+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Economic Recession Yet More Bosley Hair Transplant Ads

Am I nuts or are there ore commercials for Bosley Hair Restoration on TV then ever before??? It does not matter what time I turn on the TV, I see an ad for Bosley. You would think that since this country is in such a economic crises that hair transplants would be the last thing on people’s minds. Not mine of course, but normal people.

Ugh, I hear ya Laserhead. I can't stand Bosley informercials. Every time I see one on my TV, I wanna throw a brick at it. I can't stand the one where they have the fruitcake from American Idol hosting it. He actually equates hair transplant surgery to teeth whitening. I have had both done now, and I can say without reservation whatsoever that they are NOTHING like one another! Hair transplantation is invasive surgery, with medication, blood, stitches, recovery time, and lots of other stuff. Teeth whitening is nothing more thana laser shining on your teeth for about 30 minutes. That's it. Done. I know Bosley MAY have come a long way in the quality of their hair transplants, but what I so dislike about them is their persistence in misleading vulnerable hair loss sufferers about hair transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Ugh, I hear ya Laserhead. I can't stand Bosley informercials. Every time I see one on my TV, I wanna throw a brick at it. I can't stand the one where they have the fruitcake from American Idol hosting it. He actually equates hair transplant surgery to teeth whitening. I have had both done now, and I can say without reservation whatsoever that they are NOTHING like one another! Hair transplantation is invasive surgery, with medication, blood, stitches, recovery time, and lots of other stuff. Teeth whitening is nothing more thana laser shining on your teeth for about 30 minutes. That's it. Done. I know Bosley MAY have come a long way in the quality of their hair transplants, but what I so dislike about them is their persistence in misleading vulnerable hair loss sufferers about hair transplants.
    I don't believe the Bosley has come a long way with their quality. I know that Spencer says this on his radio show, and I respect Spencer a lot, but I think he’s being diplomatic when he says how much better they are . If this were true they would be listed on The American Hair Loss Association website. I have also heard Spencer say that he would not recommend Bosley to anyone at this time. You can see how shoddy their before and after pictures are and all of their testimonials are shot with dark overhead lighting. Now that I have been educated on what to look for I can see how deceptive these ads are.
    The idea that they compare surgery with teeth whitening is despicable to me! I guess I becoming one of those zealots after being ripped of by the laser scam guys and finally finding honest information about this stuff.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Laserhead View Post
    I don't believe the Bosley has come a long way with their quality. I know that Spencer says this on his radio show, and I respect Spencer a lot, but I think he’s being diplomatic when he says how much better they are . If this were true they would be listed on The American Hair Loss Association website. I have also heard Spencer say that he would not recommend Bosley to anyone at this time. You can see how shoddy their before and after pictures are and all of their testimonials are shot with dark overhead lighting. Now that I have been educated on what to look for I can see how deceptive these ads are.
    The idea that they compare surgery with teeth whitening is despicable to me! I guess I becoming one of those zealots after being ripped of by the laser scam guys and finally finding honest information about this stuff.
    Hey Guys,

I don't think your imagining things Laserhead, I too see more and more Bolsey commercials on TV in Los Angeles. I just posted on article on www.thebaldtruth.com that addresses the idea that The Business of Hair is recession proof. In my opinion, even during the worst of economic times, there are a few businesses that are relatively bullet proof and besides booze and certain types entertainment, The Business of Hair makes this very exclusive list.

Oh and for the record, I really do believe that Bosley has come a long way. I just don’t see the evidence that they are consistently performing state for the art hair transplantation, so they are currently not recommended by the IAHRS or the AHLA.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laserhead View Post
    Am I nuts or are there ore commercials for Bosley Hair Restoration on TV then ever before??? It does not matter what time I turn on the TV, I see an ad for Bosley. You would think that since this country is in such a economic crises that hair transplants would be the last thing on people’s minds. Not mine of course, but normal people.
    You would think so, but if you think about it there are many reasons someone might want to consider cosmetic surgery including hair transplants during this and other recessions. Having come through the recessions of '87 and and the tech stock crash I have found this to be the case in my own practice.

During a recession there are inevitable job layoffs and many middle-aged managers are concerned about competing with younger employees and appearing more youthful, leading them to get a HT and/or other cosmetic procedures. Young graduates want to present the best appearance during competitive job interviews. Appearance means a lot in our society. Many individuals who are fairly well off, but have a lull in their business can now find the time to get the HT they always wanted.

Although I can't speak specifically for Bosley's corporate strategy, you should remember, they are part of a large affluent Japanese corporation called Adderans who have very deep pockets and can afford to increase marketing during this time, probably a wise idea.

So these are my opinions regarding your questions. Hope they help.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Great point about the ads---I have to turn the channel when I see them!!!

Anyway, I think clinics have an opportunity to build excellent patient relationships during these tough economic times. While every prospective patient understands that hair transplantation is a business, there is something to be said for working with patients who cannot afford to pay full fees---- indeed, many of these same patients decide to go to clinics advertising 2-3.00 dollar per graft, simply out of frustration and the belief that all clinics are relatively equal.

My advice to patients is to ask about short notice and cancellation dates in order realize discounts. If that fails, simply let your clinics know what you can afford and see what can be done. I am happy to report many satisfied patients who felt priced out of particular clinics rates, only to report back the clinic was working within their budget to find a solution.

It never hurts to ask!!!!

Take Care,
    Jason

Arrow

Great points Dr. Pistone. I think that’s excellent advice B Spot. Most patients assume the price of the procedure is set in stone. This is not always the case as you pointed out. If a patient has a flexible schedule, they can save a significant amount off the cost of surgery by electing to be put on a “standby" list.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Is not MHR and Bosley under the same ownership and control?

The reasoning of the hair mills kicking up their advertising during tough economic times is two-fold. They know that getting a HT is more an emotional based decision on the consumer's part. So they play even more on those depressed emotions.

In addition, they have HUGE overhead so when they get fewer calls coming in during tough times, they spend more advertising to generate more consultations.

IMHO, most of their work is on new uninformed unsuspecting consumers!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin