Meeting With Dr. Fisher Today - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Meeting With Dr. Fisher Today

Wow! What a difference in the meeting today with Dr. Fisher, and the consultation I had with Bosley a couple weeks ago.

First of all, the gentleman I spoke with at the Bosley consultation never once touched my head, or examined my hair. But today, the very first thing Dr. Fisher did after introducing himself and shaking my hand was to say that he needed to examine my donor area to see how many grafts would be available. He immediately walked around behind my chair and within 2 minutes was able to tell me the approximate number of grafts that he would be able to get from the back of my head. And get this - The number he gave me was 500 less than Bosley, and they never even touched my head. How did they determine that they would be able to do a certain number of grafts without even looking at my head? Hmmm.....

Second, Dr. Fisher explained that he would not be able to get enough grafts to cover the back of my head, the top of my head, and the front of my head. But, Bosley did not have any problem telling me they could cover all three areas in one session.

Dr. Fisher asked me which area I would like to address, since we couldn't do all of my areas. I told him the top and back bothered me more than my receding hairline. He then had me move over to a stool in front of a mirror. He turned my back to the mirror and handed me a small mirror. He explained that the hair directly around my bald spot on the uppermost back of my head, would continue to fall out. He said it might stay around for another 4 or 5 years, but it would fall out. He then explained that if he did grafts in this bald spot, when the hair around it fell out, it would look really funny. So, he used a washable marker to draw on my head the area that he said he would suggest the grafts be added. This made a lot of sense and I could tell this man knew what he was talking about.

He wasn't trying to sell me anything. He was totally honest about what he could and could not do. He said he wanted me to know up front what the expectations, and limitations are, so that when it is all over, I would not be disappointed.

I have scheduled a procedure with him in the middle of June. He gave me a list of Dos and Don'ts before and after surgery. A list of medicines not to take before surgery. He also gave me three prescriptions and told me to get them filled before the day of the procedure. That way, I'll have them as soon as it is over, and won't have to go by the drugstore on the way home, with my head all wrapped up.

Interestingly, he never said one negative thing about Bosley the whole time I was there. In fact, he said that Dr. Bosley himself did some very good work. Dr. Fisher is a class act.

I saw dr fisher last september and he was very nice like your saying. He said he can only do 600 grafts. He wouldn't even have performed anymore in the front due to shockloss. I am really thinking of scheduling a procedure with him too. I wear my hair long to cover the balding in the front. Im sick of it but I'm afraid 6-800 grafts isnt worth the scar??

cant see the photos?? He reccomended only 6-700 grafts for me in september.

Ok, here are my pix currently. I will post more after the procedure in middle of June.

Doc says he can only get 1500 grafts, due to the lack of density in my donor area. These grafts will go on the top.

Thanks for the posts and good luck. I am going for a 2nd consult with him next week. Your donor hair looks like it has a lot of density,wonder why only 1500 grafts. Curiously how old are you? I am 32 with diffuse thinning but worst in the front. Thats where I would want all my grafts. He said 600-700 grafts. Doesn't seem like much. I don't know if I have realistic expectations, thats why I'm uncertain about the procedure and Im scared of the scar.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

If you are in the Nashville area you are lucky because Dr. Fisher does really nice work. He will certainly give you a honest opinion of what your options are and will be given realistic expectations. Good luck.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    If you are in the Nashville area you are lucky because Dr. Fisher does really nice work. He will certainly give you a honest opinion of what your options are and will be given realistic expectations. Good luck.
    Dr. Charles,

Yes, I am only about an hour from Nashville. I got the same impression from Dr. Fisher. Seemed to be very concerned that I had realistic expectations.

I'll continue to keep everyone updated, as I go through this process.

Thanks!

Thumbs up

I’ve heard only good things about Dr. Fisher.

Fleetwood, I am scheduled for a HT with Dr. fisher also, on June 20th. I am happy to hear your experience that you had with your consultation. I am a about 4 hrs from Nashville so I opted for a telephone consultation. I emailed him several head shot photos and just from looking at the photos he believes he can do about 1500 grafts in the crown/top area of my hair. I have some receding hairline, but he stated he would not recommend touching that now because of my age and his concern if it continues to recede. He said it would look funny with new hair growing in the front and falling out as it progresses back, but he stated he would look again the day of the procedure and determine if he thinks I should get it done. I am 30 and have been balding since around 22..my main area of hair loss is the crown and top (towards the back) of my head. I feel pretty confident with choosing Dr. Fisher. He has a good reputation and a lot of experience. He was also very honest, polite, and professional when I spoke to him on the phone. I could tell he was also concerned and not just trying to sell me something. He spoke to me about my age in regards to expectations and limitations that I should take into consideration. I also thought about going to Bosley before finding Dr. Fisher and your post just reiterated that I have made a good decision by choosing Dr. Fisher.

I am excited and a little nervous about the procedure, but I know I will be happy with the results and it will be worth it. Keep us updated on how your procedure goes..

Quote Originally Posted by dgman21 View Post
    Thanks for the posts and good luck. I am going for a 2nd consult with him next week. Your donor hair looks like it has a lot of density,wonder why only 1500 grafts. Curiously how old are you? I am 32 with diffuse thinning but worst in the front. Thats where I would want all my grafts. He said 600-700 grafts. Doesn't seem like much. I don't know if I have realistic expectations, thats why I'm uncertain about the procedure and Im scared of the scar.
    Dgman, I too was concerned with the number of grafts. He told me about 1500 for my crown area. I thought it would be more from looking at other sites transplantations. I have heard of FUE for procedures that need smaller number of grafts... Let us know how your consult goes....