+ Reply to Thread

Question 23 year old, troubled by hair loss...would be very grateful for some advice

Hi guys,

So I'm a 23 year old male who started receding at around age 19. At the time I was pretty stressed as I knew where it would lead due to having a balding father before he passed. Either way I dealt with it and went from hairstyle to hairstyle and previously fooled people. I was a model for a couple of years when I was younger and could pull off the funky styles and got compliments for it. However, this year it accelerated, it's now at the point where it looks unsightly and I really can't shave my head as, unfortunately, my facial shape and head shape just does not suit it and I have a large zig-zag shaped scar on my head due to having my head clasped in a dogs mouth when I was a baby (he was put down of course)

I've naturally got thick hair (where it's not thinning at front) and have tried several different non-surgical solutions but unfortunately the damage is done. Where I was previously getting a lot of attention from girls and happy living the single life and doing well in my job getting promoted every few months, this has now ground to a halt, despite my best efforts.

I've decided on getting FUE hair implants in a few years time as I feel it could boost my confidence and have decided I want to dedicate my life to the less fortunate as I've now felt what it's like to be treated differently and would like to help other people feel better about themselves. I just have a few questions.

1. If I were to save about £6000, would this be adequate to get my hair to a point where it's still receded, but not unsightly and done well? (not looking for dolls hair here)

2. I'm told there are only a handful of good surgeons and I believe these are based in various countries abroad (USA, Amsterdam etc)

3. Once you are fully recovered from hair implants, can you still style it in a way that isn't straight up?

I know it might be construed as vain, but despite my best efforts it is effecting things in my life. Again, trust me when I say shaving my head is not an option.

I would appreciate people's thoughts on this. I know I'm only young and further hair loss could occur, but I am prepared to get follow up appointments if needed and my expectations are not massive, I know it would be silly to think I could get my hair from 18 y/o back.

Thanks to anyone who responds

Sincerely

Hi, it's impossible to say whether £6000 would be enough without knowing how many grafts you would need at the time when you go ahead with the procedure. You describe what you want but we need to see where you're starting from.

People style their hair in all sorts of ways after having a hair transplant.

Have you tried using Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) at some time?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thankyou for responding.

From what I've gathered through researching it I believe I would need around 2000 grafts by the time I went. I have taken both minoxidil and Propecia and that seems to have stopped further recession. I will upload photos to be sure, as it is only the front that has receded and the rest of the hair is still very thick, I have decided to wait for 2 years to see what happens. As I have said I have no problem getting further treatments if required. I know that hair loss doesn't always follow a pattern but my fathers hair loss only occurred at the temples and did not get a bald spot on the top of his head at any point until he died at aged 47 (according to my mum). Regardless, I would like to try and sort it sooner rather than later whilst I still have plenty of donor hair and I am young.

I will upload photos soon

Regards

you sound like just me. Hair is so trivial yet so vital for appearance.

Exactly. It does frame the face and unfortunately people do treat you differently despite it being something you can't help. It really has effected a lot in my life so far, that's why I'm looking into implants. It seems to me though there's plenty of people stating who the bad doctors are and very little help on the internet about good doctors. In a funny way though once I've sorted it I think I'll be a better person as it has made me focus on getting the most out of everything else in life. It's easy to be skeptical about implants though, that's why I'm not rushing straight into it. It's all about research!

Exactly. It does frame the face and unfortunately people do treat you differently despite it being something you can't help. It really has effected a lot in my life so far, that's why I'm looking into implants. It seems to me though there's plenty of people stating who the bad doctors are and very little help on the internet about good doctors. In a funny way though once I've sorted it I think I'll be a better person as it has made me focus on sorting other things out.
    It's easy to be skeptical about implants though, that's why I'm not rushing straight into it. It's all about research!

It's great that this website exists though, I feel more positive about it as it's clear that other people are effected by it and I'm not being neurotic.