+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rogaine foam in the morning and generic minoxidil at night

I've just recently started using rogaine foam.
    My question is (and I did a quick search first) has anyone tried using foam in the morning and generic minoxidil liquid at night? I thinking about trying this mainly to keep cost down. This way I don't have to be quite as careful when applying the foam in the mornings. I've found that applying directly to my scalp is the way to go but I'm sure that I'm using my daily amount in one application.
    Thanks guys

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You may want to consider just using the foam once a day only. It has a much better ability to stay on scalp for up to 24 hours.I think the twice a day is to sell more product and might be a over kill.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks for the reply Dr Glen. I thought I had seen some posts about good results using a once a day application but it seemed like most of them were using more than just the rogaine. I wouldn't mind paying the extra for the generic minoxidil though if you thought it would be worth it.

I want to switch to Rogaine so badly but I really can't afford it at the moment[if I buy it I want to buy enough for 12 months or nothing at all and I can't afford that]. At least for 8 months. That would be $100 for 8 months, $150 for 12 months. It's not that bad yeah, but for me it is, i'm a student and have no job.

I feel like Kirkland minoxidil 5% isn't doing much for me. Been on it for 6 months. It just gives me an itchy scalp, I think I have maintained and maybe thicken a bit because of Fin. But it's so cheap and supposedly "as effective" as Rogaine, how can you pass that up. But I miss Rogaine, I use to use it, but I could never stay on it consistently for more than 4 months, then I skip a month to get more money, and what's the point in that. I am gonna try my best to get back on it. I need at least 8 bottles.

BTW any one know the best way to keep Rogaine foamy? I read if you let it turn in to liquid, it will lose most of it's effectiveness. Is putting in the fridge a good idea?

I know shedding is good but do you think that using the foam once a day would lessen the shedding. I'm hearing all these horror stories of people with excessive shedding and nothing growing back.

It may reduce the shedding in some patients. If only used once per day the bottle would last twice and reduce the cost by 50% monthly.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

Con artist...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    You may want to consider just using the foam once a day only. It has a much better ability to stay on scalp for up to 24 hours.I think the twice a day is to sell more product and might be a over kill.
    I can't believe a "Doctor" just said this. So many clinical trials have shown the efficacy of minox 2 X a day... It's not overkill. 2 X a day was the original dose in the original clinical studies. How can u say it's overkill?

The newer foam versions of Minoxidil has a very different consistency and appears to adhere to the scalp even after washing. I prefer to stay on the conservative side on use the least amount of medication to get the desired effect. Please let me know if there is a study that compares identical twins with hair loss in which one twin used Minoxidil twice a day and got a better result than the brother who used it once a day.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

I only said it might be an over kill. Most likely once a day usage will be better for some patients while twice a day better for others.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile