+ Reply to Thread

Cool got my propecia and minoxidil, now what?

Hello again and thanks for the great insight, went to the doc. and he said I was a good candidate for propecia and said I should also do minoxidil because he said has seen 300% better results for better hair growth/maintenance with the combo approach. What do you think? Or what have been others experience? I am not balding in the back, yet have a major receding hairline; I am concerned that neither of these drugs will work for my type of hair loss, thanks again!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jc22 View Post
    Hello again and thanks for the great insight, went to the doc. and he said I was a good candidate for propecia and said I should also do minoxidil because he said has seen 300% better results for better hair growth/maintenance with the combo approach. What do you think? Or what have been others experience? I am not balding in the back, yet have a major receding hairline; I am concerned that neither of these drugs will work for my type of hair loss, thanks again!
    Hey jc22,

As you know, I’m all for being pro-active, and doing your best to take charge of your situation, but I am not a fan of the kitchen sink approach when first starting treatment for hair loss.

While I know that many physicians believe that Propecia and Minoxidil work synergistically and might increase the overall efficacy of treatment, I have NEVER heard of the 300% better results statistic that your dermatologist quoted you.

I always advise my listeners and readers to begin treatment with Propecia on it’s own. How can you accurately gage your success on Propecia if you’re using another drug with it?

You can always add minoxidl into the mix at a later date, but I think it’s important to see how it goes before throwing everything into the mix.

You might want to read about both treatments on the AHLA website.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/men_.../treatment.asp

Hope this helps.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Hey jc22,

Congratulations on being directed into legitimate, FDA-approved treatments. I have been on Propecia only, for one year, and from what I can tell, it has helped meintain my hair, thickened it where it was thinning, and I have some very minor evidence of slight regworth. I plan to confirm all of this with my doctor.

My doctor STRONGLY recommended Propecia, and only mentioned Rogaine in passing. So, I get the sense he is not a fan of using both approaches simultaneously, and that if he had to choose one only, he would choose Propecia. I tend to agree with Spencer's advice above: try Propecia only for a year or so, assess your results, and then consider adding Rogaine into your regimen.

Also, from what I understand, Rogaine is meant to treat the crown area only, whereas Propecia, while originally FDA-approved for treatment to the crown area, has shown plenty of evidence of also helping maintain / thicken / stop hair loss in top/frontal areas of the scalp. So, if you use Propecia, you have an awesome chance of stopping your receding hairline, in addition to maintaining the hair you still have in the back. So why immediately use Rogaine?

Just some thoughts ... hopefully helpful!

TeeJay

thanks for the info, I have started the propecia and doing the rogain also. I got six months worth and it is very cheap, so why the hell not is that way i am looking at it, it wont hurt, right. Doctor said if you grow hair with rogain while taking propecia you can stop taking the rogain after a few months cause the hair iwill not fall out, ever, because you have propecia and it will not allow you to product DHT, so you keep everything if keeping up the propecia, we shall see. the whole rubbing shit on your head suck tho.

hey man, good luck with the stuff hope it works. I just started propecia almost three weeks ago, so I kinda in the same boat as you. I am not sure, but i have read a lot of places that once you start using rogain, you can never stop, even if you are using propecia with it, cause your hair becomes dependant on it, so if i were you i would just try the propecia and see what happens. But good luck with whatever you decide

Arrow

thanks for the info, I have started the propecia and doing the rogain also. I got six months worth and it is very cheap, so why the hell not is that way i am looking at it, it wont hurt, right. Doctor said if you grow hair with rogain while taking propecia you can stop taking the rogain after a few months cause the hair iwill not fall out, ever, because you have propecia and it will not allow you to product DHT, so you keep everything if keeping up the propecia, we shall see. the whole rubbing shit on your head suck tho.
    Well, I strongly disagree with your dermatologist, but the choice is yours.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck!
    Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

I've been sold on the combination of Fin and Minox since shortly after Rogaine foam came out. Prior to this, I didn't think much of Rogaine. One day several years back a patient came back for a 1 yr follow up appt. after receiving 1500 to his hairline and diffused thinning to his frontal 1/3. His results were phenomenal. I wish we could attribute it all to his ht surgery with us but there was no way. Since this patient was relatively young, Dr. Shapiro stayed on the conservative side to reserve donor for future use. This patient had no sign of surgery or hairloss whatsoever. We get patients who may have varied ht meds regimen and time and time again the combination of the two seems to produce more positive results than when used alone.

Maurice Collins, MD in Dublin did an extensive study (independent of any drug companies) on the effect if Propeca and Rogaine Foam. His did a thorough study - it's likely that as a result of his studies many doctors in and out of HT industry have been able to see just how well the combination works. The study found the two meds can work to at least slow the progression of hairloss, or maintain native hairs and even regrow hairs.
    Last edited by Janna; 02-09-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Hi, I'm the Head Tech and Surgical Manager for Shapiro Medical Group. janna@shapiromedical.com

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Janna View Post
    I've been sold on the combination of Fin and Minox since shortly after Rogaine foam came out. Prior to this, I didn't think much of Rogaine. One day several years back a patient came back for a 1 yr follow up appt. after receiving 1500 to his hairline and diffused thinning to his frontal 1/3. His results were phenomenal. I wish we could attribute it all to his ht surgery with us but there was no way. Since this patient was relatively young, Dr. Shapiro stayed on the conservative side to reserve donor for future use. This patient had no sign of surgery or hairloss whatsoever. We get patients who may have varied ht meds regimen and time and time again the combination of the two seems to produce more positive results than when used alone.

Maurice Collins, MD in Dublin did an extensive study (independent of any drug companies) on the effect if Propeca and Rogaine Foam. His did a thorough study - it's likely that as a result of his studies many doctors in and out of HT industry have been able to see just how well the combination works. The study found the two meds can work to at least slow the progression of hairloss, or maintain native hairs and even regrow hairs.
    Thanks for your input Janna. It’s always good to hear from professionals who are on the front lines of hair loss and the hair loss industry. Your participation helps a lot of people.
    Spencer Kobren

Default minox. sucks, I wish I never started it. one month in

so i have been doing the minox. and propecia combo for one month and I believe that the minox is making my hair fall out. I only had a receding hairline and now its seems my hairline and top area are even worse. this sucks, im have now stopped the minox and keeped the propecia. Will my hair come/grow back? This last month really sucked, help

Arrow

so i have been doing the minox. and propecia combo for one month and I believe that the minox is making my hair fall out. I only had a receding hairline and now its seems my hairline and top area are even worse. this sucks, im have now stopped the minox and keeped the propecia. Will my hair come/grow back? This last month really sucked, help
    Hey Jc22,

You should recover from the Rogaine shed within a few months. Just continue with the Propecia. I've been doing this for a a long time and I’ve have NEVER been a fan of the kitchen sink approach. Again, you should be fine in a few months.
    Spencer Kobren