJ) , he is spamming our forum .... thank you

Hay guys

I was wondering if i could chip in here.. i have been on propecia for 5 years and the effects are seriously waning..

It has definetly kept my hair in the state it is today which is a relief but once again i find myself looking down the barrel (metaphorically)

I was wondering if you guys (alex) had any ideas of what i could do to alleviate the problem..

im using propecia in combination with minox and upped my intial propecia dose to 1.5 when i started seeing the right temple receeding (dnt really know if thats helped)

The progression has been quiet dramatic.. in one and a half years i've seen dramatic thinning.. im too scarred of going on dust and so too me, it seems that my only option is to face my fears and start shaving my head..

any info would really be appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Hay guys

I was wondering if i could chip in here.. i have been on propecia for 5 years and the effects are seriously waning..

It has definetly kept my hair in the state it is today which is a relief but once again i find myself looking down the barrel (metaphorically)

I was wondering if you guys (alex) had any ideas of what i could do to alleviate the problem..

im using propecia in combination with minox and upped my intial propecia dose to 1.5 when i started seeing the right temple receeding (dnt really know if thats helped)

The progression has been quiet dramatic.. in one and a half years i've seen dramatic thinning.. im too scarred of going on dust and so too me, it seems that my only option is to face my fears and start shaving my head..

any info would really be appreciated..
    Trust in god and Increase your dose mate , i mean take 2.5 mg per day and see how it works .... thank you .

The Dude: -

Hi, difficult one to call this. From what you say, the waning effect of the drug is evident in the hairline? When you say you are seeing a shed, is there anything that you have changed in your life that could contribute to this? Again, I would seek out a good IAHRS Doctor and go from there. Yes you could look at increasing your dosage, but let an expert assess this. At this point, you could try incorporating Minoxidil. I used to use the 5% liquid which was a real pain and seemed to interrupt my day. Plus, I had major irratation which could get quite bad. I'm happy to say that since I've now switched to the 5% foam (on the advice of Spex), all this has gone away. The foam is very easy to apply and actually feels good in that it could almost be seen as a styling tool (think of hair mousse!). So you have Minoxidil as one option. Secondly, you have laser therapy. Very controversial and I don't want to push this as it is not as well respected. However, I have a Hairmax Lasercomb and I genuinelly believe it has some benefit in regards to hair rentention. I don't suggest going out and buying out one immediately as you have to weigh up the pro's and con's of introducing any new therapy. Check out the list of IAHRS and go to their websites. If you look at the non surgical treatmens sections, there are many doctors who (cautiously) suggest using laser treatment (Bauman, Charles, Ziering, Reece and even Shapiro among others). Like I said, it's an option to consider. If you are going to introduce a new therapy, try and do so in a controlled manner so that you can assess the benefit of each on an individual basis.

All that aside, with regards to the hairline, you may have to accept a slow advancement of reccession, at least until a new therapy emerges (which will happen at some point in the forseeable) as generally it is the hardest area to treat non-surgically. I should note that Minoxidil alone kept me at a Norwood 3 (ish) for over ten years. Whilst I'm not as "plentiful" as I was then, I'm still a 3 now even before I started Propecia. Don't think that any deteoriation will mean an inevitable fast decline.

If you see a doctor, maybe they can discuss PRP with you. I'm unsure whether or not ACELL is a standalone treatment or simply an adjunct to surgery.

Bottom line, if you are noticing a little waning at the temples on Propecia alone after 5 years, I would'nt panic. Look into my suggestions and stay positive as there are options.

The Dude

Just re-read your post. Sorry, did'nt notice that you were using Minoxidil as well!.. Hopefully there is still some info of use in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    The Dude: -

Hi, difficult one to call this. From what you say, the waning effect of the drug is evident in the hairline? When you say you are seeing a shed, is there anything that you have changed in your life that could contribute to this? Again, I would seek out a good IAHRS Doctor and go from there. Yes you could look at increasing your dosage, but let an expert assess this. At this point, you could try incorporating Minoxidil. I used to use the 5% liquid which was a real pain and seemed to interrupt my day. Plus, I had major irratation which could get quite bad. I'm happy to say that since I've now switched to the 5% foam (on the advice of Spex), all this has gone away. The foam is very easy to apply and actually feels good in that it could almost be seen as a styling tool (think of hair mousse!). So you have Minoxidil as one option. Secondly, you have laser therapy. Very controversial and I don't want to push this as it is not as well respected. However, I have a Hairmax Lasercomb and I genuinelly believe it has some benefit in regards to hair rentention. I don't suggest going out and buying out one immediately as you have to weigh up the pro's and con's of introducing any new therapy. Check out the list of IAHRS and go to their websites. If you look at the non surgical treatmens sections, there are many doctors who (cautiously) suggest using laser treatment (Bauman, Charles, Ziering, Reece and even Shapiro among others). Like I said, it's an option to consider. If you are going to introduce a new therapy, try and do so in a controlled manner so that you can assess the benefit of each on an individual basis.

