+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

first of all, a great job done on this forum, good info, well researched, no bs. I started losing my hair roughly a year ago, and in October of last year I had FUE treatment, some 1250 follicles to the front hairline with a good result. I'm the kind of guy that likes to style my hair, comb it back etc. but have ceased doing it out of fear of increasing my hair loss. As I don't know how much hair I will lose it's hard to know if it's worth topping up my hair loss bit by bit with FUE as it could potentially cost a fortune and still not yield the desired density I'm looking for. My question is should I wait for 5-10 years in the hope of a revolutionary cure or is it a waste of time, being bald is simply something I can't and won't put up with, I'm not sure I can wait that long!

If you're happy after your HT, then I don't see what the problem is. As long as you're satisfied with what you have now, you don't need to think about future HTs. If you can wait 5-10 years then your hair loss doesn't seem to bother you that much. I'm counting seconds to the "promised" treatment in 2014 even though I know it'll probably be another false promise.

So, like I said, if you can live with what you have now and it doesn't get worse don't waste more money on another HT. Who knows ? A miracle might happen and a treatment for this god damn ****ing curse might come out even sooner. MIGHT.

Thanks for your reply, just to clarify, behind the ht area my hair is falling out and in the next year or so it will probably thin out/bald. Would I be right in assuming the FUE ht is incapable of restoring my natural hair density if I was to go bald and if so do you think there will be a novel treatment capable of such a restoration in the not so distant future?That's the only reason I would wait so long!

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Are you on Propecia? If not - then get on it. It will with high probability stop further hair loss for you. I am on it and it has stopped my hair loss for the last 14 months, and even thickened my crown. Good luck. I am considering FUE as well. Who did you go to - happy to hear you are happy with the first result.

No I'm not on propecia at the moment, is finasteride the same as I know how to get it quite cheaply!I also bought a 4 month supply of rogaine 5% foam, can I use both the foam and the tablets?I had my ht done at the ailsbury clinic in Ireland, they have clinics in london and Serbia also, they guarentee 90% success tho I have noticed quite a number of them falling out, what is this revolutionary procedure supposed to be out in 2014, is it the answer?

Finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia. You can use the Rogaine in combination with the Fin. It's definitely a good idea to do so if you feel you're losing hair quite rapidly.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the help Matt, using both of those products what are my chances of sustaining and thickening my hair?

Ricardo, not all respond the same way to Minoxidil and/or Fin. Some people regrow hair, some people maintain what they have and stop losing more, some continue to lose hair but at a much slower rate, and some just don't respond positively to either but I would say they're the smaller portion of all. I think minimum you'd probably slow down the loss. Don't be scared to use Fin. Just give it a try without listening to what some others might tell you. If you're lucky enough you'll keep your hair until one of the four companies that are leading the fight against hair loss come up with something. There's really no word on when that's going to happen as dates keep changing and pushed back all the time. We're just HOPING that this time we get something solid. Histogen has given the year 2014 as a possible date for their treatment but you never know how things go. They use injections -into the scalp I think- to grow hair. I'm not expecting miracles though.

Why didn't you go for FUTs ? As far as I know FUEs have a higher failure rate.

The truth is NO transplant can give you what you originally had unless you have a very small balding area and a whole lot of donor hair. But still, anything is better than bald .

Thanks for the help victim of DHT, to answer your question I had FUE as it was only1250 follicles and to be honest I don't like the idea scalpels and a large scar. Is it true FUT is usually cheaper than FUE, because where I'm from FUT is over twice as dear as FUE....another reason I chose the latter, and the two clinics offering these two procedures are 10 minutes drive apart!!!!if you were me would you wait till 2014?

FUE is much more time consuming than FUT, which means it usually costs a lot more. Perhaps of the clinics near you, the one offering FUE is especially cheap and the FUT surgeon excessively expensive.

With the two treatments we're talking about you have a pretty good chance of at least slowing your hairloss. It's usually best to not to hope too much that you'll also see re-growth, and if it does occur then that's a welcome bonus.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com