+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Does propecia affect your " Weightlifting" in any way?

In terms of going to the gym and working out? Does blocking DHT reduce your strength or does it cause any other reaction ; positive or negative?

Quote Originally Posted by sebasmarin View Post
    In terms of going to the gym and working out? Does blocking DHT reduce your strength or does it cause any other reaction ; positive or negative?
    5ARI is not contained in muscles, so if it does anything it is totally minimal and you won't notice unless you are the size of Mr Olympia - and if you are I expect some of them might even use finasteride to protect their prostate from other steroids that have harmful side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez View Post
    5ARI is not contained in muscles, so if it does anything it is totally minimal and you won't notice unless you are the size of Mr Olympia - and if you are I expect some of them might even use finasteride to protect their prostate from other steroids that have harmful side effects.
    But i am the size of mr.olympia! lol
    thanks for the response man

Ive been on propecia over a month and I actually feel I have more energy at the gym than I did before. I seem to be able to lift more reps without getting as tired so fast. Maybe this is from the small increase of testosterone? I expect my body will even out again but I been feeling great for the first month at least!

It's a tough one. So T goes up 10-15% while DHT goes down 65-70%. I've decided not to available of finasteride but each to his own. I'm not a doctor but I hope to be in a few years. If you know anything about steroidogenesis you should know that finasteride doesn't make good reading. DHT is important for the central nervous system and is a precursor to neurosteroids. I've read about bodybuilders who wish to keep their hair while on a cycle of test so they take finasteride. Many complain that it effects their gains. While muscle growth is mainly down to training and T levels, neurological adaptions are important for strength training too. It's actually a complex issue. DHT inhibition effects central nervous signally during exercise so it's certainly not a good idea to be on fin.

My understanding of it is while you'll have slightly higher T levels which is good for muscle growth, you may actually fatigue quicker in the gym as your body becomes less efficient at making the neurological adaptions to more effectively recruit the muscle fibres as you near the limit.

The best example I've heard is one that involves german volume training where many sets are included. The weight doesn't come down but the reps per set do. Squatting for example, might be like: 10,8,6,6,4,5,5,3. When you drop to 4 reps and almost fail, the neurological adaptions kick in which actually allows you go one better the next set. This is where I think DHT may come in. Everything is connected. You have to examine it from a neuromuscular system standpoint to see the whole picture. It's a shame we don't have a good anti androgen topical on the market yet.

I have been on 5 AR inhibitors before and do believe I fatigued quicker. It's a tough call.

Actually just have a quick read of this:
    http://www.anabolic-bible.org/ShowPa...x?callpage=DHT

They're saying that:
    "The strong interaction between the central nervous system and skeletal muscles, collectively referred to as the neuromuscular system, is of key importance to the athlete. There appears little doubt that the ability of the body to adapt to training and its ability to activate nerve endings in muscle tissue are reliant on the interactions of the neuromuscular system. Inhibiting the formation of DHT during a testosterone cycle may therefore inadvertently interfere with strength and muscle mass gains. That’s why most people complain on the sudden drop in the steroid potency when a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor finasteride to a testosterone cycle."

It makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Follicle Death Row; 05-24-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: More info

I just won my first Mens Physique competition a few weeks ago...been on propecia for about 3-4 month

Its discussed before. DHT is important for CNS neural adaptations.

Khalil,
    Thanks for taking the time journal you regimen. Its always difficult to get an idea of results from photos alone. Would you say you're further along than expected at this point?

Even though Im doing 10-15% the dose of Kytheras Clinical trial doses of Seti, Im making good progress and Im excited for Fevi since its orders of magnitude better at inhibiting PGD2.

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by KhalilYousuf View Post
    Even though Im doing 10-15% the dose of Kytheras Clinical trial doses of Seti, Im making good progress and Im excited for Fevi since its orders of magnitude better at inhibiting PGD2.

We shall see.
    Dude you've lost ground on your silly seti trials. It doesn't work, end of story. PGD2 inhibition is a deadend without finasteride.