+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Want to have a HT and need some advice (32yo male) [photos inside]

Hi

I am 32 year old male based in Manchester (UK) who has been suffering from hair loss since I was around 26-27. I am losing my hair on the top, but I still have very thick\coarse hair around the sides and back. My hair colour is black (although going a bit grey in places) and my skin colour is olive. I do cut my hair short and always have.

I have tried the regain foam and nizoral for 6 months, but not seen much effect.

I would say I am about 50-60% bald on the top of my head, but I want to have surgery to bring my hair back to 100% (or as close as). I have put 6 photos below: http://img197.imageshack.us/g/img0450tk.jpg/

My questions are:

- What surgical treatment would you recommend?

- If money was no object what surgery\surgeon would you recommend? I am willing to travel anywhere in the EU for treatment

- Anything else I should do?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Not sure if getting a 100% of your hair back is a realistic expectation to start with. If you decide to start this process you may want to re-adjust your expectations.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Not sure if getting a 100% of your hair back is a realistic expectation to start with. If you decide to start this process you may want to re-adjust your expectations.
    No that is appreciated hence why I put a caveat of "or as close as" around the statement.

My expectations are in check, just want to do the very best possible and I will be happy!

Here is a photo of the top of my head:

All photos here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/img0451xk.jpg/

Anyone got any views?

Dr Umar is the guy for you.

You clearly suit short hair so you could even consider BHT (body hair transplant) IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mens Rea View Post

You clearly suit short hair so you could even consider BHT (body hair transplant) IMO.
    With all due respect, Dr. Umar has an unproven track record and is one of the biggest self promoters on the internet. Body hair transplantation is only a last resort and should be saved for really bad repair cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    With all due respect, Dr. Umar has an unproven track record and is one of the biggest self promoters on the internet. Body hair transplantation is only a last resort and should be saved for really bad repair cases.
    Well i dont have personal experience or personal affinity so i can't say either way.

He's just about the only doc ive yet to hear a bad report about yet. He's also one of the most enterprising and capable from my research. But as i say, that's just from being told.

Quote Originally Posted by amaze View Post
    Hi

I am 32 year old male based in Manchester (UK) who has been suffering from hair loss since I was around 26-27. I am losing my hair on the top, but I still have very thick\coarse hair around the sides and back. My hair colour is black (although going a bit grey in places) and my skin colour is olive. I do cut my hair short and always have.

I have tried the regain foam and nizoral for 6 months, but not seen much effect.

I would say I am about 50-60% bald on the top of my head, but I want to have surgery to bring my hair back to 100% (or as close as). I have put 6 photos below: http://img197.imageshack.us/g/img0450tk.jpg/

My questions are:

- What surgical treatment would you recommend?

- If money was no object what surgery\surgeon would you recommend? I am willing to travel anywhere in the EU for treatment

- Anything else I should do?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Get on propecia and rogaine foam asap. Then evaluate how you are responding to those treatments after one year before even considering a HT. I know its not what u want to hear but any HT surgeon worth their salt will tell you the same. There are some good ht clinics out there but i would go with either shapiro medical group or hasson and wong. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hdude46 View Post
    Get on propecia and rogaine foam asap. Then evaluate how you are responding to those treatments after one year before even considering a HT. I know its not what u want to hear but any HT surgeon worth their salt will tell you the same. There are some good ht clinics out there but i would go with either shapiro medical group or hasson and wong. good luck.
    Probably the best advice on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mens Rea View Post

Hi - Not sure BHT is right for me. The back of my head is a "great donor site" as its very thick and coarse according to a consultation I went too.

Quote Originally Posted by hdude46 View Post
    I have been using rogaine for nearly 6 months now and not seen any material difference. I don't want to use propecia, I would prefer to have surgery than ingest propecia ED for the rest of my days.

I just took a look at those clinics and they look good, but they are are on the wrong side of the atlantic. Ideally, looking for something in the EU or is it worth making that effort to travel there? Also can you do consultations remotely?