+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy A little depressed about my hair transplant prospects

Hi everyone,
    I don't mean to be a downer, but now that I have done my research about hair transplants, thanks to The American Hair Loss Association, and this website, I guess I am little down because I do not think that I could realistically achieve the results that I was told I could get when I first signed up with Medical Hair Restoration. I know how lucky I am that my mother did some research and found this site for me. That’s why I canceled my surgery, but it’s a little depressing when you learn about the limitations of a hair transplant that I will probably never had a full head of hair again.

I think the results that I see posted in the IAHRS area are fantastic, but I guess I’m worried that I will not be satisfied with anything less that a full head of hair. I now I’m being a wimp, I just need to get my frustrations out

Any advice?

Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by HelpROGER View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I don't mean to be a downer, but now that I have done my research about hair transplants, thanks to The American Hair Loss Association, and this website, I guess I am little down because I do not think that I could realistically achieve the results that I was told I could get when I first signed up with Medical Hair Restoration. I know how lucky I am that my mother did some research and found this site for me. That’s why I canceled my surgery, but it’s a little depressing when you learn about the limitations of a hair transplant that I will probably never had a full head of hair again.

I think the results that I see posted in the IAHRS area are fantastic, but I guess I’m worried that I will not be satisfied with anything less that a full head of hair. I now I’m being a wimp, I just need to get my frustrations out

Any advice?

Thanks for listening!
    Hey HelpRoger,

Don’t worry about “being a downer”, all of us here understand the plethora of emotions associated with hair loss....depression is big one
    Like you said, you are extremely lucky to have the opportunity to empower yourself with legitimate and objective information about the hair transplant process, and the hair transplant industry. Understanding the entire scope and possible pitfalls of this surgical procedure is vital if you are to make a truly informed decision on whether or not surgical hair restoration is right for you.

I say this all the time, but I think it needs to be repeated, hair transplantation is not a one size fits all procedure, and in my opinion this is exactly how it is marketed by the large chain hair transplant clinics. Undergoing a hair transplant procedure is not like a trip to the dentist...It is cosmetic surgery and as with all cosmetic surgery potential risks , complications and the potential for disappointing outcomes are possible.

With this said, I firmly believe that if you are the right candidate and have realistic expectations with a full understanding of any possible limitations that your particular hair loss situation might pose, hair transplantation can be life changing. It takes very little hair, in my opinion, to make a dramatic change in a person's appearance.

I think this is a good example of what I mean. Here’s a link to IAHRS member Robert Bernstein MD on the Oprah show. Take a look at how a 2500 graft hair transplant procedure can dramatically change the appearance of a person. This patient does not have a “full head of hair”, but what he does have is a much more attractive overall appearance, thanks to hair transplantation.

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/featured...ert-bernstein/

As you’ve learned, hair transplantation does have its limitations, but if you can be satisfied with the illusion of full head of hair or a much fuller looking head of hair, then you might just be a candidate. However, if it’s all or nothing, you might want to look into a good hair system.

Hope this helps.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hi Roger,

As always, Spencer is right on point. The only thing I want to add is that NOT doing a hair transplant is a GREAT option, and one you need to keep in mind.

One of the sleaziest ways a business can produce repeat clientele is to over-promise and under-deliver. Because we as balding men want desperately to hear "Your going to look younger" or "Your going to have your 18 year old head of hair back" we often ignore the warning signs of an impending bad decision.

This "locks in" many patients who must continually do session after session in order to "stay ahead" of their baldness--which finds many financially unable to continue, or many simply run out of donor.

For many who have never pulled the trigger it is easy to sit back and say, "Well, why did you go back to the same doctor?" which for many various reasons(more promises, trust, comfortability, convenience, etc...) is just one of the oddities of this industry.

However, TAKE HEART!!! You have avoided making a mistake and have chosen to become more educated.....by doing so, you have greatly increased your chances of making a well-informed, well-reasoned, and unemotional(as much as possible) decision regarding treatment options.

If you have not done so already, I encourage you to post your pics, age, and family history, so the members of this board can offer some helpful advice as how to approach your situation.

Waiting is never a bad option!!

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

HelpROGER:

Congratulations in cancelling your surgery with Medical Hair Restoration. I wish I did the same thing back in the day when I had my 1st hair transplant with Bosley. Once you take th eleap into surgery, there's no turning back. And while it can be life-changing and amazing if you find the right surgeon, as I did for my 2nd transplant with Doctor McAndrews of the IAHRS, it certainly isn't the glamour and glitz that the large clinics persistently lead us to believe.

I really like the advice that Spencer and theBSpot have provided here, so, I can only add a few, hopefully fruitful, words! One of the things that I learned in my journey is that you need to lose 50% of your hair (that's alot!) before it becomes noticeable to the naked eye. What that means in the hair transplant world is that you only need to transplant 50% hair density into a given balding area in order to create the cosmetic illusion of a full head of hair. This fact is the balding man's best friend! It gives us and our doctors the opportunity to intelligently leverage our donor hair to create the greatest possible impact to our appearance. I had a procedure of 1600 grafts (relatively small procedure), but it has made a strong impact on my appearance, consistent with Spencer's comments about how a little bit of hair can make a big difference.

