+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to switch from Proscar to Avodart or generic

Hello Spencer and Everyone

I have taken Proscar to control hairloss for 9 years now. Not sure how well it actually worked since I kept slowly thinning. I am Also on Dr Lee's ******* 15 twice a day.
    I have been slowly thinning since I was 19 and am now 34. I guess proscar slowed things down but in the last year and a half i have lost a lot more hair at a faster rate and my hairs have become much thinner. I still have complete coverage but everything is thinner now I seem to be headed downhill. I want to switch to a generic avodart while I still have coverage so I can try to reverse this. Can you recommend a good generic? Are the generics all the same and are they the same as real avodart? And then I know united pharmacy is used by a lot of guys. Are they legit? Any other pharmacy suggestions? Many thanks.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by pete2086 View Post
    Hello Spencer and Everyone

I have taken Proscar to control hairloss for 9 years now. Not sure how well it actually worked since I kept slowly thinning. I am Also on Dr Lee's ******* 15 twice a day.
    I have been slowly thinning since I was 19 and am now 34. I guess proscar slowed things down but in the last year and a half i have lost a lot more hair at a faster rate and my hairs have become much thinner. I still have complete coverage but everything is thinner now I seem to be headed downhill. I want to switch to a generic avodart while I still have coverage so I can try to reverse this. Can you recommend a good generic? Are the generics all the same and are they the same as real avodart? And then I know united pharmacy is used by a lot of guys. Are they legit? Any other pharmacy suggestions? Many thanks.
    Hey Pete,

Welcome to the forum! I can’t recommend a good generic for you, but I will suggest that you speak with your doctor to see if you can get a proper prescription for the drug. I know that there are many guys currently using avodart to treat their hair loss with varying success, so I’m not saying that it’s not worth a shot. I just think it’s best for you guys to be under a doctors supervision, especially when considering off-label use of a drug.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Hey thanks Spencer,
    I will do that. So do you know if the generics are the same as Avodart?
    They are just a lot cheaper.
    I am open to any other suggestions.
    Thanks so much for your time.

Arrow

Hey thanks Spencer,
    I will do that. So do you know if the generics are the same as Avodart?
    They are just a lot cheaper.
    I am open to any other suggestions.
    Thanks so much for your time.
    Hey Pete,

Since the first patent for Avodart (Dutasteride) currently expires in 2013 there are no generics being manufactured in the U.S.
    If there were legitimate generics being manufactured here in the U.S. I would say go for, but I wound never recommend purchasing generic drugs which are manufactured in India or the like. Their manufacturing and regulating standards are not the same as they are here in the U.S.

Here’s a good article from the Los Angeles Times on The Subject:

FDA issues warnings on Indian-made generic prescription drugs

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday put the Indian generic drug giant Ranbaxy on notice that it would block entry to the U.S. market of 25 generic prescription drugs widely used by American consumers. The FDA "warning letter" faulted Ranbaxy, the world's largest manufacturer of generic pharmaceuticals, for observing inadequate quality controls and manufacturing standards in the production of generic versions of drugs used to treat diabetes, high cholesterol, epilepsy and infections, among other conditions. [Read Full Article...]
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Hey thanks Spencer. So I guess I will go with the legit avodart.
    Thanks so much for all the guidance. I am now on Dr. Lee's ******* 15 with finasteride and soon will switch from proscar to avodart. Any other suggestions of what I could add to my mix? keep in mind I still have full coverage but it is becoming thinner all around.
    Thanks man.

Arrow

Hey thanks Spencer. So I guess I will go with the legit avodart.
    Thanks so much for all the guidance. I am now on Dr. Lee's ******* 15 with finasteride and soon will switch from proscar to avodart. Any other suggestions of what I could add to my mix? keep in mind I still have full coverage but it is becoming thinner all around.
    Thanks man.
    Hey Pete,
    No worries....It’s my pleasure to help when I can.
    Since you plan on making the switch to Avodart, it’s probably best just to keep things as they so that you can accurately asses how your respond to the new drug.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Spencer Kobren

cool man will do

i've thought a lot about avodart too. i am doing well now but if i start to really slip im definitely going to make the switch.

are the dutasteride generics on the south korean market mentioning that this drug is an androgentic hair loss treatment or is it just off-label there too ?

hey, i would to ask you whether you know or saw a dutasteride drug leaflet indicating the drug for male pattern baldness. thanks