All that aside, with regards to the hairline, you may have to accept a slow advancement of reccession, at least until a new therapy emerges (which will happen at some point in the forseeable) as generally it is the hardest area to treat non-surgically. I should note that Minoxidil alone kept me at a Norwood 3 (ish) for over ten years. Whilst I'm not as "plentiful" as I was then, I'm still a 3 now even before I started Propecia. Don't think that any deteoriation will mean an inevitable fast decline.

If you see a doctor, maybe they can discuss PRP with you. I'm unsure whether or not ACELL is a standalone treatment or simply an adjunct to surgery.

Bottom line, if you are noticing a little waning at the temples on Propecia alone after 5 years, I would'nt panic. Look into my suggestions and stay positive as there are options.

8868alex,

mate , one upon a time i used MINOXIDIL ,but as you said it was irritating and created scalp inflammation and i am still suffering from scalp inflammation .

Can you please suggest me any medicine like MINOXIDIL which gives the good benefits in regrowth and reduces the scalp inflammation as well ....thanks in advance mate

I would give the Rogaine foam a go. It is very differant to the normal minoxidil. I have to say that any side effects I got with regards to discomfort have completely gone away. I think it is because the foam does'nt contain alcohol (which causes the discomfort). My advice would be to try this as an adjunct therapy and see how you get on first.

Good luck

Hay 8868alex thanks alot for the reply..

Yeah the thinning is evident in the hairline.. Where i live there's not much information on MPB or any doctors that specifically deal with it..

I use 9% minox twice a day.. i decided that it was causing rather than helping my hairloss so i started using it once a day.. this maybe the cause of the dramatic loss in the right temple but in all honesty i started losing ground there before i decided to use it once a day..

Since then ive started applying it three to four times a day since someone else on another site said this had dramatic effects for him.. been doing this for the past month or so..

Im not to keen on increasing the dosage of propecia for sides and cost reasons but i may have to.. but yeah there are therapy's on the horizon, i just think i may have lost too much ground by then..

I have another question.. do you think that propecia may contribute to ageing.. ive just started noticing that may face seems to carry more signs of ageing than my friends who are the same age but then again this could be for a number of reasons..

But thank for the info, its much appreciated

The Dude -

Hi

1. Don't take Minoxidil and more than twice per day (usually 2x 1ml). I appreciate that people may modify the directions on occasion (as have I in the past) but there is a greater chance of side effects, it is not proven more effective and will work out more expensive. I assume you are from the States? if not I would try and search out a good doctor anyway. You may have to dig hard in certain locations and do your research but it is better than taking advice from guys who self medicate on forums, even if they are genuine.

2. There is no evidence that Propecia would cause the aging effects that you mention. We all age at differant rates so don't compare yourself to your friends too much. If it helps, this is my regime:

1mg Finasteride daily (I use generic Finpecia from a reliable source)

2 x ml Rogaine Foam per day

Nizoral Shampoo (x 3 washes per week).

Hairmax Lasercomb (x3 15-20 applications per week).

I'm doing well with all of the above. Get some advice from a proper source, work out a treatment plan that works for you and stick to it. Only look to change it if you are unhappy with losng ground etc.

Hay 8868alex

You may be right, i think minox twice a day is enough.. i live in South Africa, so no such thing here..

i just re-surveyed by hair and i have to say its pretty bad, i think i may be losing ground week by week never mind month by month.. my right temple region has expanded dramatically wish my eyes were lying..

I have a family history of baldness so i think its quiet an aggressive form.. propecia and minox have given me a few more years but i think its inevitable coming to an end until some new treatment comes to the forefront.. (oh i also use nizoral every second day for the past 4 months.. cant say its done much though)

The f'd up thing is, when i start shaving my head my right temple loss is going to be dramatically evident as opposed to the lose im experiencing on other parts of my head.. its so dam depressing.. i wish MPB was a person that you could throw a couple of swings at (blame game).. haha..

shit, really sux but thanks again for the help