+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Nanogen's "VEGF"

It sounds like bull-shit, but has anyone tried out Nanogen's new anti-hairloss concoction, apparently predicated on the idea of using VEGF, rather than minoxidil, to increase blood-supply to hair-follicles?

http://www.nanogenhair.com/hair-growth-serum.htm

Doubt it works

It promotes "natural hair growth" lol.... see how they word it? Clever buggers.

Its bullshit - I was doing some research on this a few weeks ago and found forum after forum of pissed off users -

Most of the shit out there is using the "sophisticated stem cell" labelling to convince customers its some kind of miricle FDA passed "Histogen style cure".

These ****ers shouldn't be allowed to sell these products without atleast some official clinical proof.

I think this should also answer your question, 99.9% of companies that use a statement like this are selling snake oil.

Any information found on this site has not been evaluated by the FDA. Our products are not intended to treat, diagnose, or prevent any disease.

UK, even vitamins and supplements have that on their labels...so all of those are scams?

Quote Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
    UK, even vitamins and supplements have that on their labels...so all of those are scams?
    I was actually referring to companies selling hair loss products, thought the term "snake oil' would've made that clear.

Vitamins dont make ridiculous claims to regrow hair do they? (Well TRX2 does, but it also has a similar disclaimer as the one shown above ) If this product has not been approved by the FDA - then how on Gods earth do you know it works? Lol. A DIS-claimer is exactly that; telling you their claims are bullshit - it's really that simple.

Just a question, will you be buying this product? If not may I ask why?

Quote Originally Posted by HairTalk View Post
    It sounds like bull-shit, but has anyone tried out Nanogen's new anti-hairloss concoction, apparently predicated on the idea of using VEGF, rather than minoxidil, to increase blood-supply to hair-follicles?

http://www.nanogenhair.com/hair-growth-serum.htm
    Not sure why you think it's bullshit, unless of course you know nothing about hair loss. There are lots of papers including one from Harvard showing hair growth. What I'm impressed with is that they use actual growth factor (not peptides like all others before them)

I'm defending Nanogen as they seem to be doing some innovative work. I'm sure they want to make a profit but does every drug company. Maybe if people actually did research and properly evaluated the bullshit stuff from the pioneering stuff then good companies would have more research money.

Minoxidil is not so unique anymore. The mechanism of action is known. Growth factors work in a different way. They could work in harmony.

Search VEGF and Harvard.

Quote Originally Posted by andy1965 View Post
    Not sure why you think it's bullshit, unless of course you know nothing about hair loss. There are lots of papers including one from Harvard showing hair growth. What I'm impressed with is that they use actual growth factor (not peptides like all others before them)

I'm defending Nanogen as they seem to be doing some innovative work. I'm sure they want to make a profit but does every drug company. Maybe if people actually did research and properly evaluated the bullshit stuff from the pioneering stuff then good companies would have more research money.

Minoxidil is not so unique anymore. The mechanism of action is known. Growth factors work in a different way. They could work in harmony.

Search VEGF and Harvard.
    I think it's bull-shit because it looks to be another magic-potion item that's marketed with buzzwords like, "V.E.G.F." and "growth factors" — exotic, scientific-sounding terms that land with just enough familiarity on the ears of persons who periodically Google news on hairloss-treatment.

You defer to some papers and imply you have a bit of knowledge (at least more than I) about hairloss; cite the papers and share your knowldge — don't haughtily ask me to search for a couple of terms.

V.E.G.F. works within the body to promote the formation of blood vessels; to my knowledge, no scientific study (to May, 2011) demonstrates that any form of the compound, applied topically or taken orally, is effective in halting or reversing hairloss. Again, if your knowledge outreaches this, back it up.

Finally, the "peptides" you've casually brushed off your shoulder are what compose a great number of "growth factors"; I'm uncertain why you appear to dismiss the former while applauding the latter.

Default @hairtalk

I don't want to get into a flaming row. Let's not get personal. I mean disrespect to you. I am a scientist and studied biochemistry.

You replied "I think it's bull-shit because it looks to be another magic-potion item that's marketed with buzzwords like, "V.E.G.F." and "growth factors" — exotic, scientific-sounding terms that land with just enough familiarity on the ears of persons who periodically Google news on hairloss-treatment."

It may look like another potion but it isn't like that. Whilst I understand your frustration (along with mine) at the number of snake oil products, PLEASE do not tarnish this technology with the same brush. VEGF does 100% increase angiogenesis (blood supply proliferation). There is no debate about this. Saying a product contains VEGF or growth factors is not using a buzzword. I fail to see your complaint.

Now peptides are different. This is where your scepticism should be. Most are totally unsuitable and umproven (even in vitro or theoretically). That's the bullshit buzzwords where I share your frustration. Peptide just means small amino acid chains. It's true that growth factors or cytokines are composed of protein like structures but peptide that i meant in the everyday sense in hairloss are all smoke and mirrors in my view. Its ironic and with respect tragic that you buy into peptides but not GF.

If you look at the best argument for peptide mechanism of action, it is actually to mimic growth factors! VEGF is the real thing. I'm passionate as I don't want this technology stiffled by understandable but still misguided cynacism. Just be careful of confusing real growth factor with fake growth factor mimicking peptides. There are also lots of growth factors and you need to be very careful with you use (some upregulate and some downregulate different cellular actions). That's the problem with peptides. They are too broad brush.

As for studies, I was talking to the people at Nanogen at ISHRS and trust me they are serious. Trials are underway but they are not cheap nor fast. Plus you have the dilemma if they work!!! Makes it a drug and therefore can't be sold!! Sometimes informal unpublished studies take place between leading doctors and the word spreads to allow products to sell as cosmetics. I must confess that I never knew about this world until I went there but it makes sense.

If you look at Nanogen growth factor. It's is declared as real VEGF. Not herbal ingredient that increases body production of VEGF or peptide that purports to mimic VEGF. Like Coke, it's the real thing. And synthesised in plants. All very clever stuff that must have cost a fortune. This is very exciting. Maybe other companies are moving in this direction too.

I wish u good wishes as a fellow sufferer navigating the murky snake oil waters.

I can't list papers as no access to pubmed but there are lots including a study by Harvard medical school (or associated hospital). It is very well known that VEGF promotes blood supply.

Haha. I meant to write "I mean no disrespect". Rubbish at typing!