Of course, and unfortunately, we can't get our 18 year old heads of hair back. Those days are gone. But if we can live with and abide by the economics of supply and demand (balding area = demand, donaor hair = supply), then hair transplant surgery, under the umbrella of the IAHRS, can be wonderful.

Good luck!

TeeJay

Smile Thank you!!!

Thanks guys!

Spencer, I know you are a very busy man and I appreciate it so much that you take time to answer my questions and to help me personally. This means more to me than anything. When my Mom told me about your your books and show, and the American Hair loss association I could not believe that someone like yourself existed and I really do feel lucky to have found your information. I didn't do any research before and just saw the commercial, called the number and went in for an appointment and agreed to have surgery. Boy was I stupid!
    I know that feeling depressed about my hair loss is par for the courses, but reading your comments and listening to you speak about all of the emotional stuff that we all go through makes me feel better about myself and it really helps. Do you plan on archiving any more of your radio shows on the site? I try to tune in every Sunday but I’ll miss today’s show.

I am feeling disappointed because I made the decision to do something about my hair loss and felt that I was on my way to getting past this problem and solving it. Now I’m back to square one, and I know that I am lucky that I have all of this knowledge now, but it sucks that my dream of regaining a full head of hair is just a pipe dream. I know you guys understand.

The B Spot and Teejay73, thank you for your advice. You guys are very knowledgeable so I really appreciate your input.
    I don't have a working camera right now, but I will work on getting one. For now I’m just going to read as much as I can and research, research research. I would like to eventually meet some patients too.

Thanks for listening!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by HelpROGER View Post
    Thanks guys!

Spencer, I know you are a very busy man and I appreciate it so much that you take time to answer my questions and to help me personally. This means more to me than anything. When my Mom told me about your your books and show, and the American Hair loss association I could not believe that someone like yourself existed and I really do feel lucky to have found your information. I didn't do any research before and just saw the commercial, called the number and went in for an appointment and agreed to have surgery. Boy was I stupid!
    I know that feeling depressed about my hair loss is par for the courses, but reading your comments and listening to you speak about all of the emotional stuff that we all go through makes me feel better about myself and it really helps. Do you plan on archiving any more of your radio shows on the site? I try to tune in every Sunday but I’ll miss today’s show.

I am feeling disappointed because I made the decision to do something about my hair loss and felt that I was on my way to getting past this problem and solving it. Now I’m back to square one, and I know that I am lucky that I have all of this knowledge now, but it sucks that my dream of regaining a full head of hair is just a pipe dream. I know you guys understand.

The B Spot and Teejay73, thank you for your advice. You guys are very knowledgeable so I really appreciate your input.
    I don't have a working camera right now, but I will work on getting one. For now I’m just going to read as much as I can and research, research research. I would like to eventually meet some patients too.

Thanks for listening!
    Hey HelpRoger,

I’m glad to help and thanks for the kind words. I want you to know that I feel privileged to do what I do, and I’m never too busy to help out when I can.

Oh, and yes we do plan to archive more programs soon.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

HelpRoger,

So glad you got some research in before "getting sold" by a hair mill. It's amazing that after adequate research, one can begin to see the reality of the limitations of surgical hair restoration. Many of these big chains utilize late night informercials that are IMHO, emotionally driven to lure in the unsuspecting consumer suffering from hairloss. I have yet to hear one of these hair mills state that surgical hair restoration is not right for everyone and that you may not be a good candidate or not a candidate at all.

They make it look like anyone can do it. They never comment on how the variances in hair characteristics, density, etc can and will make all of the difference in the world in the visual result. They don't encourage patients to consider the extent of hairloss in one's famiy history. They do not discuss limitations of the donor supply. Nor do they explain what in fact MPB is and the fact it is a progressive life-long event.

The best thing you can do right now is to keep doing your research including the medicinal side of treating MPB. Are you using Propecia, minoxidil, etc?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Helproger,

I’ve been listening to Spencer’s show for almost 11 years and he has always been there for us. It’s because of him that I still have hair on my head and that I never had to pay for therapy. I know it sucks to hear the truth sometimes, but as they say, the truth will set you free. If you’re not on Propecia, start taking it, you might not need a hair transplant in a year. The stuff works!

I think the option of waiting is always a good one. The more informed you are the better you’ll feel when you do decide to have a hair transplant. I learn something new practically every day here.

Quote Originally Posted by blowmeup View Post
    I think the option of waiting is always a good one. The more informed you are the better you’ll feel when you do decide to have a hair transplant. I learn something new practically every day here.
    This is so true and the knowledge also spurs the right questions to ask in the consultation. It also helps the patient evaluate themselves more realistically and within their own unique limitations. Some end up concluding that they are really not ideal candidates for surgical hair restoration in spite of what their emotions are telling them. It's not as easy as it sounds and any of us who have suffered hairloss know exactly what I mean.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin