+ Reply to Thread

Default Dermatologist Recommendations?

I tried to see where the appropriate thread was for such a request. I do not need a hair transplant surgeon, just a dermatologist that is an expert in hair loss and can work with me on monitoring my progress with propecia (need prescription) for a year. I hope he can have an objective way of measuring my progress so I can really appreciate it working. Or if it does not work for me, help get my refund from Merck (since they have a guarantee).

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    I tried to see where the appropriate thread was for such a request. I do not need a hair transplant surgeon, just a dermatologist that is an expert in hair loss and can work with me on monitoring my progress with propecia (need prescription) for a year. I hope he can have an objective way of measuring my progress so I can really appreciate it working. Or if it does not work for me, help get my refund from Merck (since they have a guarantee).
    Hey Scientist,

I’m assuming you’re in the LA area, based on your Regenix post. My recommendation to give Paul J. McAndrews, MD a call. He is a hair transplant surgeon, but he’s also a dermatologist specializing in hair loss. He’s a Clinical Instructor of Dermatology at USC School of Medicine, and of course he’s board certified in Dermatology. He’s a very caring physician and he can help you to accurately track your progress.

Here’s his contact info:

Paul J. McAndrews, MD
    435 N. Roxbury Dr., #204
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
    United States

Location 2
    50 Alessandro Pl.
    Suite #115
    Pasadena, CA 91105
    United States
    Ph. (877) HAIR-DOC
    Fax (626) 449-4558
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Hello Spencer,

Thank you so much for the recommendation (yes, I am in the LA area, sorry I left that out). I wish I knew about AHLA more than 5 years ago. It would have saved me tons of stress dealing with and researching snake oil salesman. Even the dermatologist I had been seeing was no expert, but just wrote the prescription for propecia. I asked him if he can help me get the refund in a year if this does not work, and he told me that there is no way he would know if it works because he does not have the tools and equipment to take comparison photos and track progress.

Dr. McAndrews sounds like what I have been searching for all along.

I still have a full head of hair, but its been thinning very slowly since my teen years. Now I am in my mid thirties. If I can just keep the hair I have--I'm good! No one knows about my thinning more than I do (which is usually the case with male pattern baldness).

THANK YOU for the recommendation and all the work you do in helping direct people to make better choices in their hair loss situation.

Scientist: Doctor McAndrews is the man! He performed my hair transplant and I am very lucky to report that my results have been very satisfying to me. He's an awesome doctor! He strongly recommends Propecia, and I was able to obtain mine from him.

TeeJay

well im kind of looking for a dermatologist myself actually. i think maybe i should see him. not so much for my hair... but ive noticed lately that im developing some fine lines around my eyes--not very noticeable yet at all, actually they are almost impossible to see unless you're a half inch from my eyes--and im wondering what kind of preemtive action i can take to stop them from growing larger. not thinking about surgery at all, but perhaps there is some kind of topical that can help stimulate collagen production that could help with the wrinkles. ive read that vitamin a products and vitamin c topically can encourage collagen production. so that may be something that may help. getting old sucks i just noticed a floater in my eye too.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by davesolazzo View Post
    well im kind of looking for a dermatologist myself actually. i think maybe i should see him. not so much for my hair... but ive noticed lately that im developing some fine lines around my eyes--not very noticeable yet at all, actually they are almost impossible to see unless you're a half inch from my eyes--and im wondering what kind of preemtive action i can take to stop them from growing larger. not thinking about surgery at all, but perhaps there is some kind of topical that can help stimulate collagen production that could help with the wrinkles. ive read that vitamin a products and vitamin c topically can encourage collagen production. so that may be something that may help. getting old sucks i just noticed a floater in my eye too.
    Dave,
    You’re 36 years old, you’re not old!! You have at least another 2 years before you’re considered middle aged.
    Enjoy the ride kid!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.