+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride or Dutasteride Efficacy

My question to you guys is if MPB is indeed due to DHT and DHT binding to follicles, why do many people taking Alpha-5 Reductase medications such as Fin or Dut not respond to the medication? Could this be an indication that MPB could be due to different factors for different people experiencing what society coined as Male Pattern Baldness?

Recently on the hairsite forum another member posted about a guy who regrew hair to full density and the regrowth took place after he began taking an anti-inflammatory medication for his arthritis called sulfasalazine. Another guy experienced full regrowth on a drug called benoxaprofen, ANOTHER anti-inflammatory drug used for arthritis. Could it be that for many men experiencing MPB or thinning hair that it is based on inflammation or an autoimmune disorder that can be fixed by taking these medications? This is pure speculation and I don't want to start a war but rather would like to see what people think. Oh and before I close out this post I want to mention that posters on hairsite had mentioned that the people taking these meds had developed photosensitivity and maybe sunburn played a factor in their regrowth. I'd like to know what you guys think.

Scientists should just come out with the ultimate pill, in which they take every ingredient that has been known to stop hair/regrow hair. Of course test it first to see how safe it is.

Lol, that was a crazy comment I know.

But on a serious note, I guess this is why it's best to attack hair loss from every side, a multi faceted approach, not just with scientifically proven/FDA approved treatments.

It's like people thinking we're the only life in the universe, there has to be other life out there: There has to be other unknown chemicals/ingredients out there that will cause hair growth/stop hair loss maybe even better than fin/minoxidil.

I know, today is just not my day. First a big pill with everything on it, now aliens. I just woke up from a nap.

I think more doctors should be looking at other angles to look at hairloss as well, I feel like most physicians today would just write you a script for propecia and recommend minox and send you on your way.