+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy a little about myself....

Hi, I'm an 18 years old ( up until now) normal teenager. as of lately I've been getting a lot of " dude, I think you're going bald " from friends and colleagues. of course I usually just dismissed it with " nah, its just the way my hair is ". and that was truly what I believed, until one day I thought why not just take a picture of the back of my head , and oh my God. there it was, my worst night mare , my hair was thin in that area ( not bald yet ) and after a night of panic, crying and google search I realized I might just have mail pattern baldness....
    the next morning I went straight to my dermatologist, he examined my scalp a little bit , asked a few questions and then he dropped the bomb. he give me a few information and prescribed a Minoxidil spray and a shampoo, he said that I could reserve my hair if I applied the spray twice a day for the rest of my life ....
    well I guess thats all, just one more thing..... this really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by b0xel View Post
    ........ he give me a few information and prescribed a Minoxidil spray and a shampoo, he said that I could reserve my hair if I applied the spray twice a day for the rest of my life ....
    well I guess thats all, just one more thing..... this really sucks
    Welcome
    Yes, it does suck .
    Who wants to take meds or spray their hair with crap for the rest of their life
    My suggestion, For what it's worth, start cutiing your hair shorter each time .
    Try to get use to it and embrace it . I know easier said thn done , because I still have issues dealing with it .
    Do you have any friends your age who cut their hair really short .
    See what they look like , talk to them .
    Good luck

hair loss at 18 is like hearing you have cancer. I'm sorry this has happened to you, but do those things and you will at least maintain what u currently have if not grow some more back in a few months. U can also use toppik which is like a concealer which will cover ur crown and make it look like u have no hair loss at all. Ur friends will be shocked

You won't have to use them for the rest of your life because these solutions do not last forever.

If you're willing to risk the side effects you might want to look into propecia. As this is what will help you to stop the loss, for a few years at least (if effecting).
    Minox only boosts growth of what you already have, but will not stop further loss.

However minox will make it look like you have stopped loss because if it works for you it will regrow your hair (until it stops working).

Quote Originally Posted by kanyon View Post
    You won't have to use them for the rest of your life because these solutions do not last forever.

They served me well for more than 10 years.
    Why you people make it sound like we have nothing to hope for ? Hopefully in a few years we will have a real treatment or even a cure.

Dude, just use minoxidil for now and even try Fin. You should be able to hold on to what you have at least until we have something better.